• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

March Against Oppression -- Sunday January 27th, Coolidge Road

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Over 400 views, less than ten people replied.

This is important people, unless you would rather concede a loss to the anti media and just let them keep scaring the sheep into more legislation.

At the very least, can we get a reply as to why you are not going, so we can either A: Gauge support and B: See if there is a way to adjust our plan to change your mind?

This idea was supposed to be a way to garner numbers for a publicized event that we are not capable generally of generating on our own, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't show up in force.

Should we start at the grocery store so you can all steal electric scooters? [Its a joke, calm down.]

you might be trying to schedule it while a lot of people will be in church

Evil Creamsicle

you might be trying to schedule it while a lot of people will be in church

Well, see Michigander's post above.

I'd rather do this, as opposed to skip out on something this potentially important to go to church once, lose our gun rights, get persecuted for religion, and then lose the right to go to church ever again.

Perhaps I am exaggerating, but.... maybe not. Sunday is also the day most people are off work, and I assumed it would be easier to miss church than work for most people. If this is incorrect, please, enlighten me and another day can be chosen. Please do that soon though.

PDinDetroit

Some thoughts I will share here:

1. A March Against Oppression, Seeking to Protect Personal Freedoms, yet making Statements about Persons' Free Exercise of Religion is incongruous. I support the Right to make them but I suggest that such Statements are removed.

2. The March Time is important as it is desired to have maximum visibility of the General Public. Since many members of the General Public may be either in Church or Sleeping in on Sunday until Noon, a good time would be around Noon on a Sunday to start the March as Church lets out and people are out shopping and grabbing lunch.

3. The March Route takes everyone right past Berkley High School, within 1000' of the school (Coolidge and Catalpa). For those who March with a Long Gun and do not possess a MI CPL or a MI Pistol Purchase Permit, the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act comes into play and any such persons could be subject to penalties under same. I suggest another route be considered, one that does not come within 1000' of a school (Woodward Ave from 696 to Coolidge for example).

Raggs

Will people be carrying long guns?

Some thoughts I will share here:

1. A March Against Oppression, Seeking to Protect Personal Freedoms, yet making Statements about Persons' Free Exercise of Religion is incongruous. I support the Right to make them but I suggest that such Statements are removed.

2. The March Time is important as it is desired to have maximum visibility of the General Public. Since many members of the General Public may be either in Church or Sleeping in on Sunday until Noon, a good time would be around Noon on a Sunday to start the March as Church lets out and people are out shopping and grabbing lunch.

3. The March Route takes everyone right past Berkley High School, within 1000' of the school (Coolidge and Catalpa). For those who March with a Long Gun and do not possess a MI CPL or a MI Pistol Purchase Permit, the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act comes into play and any such persons could be subject to penalties under same. I suggest another route be considered, one that does not come within 1000' of a school (Woodward Ave from 696 to Coolidge for example).

Michigander

Woodward to Coolidge goes right past that one school, I think it's a Catholic school, by 12 mile. The GFSZA is going to come into play no matter what.

If someone opts to carry, they will be accountable for their actions, and that is all there is to it. EC and I discussed this last night, and came to the conclusion that we aren't going to tell people what to do and what not to do as it applies to on and off topic carry. It is a free country and we are after all trying to keep it that way So my only request is that people keep it legal so as not to make us look incredibly stupid as well as so as not to get railroaded by the cops.

The only other request is that people please make good signs with proper spelling so that we don't have one of these on the cover of a news paper. http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/026/479/morans.jpg?1258144241 Good signs are our key to visibility.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator

PDinDetroit

Woodward to Coolidge goes right past that one school, I think it's a Catholic school, by 12 mile. The GFSZA is going to come into play no matter what.

If someone opts to carry, they will be accountable for their actions, and that is all there is to it. EC and I discussed this last night, and came to the conclusion that we aren't going to tell people what to do and what not to do as it applies to on and off topic carry. It is a free country and we are after all trying to keep it that way So my only request is that people keep it legal so as not to make us look incredibly stupid as well as so as not to get railroaded by the cops.

The only other request is that people please make good signs with proper spelling so that we don't have one of these on the cover of a news paper. http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/026/479/morans.jpg?1258144241 Good signs are our key to visibility.

