Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March Against Oppression -- Sunday January 27th, Coolidge Road

March Against Oppression -- Sunday January 27th, Coolidge Road

**event cancelled due to lack of support but other options are being discussed. Check the latest posts.**
    Last edited by Evil Creamsicle; 01-24-2013 at 03:31 PM.

In!

If I'm off that weekend, I'm in!
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Re: March Against Oppression -- Sunday January 27th, Coolidge Road

Depending on start time, I may be able to attend.

1 or 2 o'clock is the earliest I could possibly swing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    —John F. Kennedy

"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example."
    —Oliver Wendell Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Mosnar87 View Post
    Depending on start time, I may be able to attend.

1 or 2 o'clock is the earliest I could possibly swing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Assuming it lasts a while, you can always link up with us if we start earlier than that.

What we have here is an opportunity to create maximum visibility from passersby on a busy road for the concept of freedom. We are at a key time, where the press continues to relentlessly slam us, trying to make it look as though we're a fringe minority which is dispized by most real gun owners, who are mostly concerned with hunting. Further, we have the very real possibility of getting some serious press coverage if we play our cards right.

Marching worked for the civil rights movement decades ago, and it still works today. There are a gaggle of other pro freedom organizations I would like to reach out to and invite, but I can't hardly do it if we can't even get 10 people to commit to showing for at least a portion of the event with nearly 200 views so far. (those with limited time that date can PM me for my phone number if this event does happen so as to find out where we are in real time)

We NEED to prove that gun owners are respectable people who aren't dangerous, and a march is the most direct, most visible way to make it happen. We are the right people available at the right time to make a difference, that is if we can get anyone to go.

PLEASE get involved if you can, and invite anyone you know who likes guns to come too. 150 people or more would be quite ideal.
    Last edited by Michigander; 01-11-2013 at 07:07 PM.

I am in!

I could try to make it, but it's a long drive. I'll consider it.
    Last edited by FerretMI; 01-12-2013 at 12:16 AM.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by FerretMI View Post
    I could try to make it, but it's a long drive. I'll consider it.
    Well if any of the lansing area folks decide to make it; you could always try to link up with one of them. It is quite a haul from GR.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

FerretMi, while we would of course love it if you could make it, another solution would be to start your own locally, perhaps on the same date. I don't want to divide and conquer too much because I want to have as big of an event as possible, but I also don't want to encourage people to drive 150+ miles.

And by the way, on the subject of Lansing, we considered doing this there, but decided that it'd be better to have it be closer to home for people, rather than maybe hearing a small piece on the news in SE Michigan about lansing, it'd be better to make it up close and personal rather than just another political event at the state's capitol. Lansing can come next.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    FerretMi, while we would of course love it if you could make it, another solution would be to start your own locally, perhaps on the same date. I don't want to divide and conquer too much because I want to have as big of an event as possible, but I also don't want to encourage people to drive 150+ miles.

And by the way, on the subject of Lansing, we considered doing this there, but decided that it'd be better to have it be closer to home for people, rather than maybe hearing a small piece on the news in SE Michigan about lansing, it'd be better to make it up close and personal rather than just another political event at the state's capitol. Lansing can come next.
    There is also quite a bit of talk about a march at all capitols in the 19th. Just Google " january 19, 2013 march on state capitals" and you will see tons of stuff about it across tons of different forum boards and whatnot. While I believe that that is a great idea, it definitely won't hurt to get people on the streets too so those that watch networks less likely to run a story about a pro-gun march, such as CNN, will still receive the message and hopefully be encouraged to ask questions and/or take action.
    Last edited by dkutchukk; 01-12-2013 at 11:00 PM.

I am new to Marches and Protests but I will def be there if I'm off work. This will be my first Stand!!
    "If you won't stand up for your rights, stand up for mine."

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military." ~ William S. Burroughs

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    i'm in, i too would appreciate a time closer to 2pm
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

The time is adjustable in that you may show up whenever you want, meeting up as it goes.

Evil and I are making arrangements to if nothing else get picked up at the ending point and drive back to the starting point to get our cars and drive back to get, at which time we'll have the ability to drive at least 9 people back. He will be updating the opening post on these and other details later. Another note that he will be updating on is that those who will be going should consider making signs that they can carry which will be easily seen and understood.

I do hope we can get more than a handfull of people to show. Please everyone remember that you don't have to do the entire walk, and also that it'd be especially nice if we could make this a family oriented event. Invite friends too, anyone you can that enjoys hunting. Even if you can't/don't want to go, please pass the info on to others you know who might.

I have had my share of differences and debates with people here, and at times have perhaps been more hard headed than I should have been. I do however hope that in these trying times we can all put our differences aside and try and be unified in challending this media/leftist attack on our freedoms. So please, everyone that can, come on out, bundle yourself up if it's cold, and do some walking with us. We need visibility and we need numbers.
    Last edited by Michigander; 01-14-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Over 400 views, less than ten people replied.

