• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How can protect its citizens from gun confiscation?

love4guns

Latley we all have been hearing that Obama may use executive force to remove guns from legal gun owners. Is there anything that VA can do as a state to prevent this from happening:question: A national database is all they need to begin that process. I hope we as Virginian's band together to fight the gun grabbing movement out there reguardless of race, religion, and so on. I was just wondering if our state constitution can overule any new orders created by the president or congress that involves disarming Virginians. I have heard that the national guard belongs to the state and its first duty is to protect the state, not sure if thats true.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I need to make the suggestion, but I've had in my head that it would be a good idea for our legislators to make it a crime for any state or local official or agent to participate, in any way, with the enforcement of federal firearms law, particularly what may be around the corner. Virginia laws surely encompass every aspect currently, and we as a people are able to generally have more interaction with our state level representatives and government.

The people of each state had some meaningful ability to control what went on in the US Senate by ensuring that our Senators were derived from the consent of the state legislatures, but the change to the US Constitution took away that protection. Now the US Senate has no meaningful representation of the state as a whole, at least that's my opinion.

SGTapone

Latley we all have been hearing that Obama may use executive force to remove guns from legal gun owners. Is there anything that VA can do as a state to prevent this from happening:question: A national database is all they need to begin that process. I hope we as Virginian's band together to fight the gun grabbing movement out there reguardless of race, religion, and so on. I was just wondering if our state constitution can overule any new orders created by the president or congress that involves disarming Virginians. I have heard that the national guard belongs to the state and its first duty is to protect the state, not sure if thats true.

I'm not from VA but I just dont get the idea that a gun grab is coming down the pipe JUST yet. or at least not with an executive order.
hey I could be wrong. just trying to look on the bright side

love4guns

If California, Washington, and Colorado can tell the government to pound sand over Pot. Then we can over gun rights

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Most of what will prevent a confiscation of existing firearms is active resistance against it. I do not expect that to be a choice made by a large segment of firearm owners, recent modern historical fiction notwithstanding.

Folks today are buying them "before they become banned" but have little if any plan for what to do with them in case they do become banned. Someone once said "when it's time to bury them, it's time to dig them up."

In the meantime, there are lots of discussions going on about how they could convert currently-legal items into contraband and what they would need to do (legally, morally, and realistically) to then go and collect the now-contraband items.

As for the States (individually or collectively) taking any action? Other than The Republic of Texas I don't know what they might do other than file lawsuits that will only be able (if successful) to undo stuff. It takes a minimum of three (3) years to change Virginia's constitution (pass enabling legislation two years in a row, then voter approval) so right now it would be about as fast to wait for the election cycle to throw old bums out and install new ones. Folks are going to need to get and remain riled up for quite some time to overcome the current two-party monoply lock on political candidacy.

We are now coming up on an election cycle. Get out there and find yourself a candidate that will represent your interests, work your tail off and financially support them until it hurts, and maybe make a change and a difference.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't think confiscation is a concern right now but JMelvin made a very, very, good suggestion.
Registration is possible and that does concern me right now.

Bowesmobile

If California, Washington, and Colorado can tell the government to pound sand over Pot. Then we can over gun rights

Here's the problem with that argument. With Pot in your hand you can't resist the Government. With a gun in your hand you can. They don't want you to resist. They want you to have no other choice.

I hate to say it. But with the civil war they washed away States rights. That coupled with the Presidents disregard for the Constitution and anyone that disagrees with him. I fear it may actually come down to bloodshed. To which I do not know the outcome of. I have been mulling this over in my head and I am so sad to even say that I think that will be the end and outcome. What my question is...What do you do when the ATF show up at your door?

SGTapone

ABSOLUTELY, I am actually pro "pot" the same as I am "pro-alchohol" I don't do either but I have the FREEDOM to choose if I want to, same as I have the FREEDOM (nay, the right) to chose to carry a gun. but we have to demand our rights.
just like
pro marijuana
anti prohibitionists
gay rights advocates
civil rights leaders

even though we have the 2nd amd. we HAVE to come with the same conviction we would if there was no 2nd amendment.
peaceful, stoic, and immovable

SGTapone

Here's the problem with that argument. With Pot in your hand you can't resist the Government. With a gun in your hand you can. They don't want you to resist. They want you to have no other choice.