Yes, you are correct, forgot about that one. I also thought about Main in Royal Oak from 696 to 11 Mile as that would high visibility, but there is a Lutheran School at 6th and Main I believe (St Mary's School near Lincoln may not be operating anymore).

I agree that persons need to be responsible for their own actions, but I also believe that people should be informed as to possible route issues.

Michigander

If we go any distance, we're going to encounter schools. People who can't legally carry in those areas who wish to attend need to plan on carrying good signs instead, or perhaps safely and responsibly in some way temporarily having someone else carry said firearm. Certainly security will not be an issue at this event, so I don't suggest it be worried about too much if a number of participants can't legally carry. The focus needs to be on gun rights in general, rather than OC specifically, and I'd honestly think some well made signs could do that very well, better in fact than a holstered sidearm.

Last edited:

Michigander

Evil and I have decided that with not even 10 confirmed attendees, we will likely cancel this event if it can't be confirmed that at least 15 people will be going, because having just a few people is close to meaningless in terms of showing that we're anything more than a few nutjobs who like guns. It is disappointing, to say the least, that at this desperate hour for gun rights, less than 10 people in this region are even willing and available to walk a few miles to garner attention for the cause.

Unless I am way off base, and a bunch more people confirm they are going, evil creamsicle will be changing the opening post to a notice of cancellation tomorrow. If it does get cancelled, we may or may not end up having a different meet up at a starbucks or coney or something if anyone would be interested in that.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Take heart Michgander. Nearly 600 showed up in Lansing I am told. Also here in AZ nearly 1,000 showed up last weekend. Lots of folks do not like walking (some for medical etc..reasons). Add this to the cold temps & I think you can see why many are reluctant to attend. Maybe consider trying this in the spring and have a place where those that can't or won't walk can gather and the rest of your group walks to them. Just some ideas. As always I wish you and E.C. the very best. :D

Evil Creamsicle

Take heart Michgander. Nearly 600 showed up in Lansing I am told. Also here in AZ nearly 1,000 showed up last weekend. Lots of folks do not like walking (some for medical etc..reasons). Add this to the cold temps & I think you can see why many are reluctant to attend. Maybe consider trying this in the spring and have a place where those that can't or won't walk can gather and the rest of your group walks to them. Just some ideas. As always I wish you and E.C. the very best. :D

While I understand this, the idea was to do this before the legislation is proposed, passed, or forced down our throats via XO, so the spring isn't exactly 'time sensitive'...
Also, I am glad so many showed up in Lansing... though I feel like having an even locally [somewhere other than the capital, where this stuff is expected] might have created more media attention... I haven't really seen any for Lansing, although I'm sure it must exist. Admittedly I haven't watched much tv either.

Though, these points aren't much use without support, and with no more posts since Michigander's, I'm cancelling this event. Thanks to those who were willing to attend. We may try again in the near future.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
While I understand this, the idea was to do this before the legislation is proposed, passed, or forced down our throats via XO, so the spring isn't exactly 'time sensitive'...
Also, I am glad so many showed up in Lansing... though I feel like having an even locally [somewhere other than the capital, where this stuff is expected] might have created more media attention... I haven't really seen any for Lansing, although I'm sure it must exist. Admittedly I haven't watched much tv either.

Though, these points aren't much use without support, and with no more posts since Michigander's, I'm cancelling this event. Thanks to those who were willing to attend. We may try again in the near future.
Well, a large rally is now scheduled for Lansing on March 20th. We hope to have all major gun rights groups working on this. A march for those that want to walk could start a mile or so down Michigan Ave, which can end right at the steps of the Capitol.

DanM

Well, a large rally is now scheduled for Lansing on March 20th. We hope to have all major gun rights groups working on this. A march for those that want to walk could start a mile or so down Michigan Ave, which can end right at the steps of the Capitol.

I'm in! I'm willing to man a booth, help you with logistics, whatever. Let me know, Brian.

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I'm in! I'm willing to man a booth, help you with logistics, whatever. Let me know, Brian.

Will do. We are having a conference call between the organizers and will have more data later. We most likely will have a large tent with tables for all the gun orgs. So we will need some people to man/woman booths. I will mention the March at the meeting and we could have that as a lead up to the Capitol. We could have people join it along the way if they don't want to walk the entire way.

It's hoped we can get some national speakers, entertainment, and state politicians. It's still in the planning so well shall see.