• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesterfield Public Hearing on bowhunting to have "Security" ???

Repeater

I was reading through this article in the Chesterfield Observer when I saw this (highlighted below):

Commission moves slowly on bowhunting
Bowhunting has been a contentious topic in Chesterfield since 2009, when a Salisbury resident hired a bowhunter to shoot deer on his property from a tree stand.

Subsequently, several Salisbury residents took their concerns about bowhunting in a residential area to the county’s Board of Supervisors ...

Before PRAC makes its recommendation on the bowhunting program to county supervisors, it will hold a public hearing to give county residents an opportunity to weigh in on the hotly contested subject.

PRAC chairman Ron Maxey suggested that PRAC’s regular meeting space in the county’s Community Development Building won’t be big enough to hold all of the people who will want a chance to speak. He also wondered if security might be necessary to maintain order at the public hearing.

“People are very passionate on both sides of this issue and I don’t think there’s a lot of middle ground,” Maxey said. “Regardless of how it comes out, it’s not going to be happy for everybody.”

I sense some "trust" issues -- this implies citizens who show up OC'ing will be viewed with suspicion.

Or perhaps everyone will be viewed as suspect.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was reading through this article in the Chesterfield Observer when I saw this (highlighted below):

Commission moves slowly on bowhunting

I sense some "trust" issues -- this implies citizens who show up OC'ing will be viewed with suspicion.

Or perhaps everyone will be view as suspect.

I may go there and OC. I'm still hot about the security at the Courthouse and it would be nice to tell them where to stick it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Linky no worky.

Try this instead http://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/news/2013-01-09/News/Commission_moves_slowly_on_bowhunting.html

Maxey suggested that PRAC’s regular meeting space in the county’s Community Development Building won’t be big enough to hold all of the people who will want a chance to speak. He also wondered if security might be necessary to maintain order at the public hearing.
“People are very passionate on both sides of this issue and I don’t think there’s a lot of middle ground,” Maxey said. “Regardless of how it comes out, it’s not going to be happy for everybody.”

While I do not think there was any thought given to someone showing up OCing, I am sure that those opposed to hunting (with a bow or otherwise) and those who seem to fear anything sharp and/or pointy, will view OCing as a "provocative" behavior. Except for the OCing being done by the police, if they are present.:banghead:

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Linky no worky.

Try this instead http://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/news/2013-01-09/News/Commission_moves_slowly_on_bowhunting.html

While I do not think there was any thought given to someone showing up OCing, I am sure that those opposed to hunting (with a bow or otherwise) and those who seem to fear anything sharp and/or pointy, will view OCing as a "provocative" behavior. Except for the OCing being done by the police, if they are present.:banghead:

stay safe.

I don't know why they're worried anyway.
What are the anti hunters going to do, attack the hunters with their purses:banana::lol::monkey:lol:

I wonder if that strip searching Chesterfield Deputy will be there?

Last edited:

Repeater

I don't know why they're worried anyway.
What are the anti hunters going to do, attack the hunters with their purses:banana::lol::monkey:lol:

I wonder if that strip searching Chesterfield Deputy will be there?

What got me was the article saying this:
Bowhunting has been a contentious topic in Chesterfield since 2009, when a Salisbury resident hired a bowhunter to shoot deer on his property from a tree stand.

Subsequently, several Salisbury residents took their concerns about bowhunting in a residential area to the county’s Board of Supervisors; ...

Are parts of the County becoming more "Progressive" or busybody-minded? Why be "concerned" about a neighbor who evidently had had enough of the deer over-population and deciding to do something about it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What got me was the article saying this:

Are parts of the County becoming more "Progressive" or busybody-minded? Why be "concerned" about a neighbor who evidently had had enough of the deer over-population and deciding to do something about it.

It's not just that the neihbors would have been able to see the deer shot with an arrow, but that the CHILLLLLLLDRRRRRENNNNNN might have been able to see it as well.

These folks have enough problems trying to explain Bambi snd Ol' Yeller such that witnessing an actual death would permanently traumatize them. IIRC that is the neighborhood where someone put a towel over a squirrel that did not make it across the street and then raised heck over the fact that the County did not immediately send an animal hearse but instead waited a few days to scoop it up with a shovel and toss it in a bag full of litter picked up from along the side of the road.

stay safe.

2a4all

It's not just that the neihbors would have been able to see the deer shot with an arrow, but that the CHILLLLLLLDRRRRRENNNNNN might have been able to see it as well.

These folks have enough problems trying to explain Bambi snd Ol' Yeller such that witnessing an actual death would permanently traumatize them. IIRC that is the neighborhood where someone put a towel over a squirrel that did not make it across the street and then raised heck over the fact that the County did not immediately send an animal hearse but instead waited a few days to scoop it up with a shovel and toss it in a bag full of litter picked up from along the side of the road.

stay safe.
If they lived in my neighborhood, they'd occasionally get to see "nature take its course" when buzzards and/or hawks scavenge the carrion.:eek:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If they lived in my neighborhood, they'd occasionally get to see "nature take its course" when buzzards and/or hawks scavenge the carrion.:eek:

Racist! What do you have against crows, or possums, or skunks or .....

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
IIRC that is the neighborhood where someone put a towel over a squirrel that did not make it across the street and then raised heck over the fact that the County did not immediately send an animal hearse but instead waited a few days to scoop it up with a shovel and toss it in a bag full of litter picked up from along the side of the road.

stay safe.

What???? That's good eatens!

Deer being shot because they kill your plants? Sounds like the deer got what was comin' to 'em. Maybe the deer should have been carrying .... stupid deer.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What???? That's good eatens!

Deer being shot because they kill your plants? Sounds like the deer got what was comin' to 'em. Maybe the deer should have been carrying .... stupid deer.

Yep, the flat ones make great Taco's!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Linky no worky.

stay safe.

Will the bows be CCd?

Might not be so bad if there were a buffer zone of 300 yards from the edge of the property.

Where is Joe when you need him - he understands these things.

Repeater

These folks have enough problems trying to explain Bambi and Ol' Yeller such that witnessing an actual death would permanently traumatize them.

stay safe.

Bambi?? Ol' Yeller??? Screw those. Show the young ones ........

Bambi vs. Gozilla (AKA Bambi meets Gozilla)

riverrat10k

stay safe.

May as well hunt them (safely) to thin the herd. Save the kids the trauma of watching the school bus hit them!

[h=1]Richmond school bus hits, kills deer; no one seriously injured[/h](except the deer, of course)

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/r...cle_6bccccbd-19c8-5951-826a-8b91710956aa.html

Last edited:

67GT390FB

Will the bows be CCd?

Might not be so bad if there were a buffer zone of 300 yards from the edge of the property.

Where is Joe when you need him - he understands these things.

don't get me started on salisbury. we used to lease 350 acres that adjoined salisbury and was spilt by 288 that also borders the watkins center, mike knows where it is. we had such trespassing and other trouble with these idiots over the years. everytime we went in there to hunt some good citizen would call chesterfield pd who would have to slog through the mud in their patent leather shoes to then march back out and tell the moron that we were legal, we had joggers that thought our property was their private park etc etc.

then the bow thing came and these worthless wastes of oxygen were worried we would mistake their golden retriever for bambi. they wanted the same 200yd from a dwelling restircition that chesterfield places on disharge of a firearm but it got lowered to 150ft w/o permission of the adjoining land owner.

i'm still irked at the whole 100yd from the border of a park restricition on POSSESSING A FIREARM while hunting.

Marco

Around here you can add pet and feral dogs running around with hind quarters, rib cages and the occasional head of deer and other critters
that didn't make it.