• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun registration

renoglock22

In the the video linked below they assert that there is no gun registration. If this is so, then back in CA years ago how did my beretta come up with my name attached to it at a traffic stop. Is it only at the state level maybe?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=9ic7TE9IsOQ

At 2:25 he states that there is no registration at the federal level and that some states may require some kind of registration.

eye95

If you purchase more than one handgun in a five-day period, the FFL files a multi-gun form with the feds that names you and all of the guns, including serial numbers. I don't know what they do with this information, but they have it.

Lesson: Never buy more than one handgun in a five-day period--unless you want the feds to have a register of your guns.

Thundar

If you purchase more than one handgun in a five-day period, the FFL files a multi-gun form with the feds that names you and all of the guns, including serial numbers. I don't know what they do with this information, but they have it.

Lesson: Never buy more than one handgun in a five-day period--unless you want the feds to have a register of your guns.

The multiple handgun reporting requirement only kicks in if you buy more than one handgun from the same FFL. Never buy more than one handgun in 5 business days from the same FFL.

Bullets First,

Thundar

OC for ME

Form 4473 is a registration mechanism. Always has been. All the BATF&E (Goons) have to do is require retail FFLs to transfer their 4473s. With the advent of e4473 the S/W could be written to make the e4473 application run on a Goon server and the information is instantly held by the Goons. This will alleviate the "burden" of a FFL maintaining these records for 20 years.

eye95

Form 4473 is a registration mechanism. Always has been. All the BATF&E (Goons) have to do is require retail FFLs to transfer their 4473s. With the advent of e4473 the S/W could be written to make the e4473 application run on a Goon server and the information is instantly held by the Goons. This will alleviate the "burden" of a FFL maintaining these records for 20 years.

It is not supposed to be. If the feds never get their hands on a 4473, it can't be. The only way the government actually is supposed to get a 4473 is if a FFL goes out of business with 4473s less than twenty years old still on hand. Then the feds are only supposed to carry out the twenty-year storage requirement.

Curiously, ATF "recommends" that FFLs don't dispose of 20+year-old forms, but send them to the ATF to continue storage. However, the law allows FFLs to destroy them. The ATF is "recommending" that FFLs skirt the part of the law that was ostensibly designed to keep 4473s from becoming a de facto registration system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>