• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA "Eddie Eagle" program

self preservation

I would like to do/see this program in my local schools. Does anyone have any knowledge about the details of this program or better yet, have any of you been involved with this program? It seems like a good teaching aid for kids but I really have no idea on how to get it to take off in my area.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Here's an argument I've used when pitching it. The argument is well-received, but hasn't been able to yet be made to the people that can make it happen.

What is the likelihood of a person catching on fire in his lifetime, compared with the likelihood of finding an unattended firearm? Most would agree that the latter is far more likely.

And every child in America knows "stop, drop, and roll."
Why shouldn't they know "stop, don't touch, leave the area, tell a responsible adult?"

The Eddie Eagle program will save hundreds of lives, and no guns need to be brought into the classroom to teach it!

Last edited:

motoxmann

cub scouts and boy scouts was always very good about teaching children what to do if a gun is discovered. I was never once taught anything in school about guns though

self preservation

Here's an argument I've used when pitching it. The argument is well-received, but hasn't been able to yet be made to the people that can make it happen.

What is the likelihood of a person catching on fire in his lifetime, compared with the likelihood of finding an unattended firearm? Most would agree that the latter is far more likely.

And every child in America knows "stop, drop, and roll."
Why shouldn't they know "stop, don't touch, leave the area, tell a responsible adult?"

The Eddie Eagle program will save hundreds of lives, and no guns need to be brought into the classroom to teach it!

With me being a fireman and a gun guy this is perfect. Ive contacted a couple of LEO and they seem to be on board. Ill keep working at it.

motoxmann

I'd like to see all kid taught.

x2

I'd also love to see every boy and girl participate in girl scouts/cub scouts/boy scouts at some point in early life, as they do teach a lot of lifelong useful things, unlike a lot of public school systems.

maybe something could be encorporated where troop leaders could spend some occasional time in the schools to educate the students on important topics. not by law of course, but at the request and discretion of individual school boards. something like this could have quite a positive outcome on the children and on the communities for so many reasons

Last edited:

self preservation

x2

I'd also love to see every boy and girl participate in girl scouts/cub scouts/boy scouts at some point in early life, as they do teach a lot of lifelong useful things, unlike a lot of public school systems.

maybe something could be encorporated where troop leaders could spend some occasional time in the schools to educate the students on important topics. not by law of course, but at the request and discretion of individual school boards. something like this could have quite a positive outcome on the children and on the communities for so many reasons

Education is key.