Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Gun registration

  1. #1
    Regular Member Sorcice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    382

    Gun registration

    In the the video linked below they assert that there is no gun registration. If this is so, then back in CA years ago how did my beretta come up with my name attached to it at a traffic stop. Is it only at the state level maybe?
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=9ic7TE9IsOQ

  2. #2
    Regular Member renoglock22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcice View Post
    In the the video linked below they assert that there is no gun registration. If this is so, then back in CA years ago how did my beretta come up with my name attached to it at a traffic stop. Is it only at the state level maybe?
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=9ic7TE9IsOQ

    At 2:25 he states that there is no registration at the federal level and that some states may require some kind of registration.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Sorcice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    382

    Gun registration

    Ah yes. Didn't catch that thanks.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    If you purchase more than one handgun in a five-day period, the FFL files a multi-gun form with the feds that names you and all of the guns, including serial numbers. I don't know what they do with this information, but they have it.

    Lesson: Never buy more than one handgun in a five-day period--unless you want the feds to have a register of your guns.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,963

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    If you purchase more than one handgun in a five-day period, the FFL files a multi-gun form with the feds that names you and all of the guns, including serial numbers. I don't know what they do with this information, but they have it.

    Lesson: Never buy more than one handgun in a five-day period--unless you want the feds to have a register of your guns.
    The multiple handgun reporting requirement only kicks in if you buy more than one handgun from the same FFL. Never buy more than one handgun in 5 business days from the same FFL.

    Bullets First,

    Thundar
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  6. #6
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Form 4473 is a registration mechanism. Always has been. All the BATF&E (Goons) have to do is require retail FFLs to transfer their 4473s. With the advent of e4473 the S/W could be written to make the e4473 application run on a Goon server and the information is instantly held by the Goons. This will alleviate the "burden" of a FFL maintaining these records for 20 years.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Gun registration

    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Form 4473 is a registration mechanism. Always has been. All the BATF&E (Goons) have to do is require retail FFLs to transfer their 4473s. With the advent of e4473 the S/W could be written to make the e4473 application run on a Goon server and the information is instantly held by the Goons. This will alleviate the "burden" of a FFL maintaining these records for 20 years.
    It is not supposed to be. If the feds never get their hands on a 4473, it can't be. The only way the government actually is supposed to get a 4473 is if a FFL goes out of business with 4473s less than twenty years old still on hand. Then the feds are only supposed to carry out the twenty-year storage requirement.

    Curiously, ATF "recommends" that FFLs don't dispose of 20+year-old forms, but send them to the ATF to continue storage. However, the law allows FFLs to destroy them. The ATF is "recommending" that FFLs skirt the part of the law that was ostensibly designed to keep 4473s from becoming a de facto registration system.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloCongDuoi View Post
    Thank you so much. That is helpful. Everybody should watch it now
    'Tis BS - there is nothing to watch, also nothing of substance here.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •