• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Biden to meet with the NRA.....Why???

OC for ME

How about turning that question around. Why should the NRA meet with the administration. The NRA does not need Biden to disseminate their message to the citizenry.

Aknazer

Why? Public relations. This way they they can "claim" that they were getting input from everywhere and that they supposedly took the other side's input into consideration.

beebobby

Perhaps the administration wants to see if the NRA has any suggestions that might actually have a chance to pass muster with the majority of thinking Americans. The more input on this problem, the better chance of finding some solutions that everyone can live with.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Why would Biden meet with NRA?

Because he knows they'll play politics and sell out/compromise on certain things. And, when he gets their approval on certain things, the gun-grabbers can use that to promote that "even the NRA agrees..."

Remember the NRA's duplicitiy a few years ago? They negotiated a bill provision that expressly exempted them, but left every other gun-rights organization blowing in the wind. I think free-speech was the central issue, but can't recall. I also vaguely recall their initial justification as "we have to look out for ourselves" or some such.

Of course, if they negotiate away any rights, when the dust finally settles, NRA will strenuously object to any criticism by swearing up-and-down that something was gonna get passed and if they didn't compromise, the damage would have been far worse--even though they don't have a crystal ball to know for sure what will or won't pass.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
How about turning that question around. Why should the NRA meet with the administration. The NRA does not need Biden to disseminate their message to the citizenry.

Todays meeting is out in the open. Yesterdays meetings with "the victims" was closed door. Walmart declined to attend and was recontacted by the WH and they 'resuggested' Walmart attend. It really does not matter as, golden joe has already made up his mind.

eye95

Another example of the NRA not fighting the status quo hard enough. They have to know that they will get zero from this administration. The NRA should be talking tough and promising political consequences for any member of Congress that does not fight this effort tooth and nail. Voting no is NOT good enough. Our representatives should be pulling in the opposite direction, sponsoring legislation to do away with GFSZ, the real problem resulting in dead children.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

WalkingWolf

Because like Obama he has a overinflated ego, and thinks he can bully. It will be interesting if NRA puts him in his place.

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
Went exactly as I expected.....

Fairfax, Va. – The National Rifle Association of America is made up of over 4 million moms and dads, daughters and sons, who are involved in the national conversation about how to prevent a tragedy like Newtown from ever happening again. We attended today's White House meeting to discuss how to keep our children safe and were prepared to have a meaningful conversation about school safety, mental health issues, the marketing of violence to our kids and the collapse of federal prosecutions of violent criminals.

We were disappointed with how little this meeting had to do with keeping our children safe and how much it had to do with an agenda to attack the Second Amendment. While claiming that no policy proposals would be “prejudged,” this Task Force spent most of its time on proposed restrictions on lawful firearms owners - honest, taxpaying, hardworking Americans. It is unfortunate that this Administration continues to insist on pushing failed solutions to our nation's most pressing problems. We will not allow law-abiding gun owners to be blamed for the acts of criminals and madmen. Instead, we will now take our commitment and meaningful contributions to members of congress of both parties who are interested in having an honest conversation about what works - and what does not.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/n...g-today's-white-house-task-force-meeting.aspx

MKEgal

I don't think they look weak. I think they're trying to appear to be giving input, even though they know full well it will be completely ignored. So far, they have the most sensible suggestions, some of which haven't been tried before. Everything that's been tried before hasn't worked. Despite years, in some cases decades, of various control laws being in place there is no evidence that ANY of them has reduced the crime rate at all.

MSG Laigaie said:
Yesterdays meetings with "the victims" was closed door.
I heard on the radio this morning that some of those 'victims' were people like doctors.
What do they have to do with violent crime? They clean up the mess when someone is hurt, but that hardly qualifies them to have an educated opinion on what social control might have an effect to reduce crime.
The Brady Bunch, too, hasn't ever come up with a new suggestion.
One of the gun-grabbing ghouls (sponsored by the BB / Joyce Foundation) here in SE WI was raving about how she got to go to that meeting & see Biden.

eye95 said:
Our representatives should be pulling in the opposite direction, sponsoring legislation to do away with GFSZ, the real problem resulting in dead children.
Mark this day on the calendar - we agree on something.
The elected reps who really support the Constitution & citizens should be doing away with the "gun-free" school zone, making national Constitutional Carry (or at the very least, declaring that any carry permit is good in any state, for any citizen, just like a driver's license or marriage certificate).

nonameisgood

"Biden announces consensus has been reached" on AWB and high cap ban, or some such headline was on AP today. I do not think that word means what you think it means. Consensus says that all strong objections have been considered and found to be non-persuasive.

I think that half of the population probably shouldn't be ignored, and even 30% objection to some ineffective measure that infringes a constitutional guarantee is probably should not go forward.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
"Biden announces consensus has been reached" on AWB and high cap ban, or some such headline was on AP today. I do not think that word means what you think it means. Consensus says that all strong objections have been considered and found to be non-persuasive.

I think that half of the population probably shouldn't be ignored, and even 30% objection to some ineffective measure that infringes a constitutional guarantee is probably should not go forward.

And, I think that even a super-majority of 99.99% has no authority to erase the rights of even a single person.

It is long-recognized that the one of the reasons for the Bill of Rights is to protect the rights of a minority. In a democratic republic, the rights of a majority do not need protection.

I'm not a great fan Ayn Rand, but she called it right when she wrote that the smallest minority is an individual, a minority of one.

Jimeni

I am not what you would call a conspiracy theorist, or doomsday prepper. Recent events, and our current administration, though, have changed my views a little it seems. All of a sudden I have acquired more firearms, a small stockpile of ammunition, and apparently I started a bug out bag, and signed up for a CCW (CHL) class. Well at the least, I have a lot of cool new "toys" . Please don't go nuts about the "toys" you know what I mean. I also think that if more people knew the difference between automatic, and semi auto, it would help the situation a little. I am also not a fire arms expert, but listening to some of these people talk on the news for the anti side is truly frustrating to me. Thanks to all the informed people here sharing their knowledge, and research time, I have learned a lot. Not much input, I know, just my .02, and a little ranting.

motoxmann

I am not what you would call a conspiracy theorist, or doomsday prepper. Recent events, and our current administration, though, have changed my views a little it seems. All of a sudden I have acquired more firearms, a small stockpile of ammunition, and apparently I started a bug out bag, and signed up for a CCW (CHL) class. Well at the least, I have a lot of cool new "toys" . Please don't go nuts about the "toys" you know what I mean. I also think that if more people knew the difference between automatic, and semi auto, it would help the situation a little. I am also not a fire arms expert, but listening to some of these people talk on the news for the anti side is truly frustrating to me. Thanks to all the informed people here sharing their knowledge, and research time, I have learned a lot. Not much input, I know, just my .02, and a little ranting.

welcome :)
we're proud to have you