I hate to say it. But with the civil war they washed away States rights. That coupled with the Presidents disregard for the Constitution and anyone that disagrees with him. I fear it may actually come down to bloodshed. To which I do not know the outcome of. I have been mulling this over in my head and I am so sad to even say that I think that will be the end and outcome. What my question is...What do you do when the ATF show up at your door?

they cant show up at my door if Im a homeless nomad.......

Im not.....

but I could be....

love4guns

I am hoping we can prevent your last sentence from even happening. If it does, I guess it'll be one big game of Hide n go Seek. Winner rules the loser!

Mayhem

If they ban guns.... who will take them from us?

There are far too many gun owners and many guns are owned off the books. I doubt that all cops will be on board to go take them. I know of a few cops that say they would refuse to do it.

They would need to have the national guard to go door to door and even still.................... they would not get them all!!!!!

I think the government will take guns in small steps. First will be assault rifles, next will be handguns. That leaves the people with a few hunting rifles and when the day comes to take them, the people will have little to fight back with.

My biggest fear is that America will be disarmed and then a future dictator like Obama will do anything they wish.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member

Regarding the issue of bloodshed, should it come to that, I think those who wish to violate the law, which is the Constitution, will quickly be on the wrong side of public opinion should this occur. How many neighbors will stand idly by while they watch the same peaceful neighbors who have watched their kids and have dined with them be murdered by thugs who have violated their oath of duty to the same people they now violate? Will there be some? Sure. Will there be many? Likely. Will it be all? No. The more and more people directly affected by the war of the government officials and agents against the people the more people will become active.

The vast majority of people simply wish to be left alone to go about their business in peace without watching neighbor after neighbor and friend after friend be rounded up and possibly killed. That is why you see so much lack of participation in government until something really stirs people up regarding a change in their lifestyle. Armed agents of the state coming down the roads to violate the sacred trust the people have with the government that they have established will shake the lives of people who never imagined such a thing, and have in many ways not considered it a possibility in this nation.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Bowesmobile

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I was listening to a talk radio station the other day and one caller was a police officer in Fairfax County. He said that very few of his fellow officers would go along with any orders to disarm private citizens (his words, not mine).

One thing that could be done is for county sheriffs to deputize a slew of folks and they go about arresting any federal agents, military, national guard. or chiefs of police that attempt to confiscate arms. That could be interesting.

WalkingWolf

Confiscation takes money and bodies, as long as the purse strings are held tight a gun grab is just not feasible. Heck they can't keep guns out of criminals hands. Another problem is the military are also gun owners, there guns will be confiscated first, IMO. Their families guns would be confiscated they will be in the position of having to choose the government or turning on somebodies family, that also have military if not their own families, and friends. Some troops in NOLA outright refused to take part in the gun grab after Katrina. Then there are the outright logistics of going from home to home in America, not like this could be done overnight, and without word getting out. It's one thing to raid a criminals house, another to start going door to door like the Nazis did. Their plan is to do one little step at a time, they are hoping for cooperation from the dupes, and they will get some of them to cooperate, maybe most of them. I do believe when the time comes to disarm all citizens there will be a continental congress stripping the executive branch of it's powers, and returning them to Congress. Congress can stop this quickly by cutting purse strings, if they have the balls.

Drastically reducing the size and budget of government is the answer to these power grabs. But the entitled are too easily led to slaughter by free stuff. Our efforts should not be just the 2A but the reduction of government.

Last edited:

USNA69

The unspoken reason that we gun owners are so determined to keep our guns is that it is our last hedge against a tyrannical government gone drunk on its own power. Of course, no one can state this too openly. They would be branded a crackpot with shouts of "You're crazy!! That could never happen here." I expect that similar comments were heard in Germany, Russia, China, Cuba, Venezuela ... I could go on. Sadly, it DID happen there, and we ought to take those lessons of history very seriously. Of course, I am not suggesting or encouraging armed insurrection.

The current White House interest in reducing gun violence is a shallow and transparent pretense. It is actually the hymn of the Obamanistas: Never let a crisis go to waste. Sandy Hook gave them the premise to open the issue of gun control ... the camel's nose under the tent. "Control" leads to "registration", which inevitably leads to "confiscation".

Here is what life looks like when the citizens have no means to resist a tyrannical government:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkg-bzTHeAk