Thread: NRA "Eddie Eagle" program

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar

NRA "Eddie Eagle" program

I would like to do/see this program in my local schools. Does anyone have any knowledge about the details of this program or better yet, have any of you been involved with this program? It seems like a good teaching aid for kids but I really have no idea on how to get it to take off in my area.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Here's an argument I've used when pitching it. The argument is well-received, but hasn't been able to yet be made to the people that can make it happen.

What is the likelihood of a person catching on fire in his lifetime, compared with the likelihood of finding an unattended firearm? Most would agree that the latter is far more likely.

And every child in America knows "stop, drop, and roll."
    Why shouldn't they know "stop, don't touch, leave the area, tell a responsible adult?"

The Eddie Eagle program will save hundreds of lives, and no guns need to be brought into the classroom to teach it!
    Last edited by MAC702; 01-10-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

cub scouts and boy scouts was always very good about teaching children what to do if a gun is discovered. I was never once taught anything in school about guns though

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Here's an argument I've used when pitching it. The argument is well-received, but hasn't been able to yet be made to the people that can make it happen.

What is the likelihood of a person catching on fire in his lifetime, compared with the likelihood of finding an unattended firearm? Most would agree that the latter is far more likely.

And every child in America knows "stop, drop, and roll."
    Why shouldn't they know "stop, don't touch, leave the area, tell a responsible adult?"

The Eddie Eagle program will save hundreds of lives, and no guns need to be brought into the classroom to teach it!
    With me being a fireman and a gun guy this is perfect. Ive contacted a couple of LEO and they seem to be on board. Ill keep working at it.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

n.

Quote Originally Posted by motoxmann View Post
    cub scouts and boy scouts was always very good about teaching children what to do if a gun is discovered. I was never once taught anything in school about guns though
    I'd like to see all kid taught.

n.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    I'd like to see all kid taught.
    x2

I'd also love to see every boy and girl participate in girl scouts/cub scouts/boy scouts at some point in early life, as they do teach a lot of lifelong useful things, unlike a lot of public school systems.

maybe something could be encorporated where troop leaders could spend some occasional time in the schools to educate the students on important topics. not by law of course, but at the request and discretion of individual school boards. something like this could have quite a positive outcome on the children and on the communities for so many reasons
    Last edited by motoxmann; 01-11-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by motoxmann View Post
    x2

I'd also love to see every boy and girl participate in girl scouts/cub scouts/boy scouts at some point in early life, as they do teach a lot of lifelong useful things, unlike a lot of public school systems.

maybe something could be encorporated where troop leaders could spend some occasional time in the schools to educate the students on important topics. not by law of course, but at the request and discretion of individual school boards. something like this could have quite a positive outcome on the children and on the communities for so many reasons
    Education is key.

n.