• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VIDEO 2009 - Deputy Cox threatens to shoot concealed carrier for accidental exposure

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Is this deputy still employed?

As mentioned earlier, probbaly promoted. Dawsey is very open about promoting violence against any population that would defy his kingship. Dean got him started and is in the FL senate now obstructiong anything related to human rights. They're birds of a feather. That's a part of Florida you can forget the Bill of Rights in. If they don't like you they just kill you. I'm surprised this Deputy shows so much restraint compared tot eh rest of them. There wouldn't be a video; every witness woud be dead and you'd never hear about it.

WalkingWolf

News 4 Jaxs WJXT - Man-arrested-despite-legally-carrying-gun-in-Florida
Wow, sometimes they report it AND get it right. Very little support for the officers actions and demeanor in the comment section.

Glad the officer was suspended, but it took them THREE years to do it. They knew from the start that he violated he man's rights, he should have been fired then, not three years later. It is downright a crime IMO to sit on bad behavior until it is pointed out viral on the internet. The department needs a new sheriff, and the prosecutor too. The officer should have been charged with a crime.

Thank God for the dash cam.

Last edited:

randian

Glad the officer was suspended, but it took them THREE years to do it. The knew from the start that he violated he man's rights, he should have been fired then, not three years later.
A (presumably paid) suspension is a long way from being fired. The lack of action by the prosecutor likely means they can't fire him without massive effort, which few government agencies will bother with.

77zach

I have the Pig's Address

I can't find anywhere in the statutes that says it's illegal to post it in the comments in the stories online. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

rvrctyrngr

A (presumably paid) suspension is a long way from being fired. The lack of action by the prosecutor likely means they can't fire him without massive effort, which few government agencies will bother with.

They can sure as hell prosecute his thug butt, though.

spacecoast321

Want to make sure I understand Open Carry and demand to produce.

So... When I go to/from hunting/fishing/camping/shooting and Open Carry as FL Statute 790.25(3)(g)(h), I do not have to produce identification or my CCW license upon demand by an LEO? Absent of course any other conduct on my behalf that would give LEO RAS/PC I had/am/will break the law.

FL Statute 790.06(1) The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer.

notalawyer

So... When I go to/from hunting/fishing/camping/shooting and Open Carry as FL Statute 790.25(3)(g)(h), I do not have to produce identification or my CCW license upon demand by an LEO? Absent of course any other conduct on my behalf that would give LEO RAS/PC I had/am/will break the law.

FL Statute 790.06(1) The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer.

I do not have to produce identification or my CCW license upon demand by an LEO? Absent of course any other conduct on my behalf that would give LEO RAS/PC I had/am/will break the law.
Correct, because you are not carrying under authority of 790.06. This applies to carrying concealed as well as open carry.

77zach

Open carry doing one of those things in 790.25 is an unlicensed activity. You don't have to show them your CWFL but they can ask for anything.

ADulay

Of the four times I've been stopped for "open carry", only one time was I actually asked for a CCW as I was then sitting inside a restaurant, wearing a cover garment, and that was a valid request. I had been seen in the parking lot putting on my cover garment and that's why there was a call put in by some "concerned citizen".

Open carry is basically an unlicensed activity. Concealed carry IS licensed and you must provide identification on demand for that.

Me? I make it easy all the way around. If the officer wants to see my CCW while I'm open carrying, he can see it. It's merely identification at that point.

AD (full time open carry advocate and practitioner)