This is important people, unless you would rather concede a loss to the anti media and just let them keep scaring the sheep into more legislation.

At the very least, can we get a reply as to why you are not going, so we can either A: Gauge support and B: See if there is a way to adjust our plan to change your mind?

This idea was supposed to be a way to garner numbers for a publicized event that we are not capable generally of generating on our own, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't show up in force.

Should we start at the grocery store so you can all steal electric scooters? [Its a joke, calm down.]

Re: March Against Oppression -- Sunday January 27th, Coolidge Road

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post

This is important people, unless you would rather concede a loss to the anti media and just let them keep scaring the sheep into more legislation.

At the very least, can we get a reply as to why you are not going, so we can either A: Gauge support and B: See if there is a way to adjust our plan to change your mind?

This idea was supposed to be a way to garner numbers for a publicized event that we are not capable generally of generating on our own, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't show up in force.

Should we start at the grocery store so you can all steal electric scooters? [Its a joke, calm down.]
    Apathy - is our greatest enemy my friend. It's not just in MI either. Hell its going to be hard to get 50 people to show up for the Jan 19 march in Flagstaff. If this is all we can do, (shout from behind keyboards) the future for us is dim indeed...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

March Against Oppression -- Sunday January 27th, Coolidge Road

I'm interested... I would like a more specific start location and time. Or did I miss it back there?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeus314 View Post
    I'm interested... I would like a more specific start location and time. Or did I miss it back there?
    No you didn't, I forgot to plop that stuff in there, sorry. OP has been updated.

Quote Originally Posted by ME!!!!
    Starting location - Coolidge Road, circa I-696
    Ending location - Coolidge and Woodward intersection
    Start Time - 11:30-12:00

This start time was chosen because there will be a lot of people out and about on their way home from church, etc...

We need to go further than that. Also, I would say that the start time should be earlier, because those who rank one church visit over our increasingly important battle for gun rights can join up later.

I would instead suggest starting no later than 10, and going all the way to Big Beaver. It's not THAT far.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post

you might be trying to schedule it while a lot of people will be in church
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    you might be trying to schedule it while a lot of people will be in church
    Well, see Michigander's post above.

I'd rather do this, as opposed to skip out on something this potentially important to go to church once, lose our gun rights, get persecuted for religion, and then lose the right to go to church ever again.

Perhaps I am exaggerating, but.... maybe not. Sunday is also the day most people are off work, and I assumed it would be easier to miss church than work for most people. If this is incorrect, please, enlighten me and another day can be chosen. Please do that soon though.

Some thoughts I will share here:

1. A March Against Oppression, Seeking to Protect Personal Freedoms, yet making Statements about Persons' Free Exercise of Religion is incongruous. I support the Right to make them but I suggest that such Statements are removed.

2. The March Time is important as it is desired to have maximum visibility of the General Public. Since many members of the General Public may be either in Church or Sleeping in on Sunday until Noon, a good time would be around Noon on a Sunday to start the March as Church lets out and people are out shopping and grabbing lunch.

3. The March Route takes everyone right past Berkley High School, within 1000' of the school (Coolidge and Catalpa). For those who March with a Long Gun and do not possess a MI CPL or a MI Pistol Purchase Permit, the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act comes into play and any such persons could be subject to penalties under same. I suggest another route be considered, one that does not come within 1000' of a school (Woodward Ave from 696 to Coolidge for example).
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Will people be carrying long guns?

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    Some thoughts I will share here:

1. A March Against Oppression, Seeking to Protect Personal Freedoms, yet making Statements about Persons' Free Exercise of Religion is incongruous. I support the Right to make them but I suggest that such Statements are removed.

2. The March Time is important as it is desired to have maximum visibility of the General Public. Since many members of the General Public may be either in Church or Sleeping in on Sunday until Noon, a good time would be around Noon on a Sunday to start the March as Church lets out and people are out shopping and grabbing lunch.

3. The March Route takes everyone right past Berkley High School, within 1000' of the school (Coolidge and Catalpa). For those who March with a Long Gun and do not possess a MI CPL or a MI Pistol Purchase Permit, the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act comes into play and any such persons could be subject to penalties under same. I suggest another route be considered, one that does not come within 1000' of a school (Woodward Ave from 696 to Coolidge for example).
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Woodward to Coolidge goes right past that one school, I think it's a Catholic school, by 12 mile. The GFSZA is going to come into play no matter what.

If someone opts to carry, they will be accountable for their actions, and that is all there is to it. EC and I discussed this last night, and came to the conclusion that we aren't going to tell people what to do and what not to do as it applies to on and off topic carry. It is a free country and we are after all trying to keep it that way So my only request is that people keep it legal so as not to make us look incredibly stupid as well as so as not to get railroaded by the cops.

The only other request is that people please make good signs with proper spelling so that we don't have one of these on the cover of a news paper. http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...jpg?1258144241 Good signs are our key to visibility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast