• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911's!!!!!!!!!

glock27OKC

Just wanted to hear everyones opinion on the gun. I recieved one for christmas and love it. The only thing is, at first I was a little nervous about the hammer being back all the time but am now getting used to it. How many out there carry a 1911 daily? Did you have the same worry at first? What make of 1911 do you carry? :idea::idea: Although this is not my first 1911, it is the first that I have carried. I own a Kimber, Springfield, and a American Classic Amigo. All are great guns. Just never carried due to capacity issue and hammer back. Just wanted to spark up a little conversation on these awsome weapons.

JDPrice

I carry a colt 1991A1... A compact. The "cocked and locked" was different at first but its just visual... With the grip safety and the side lock... Plus the number 1 safety ( finger ) it is fine.

Zaeolos

I carry a Taurus PT1911AR. I too had the same worries you do now carrying in condition 1. It took a little while but I got used to it. I read a lot of other stories about carrying in condition 1 and it eased my mind about it. I have yet to hear a negative story. Just know that the hammer would have to get past two safeties (Thumb and Grip) to reach the firing pin, and that is only if it disengaged from the sear.

ethorman

Good news on the 1911 carry. I have a para USA GI Expert that I carry. I too was nervous at first however, I decided to get into gunsmithing and so therefore needed to know exactly how my 1911 worked. I used some videos on YouTube as well as a few Google searches and took it completely apart. Trigger bar, sear, disconnecter, etc... In doing so I found out that my 1911 has 3 safeties, (4) including the trigger finger. There is the slide safety, the grip safety, also a firing pin safety. In knowing this I feel much more comfortable carrying hammer back because all 3 would have to fail for the weapon to go off on its own. Hope this helps! Take your gun apart and see how all your components operate.

Trent91

I love my 1911, but I don't think I'll ever carry it daily just because my Glock is a whole pound lighter and has almost twice the capacity. I guess it's kind of apples to oranges because my Glock is chambered in .40, but hey:rolleyes:

I don't ever have a problem carrying it cocked and locked when plinking out in the sticks, though. The only difference from carrying a striker-fired sidearm with one in the chamber being you can justsee the hammer.

Edited to fix typo.

Last edited:

Peacemaker65

Just wanted to hear everyones opinion on the gun. I recieved one for christmas and love it. The only thing is, at first I was a little nervous about the hammer being back all the time but am now getting used to it. How many out there carry a 1911 daily? Did you have the same worry at first? What make of 1911 do you carry? :idea::idea: Although this is not my first 1911, it is the first that I have carried. I own a Kimber, Springfield, and a American Classic Amigo. All are great guns. Just never carried due to capacity issue and hammer back. Just wanted to spark up a little conversation on these awsome weapons.

I have a Kimber 1911 ultra compact. I was a little nervous about the hammer at first but when I got comfortable with the gun, I just take reasonable precautions. Besides the safety features already built into the gun, I use a thumbreak holster. Also, 1911's with beavertails on the grip safety help to cradle the hammer a bit to keep it a little more secure from being hit. This is my primary carry gun now for both open an concealed carry. I just got a Bianchi Fletch thumbreak holster that protects the gun very well and I am very comfortable now with carrying cocked and locked.

cbxer55

Kimber CDP II in .45ACP for me. I also have an old Colt Combat Commander in stainless that I carry once in awhile instead. It's slightly larger and heavier than the CDP II. Yeah, at first the hammer back thing was kind of worrying, but you get used to it after nothing untoward ever happens. All of todays guns have firing pin safeties as well, so the only way the firing pin drops is if you pull the trigger. Even if the gun was dropped and landed on the hammer, it would not fire because of this feature. On Kimber's the firing pin safety is de-activated when you squeeze the grip safety.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Good news on the 1911 carry. I have a para USA GI Expert that I carry. I too was nervous at first however, I decided to get into gunsmithing and so therefore needed to know exactly how my 1911 worked. I used some videos on YouTube as well as a few Google searches and took it completely apart. Trigger bar, sear, disconnecter, etc... In doing so I found out that my 1911 has 3 safeties, (4) including the trigger finger. There is the slide safety, the grip safety, also a firing pin safety. In knowing this I feel much more comfortable carrying hammer back because all 3 would have to fail for the weapon to go off on its own. Hope this helps! Take your gun apart and see how all your components operate.

NO modern gun ever goes off on it's own. Safeties are a illusion, guns go off when the trigger is pulled. If the hand gripping the 1911 squeezes the trigger and the thumb has tripped the thumb safety IT WILL GO OFF. This is probably the biggest cause of negligent discharges of all firearms, brain farts and illusions of safety. All guns are dangerous, they would be useless if they were not.

Last edited:

ethorman

I should have stated, all three safeties would have to fail and the sear still be tripped, via finger or fall etc... Then it could in theory go off on its own. I understand Ty don't just go off like vehicles don't just start up and drive down the road.

WalkingWolf

IMO the grip safety is no safety, when the gun is gripped to pull the trigger it is really difficult not to engage it. If the gun is dropped on the muzzle and there is not a firing pin safety the 1911 can fire from the inertia of the fall. Grip safety will not stop a ND in that scenario. If the finger is on the trigger and the thumb is wrapped around the grip well that is no safety. The only time I see the grip safety actually operate as a safety is when the 1911 is carried in condition 2. To cock the gun the grip safety will return to the position to block the trigger.

The thumb safety is useless if it is off, when it is on even if it fails the hammer has a notch that will stop the hammer from moving fully forward. The only way the gun is going to fire is that the safety is off. I have not seen or heard of any ND with a 1911 with the safety on. ND's are caused by negligence, plain and simple and safeties will not prevent this. Nor making claims it cannot happen because I guarantee that every person who has had a ND has claimed it can't happen until it does.

IMO the safest handgun is the one with NO safeties, such as my SA revolver, which is why I carry my 1911 in exactly the same manner. I have never had a ND, there is only one way to fire a SA revolver and it is deliberate. The hammer is not cocked until the gun is on target period. I have nothing against condition 1, but the illusion of safety is just that, an illusion. If the user has a brain fart and trips the safety, and grips the gun, and puts the finger in the trigger guard, it is likely to result in a bullet in the leg or arse. It won't be the holster's fault, it won't be the guns fault, or failure of the safeties. It will purely be the fault of the person who pulls the trigger.

One of the biggest problems with inexperienced 1911 users, is while getting "used" to condition one carry is playing with the gun. A big no no, plus almost every condition one user I have seen grabs the gun, flicks the safety, and as soon as the gun clears the holster the finger goes in the trigger. I am not accusing anybody just what I have seen. It is the same problem with glock users, or any other person that is getting comfortable carrying using poor gun handling habits. If a person is going to carry condition one be damn sure what you are doing, a gun is not something you get used to, or I should say get complacent. If you do not have the skills to confidently carry condition one with a 1911 it is a good way for a aww poop. Train, train, train please don't endanger others with inexperience and the illusions of safety.

It is a gun for God's sake, it was meant to throw a hard object very fast. Keep the hands off the gun unless needed and the fingers out of the trigger guard until needed. Put the safety on, and leave it on don't keep thumbing it, or you will screw up sooner or later.

Keylock

I carry a Detonics. Condition 2 as intended by it's designer. Doesn't have a grip safety. Carry a spare mag giving me 13 rounds total.

SSG Riser1981

I have carried a few differnt firearms in my day from my Springfield XD45 with a grip safety and the same kind of trigger the glock has. then I have carried a Bersa Thunder .380 which has so many safeties that I actually think its a little much but when the mag is loaded and round is chanbered it just the manual safety lever that removes the rolling block and then aim and pull trigger"Bersa has a MAG safet, Rolling Firering Pin Block and trigger lock". I have carried a EAA Windicator and it is a revolver but after I bought it and shot it and read the instructions I didnt like it. "why have a gun that the manufacturer tells you to carry it with one chamber empty and the hammer down on that empty chamber" maybe its all revolvers that say that but after that one I havent bought one since. I now carry on a daily basis a SIG Sauer 1911 XO. I carry it Condition 1. I was also worried when I first got it because of the hammer up but when I carried my XD the striker was cocked so i finally put it as hey my firearm has always been this way it is just now i see a larger striker. Plus the safety is always on when I carry the 1911, after training at the range, the safety has become second nature when I draw.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Metro Arms American Classic II, Hornady Zombie Max (AKA Critical Defense), cocked and locked. Serpa CQC level II holster. I'm actually more of a 9mm person, but no collection is complete with out a 1911.

hollabakzach23

I just recently purchased my first 1911 a few weeks ago mainly for my collection and I intend to carry it someday. Keyword bbeing someday. Wolf summed it up pretty well. If I am going to carry it I am going to make darn sure I understand everything about the firearm first. Ive only even shot just a few hundred rounds through it so I'm in no hurry to strap it to my hip and call it good. I still need to practice some draw techniques and getting used to the hammer and thumb safety set ups as they are much different than my glocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

LJennings

I carry a rocky full-size, cocked and locked. I'll admit I was nervous the first day i started carrying it seeing if the hammer would fall. And, before i get torn apart in here it was around the house EMPTY. I carried it for weeks like that both with and with out the thumb safety going through the "If i did this, would it" game and i have yet to have the hammer fall without my finger pulling the trigger.

Reiterating, I played the "what if game" empty.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
It seems to me I've seen a thumb-break holster for 1911's where the outer strap is designed to fit between the back of the slide and the cocked hammer. I mention this for anyone nervous about carrying Condition 1.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I have carried a EAA Windicator and it is a revolver but after I bought it and shot it and read the instructions I didnt like it. "why have a gun that the manufacturer tells you to carry it with one chamber empty and the hammer down on that empty chamber" maybe its all revolvers that say that but after that one I havent bought one since...

Isn't that a double-action revolver? You are right, a double-action revolver should be of a modern rebounding-hammer or transfer-bar design that should not require an empty charge hole to be safely carried. I did not know of any that needed it.

Only traditional single-action revolvers need such counsel. Some are traditional, and some are modern and can have all charge holes loaded safely when carried, depending on what kind of single-action you want to buy.

But I've never heard of it in a modern-manufactured double-action before.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Isn't that a double-action revolver? You are right, a double-action revolver should be of a modern rebounding-hammer or transfer-bar design that should not require an empty charge hole to be safely carried. I did not know of any that needed it.

Only traditional single-action revolvers need such counsel. Some are traditional, and some are modern and can have all charge holes loaded safely when carried, depending on what kind of single-action you want to buy.

But I've never heard of it in a modern-manufactured double-action before.

I googled for the/a EEA Windicator user manual.

Here's what it had to say:

1. HANDLING IN GENERAL
This revolver has an internal safety and does not require an unloaded chamber
under the hammer; however, we recommend you keep one chamber empty in the
cylinder and the hammer at rest on this empty chamber.

Makes ya wonder, don't it? Are they just being super-cautious--in case they're sued they can point to the user manual's recommendation? Or, is there something a little dodgy about their safety mechanism?

The next paragraph does say:

This revolver has an internal safety device which keeps the hammer from striking
the firing pin except when the hammer is all the way back in the full cock position
and the trigger is pulled completely back.

So, I'm kinda thinking its a legal liability thing.

Last edited: