Thread: Question about Green Card and Gun Ownership in WA

Question about Green Card and Gun Ownership in WA

Hello all.

I've lurked this forum on and off for a while, but ive recently become very interested in gun ownership. I tried to search for this answer (im sure it has been asked before) but couldn't find anything.

I've been a Green Card holder (lawful permanent resident) in WA for over 5 years now, and i cannot track down for sure if i can own, carry and conceal a pistol. I have no history with the police, no arrests etc. My wife has her concealed weapons permit (and has for a long time). I have a valid WA drivers license.

I would like to know if its:

A) legal for me to own a firearm in the home
    B) legal for me to open carry in public
    C) am eligible to apply for a concealed permit.

I spoke to a local officer who said he wasn't 100% sure on the changes to the law, that i should read the RCW. They are pretty confusing (i had my neighbor look it over who is a paralegal, and she couldn't tell me for sure). I know not so long back it was illegal for Aliens to own without a hunting license (and they stopped giving alien hunting licenses out).

If anyone can help point me in the right direction i would be grateful. I have a few gun shows coming up locally and am quite disturbed with the recent "attacks" on the 2nd amendment.

Thank you.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Short answer re conditions you define - Yes you can.

Straight from the horse's mouth - alien legal requirements for a permit:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faalienreq.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil View Post
    Hello all.

I would like to know if its:

A) legal for me to own a firearm in the home
    B) legal for me to open carry in public
    C) am eligible to apply for a concealed permit.

Thank you.
    Yes, yes and yes.

Thanks to some active members of this forum, Washington changed its Alien Firearms laws. Permanent Residents no longer require an Alien Firearms License.

I'm a permanent resident. The week they changed the law, I applied for my CPL. Where the form asked if I was a citizen, I wrote Permanent Resident and my green card number.
    cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt

Citations for above

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faalienfaq.html

Who doesn’t need an alien firearms license?
    A permanent resident alien (immigrant alien) with a permanent resident card (green card).
    A citizen of Canada or a non-immigrant alien not residing in Washington, who is hunting or participating in trade shows or shooting events while visiting or vacationing here.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firea...oncealreq.html

How to get your license: Concealed pistol license Requirements
    You must meet all of the following requirements to get a concealed pistol license (RCW 9.41.070):
    Be 21 years of age or older at time of application.
    Be a United States citizen or a permanent resident alien with permanent resident card (green card).
    cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faalienfaq.html

"Who doesn’t need an alien firearms license?
    A permanent resident alien (immigrant alien) with a permanent resident card (green card).
    A citizen of Canada or a non-immigrant alien not residing in Washington, who is hunting or participating in trade shows or shooting events while visiting or vacationing here."

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firea...oncealfaq.html

It looks like you just need to apply for a CPL

Quote Originally Posted by NavyMike View Post
    Yes, yes and yes.

Thanks to some active members of this forum, Washington changed its Alien Firearms laws. Permanent Residents no longer require an Alien Firearms License.

I'm a permanent resident. The week they changed the law, I applied for my CPL. Where the form asked if I was a citizen, I wrote Permanent Resident and my green card number.
    I remember reading that some members here overturned something, i just couldn't narrow it down.

You all basically just confirmed what i thought. Thank you.

When it comes to firearms, you green card is as good as being a Citizen. I was naturalized back in 1970...some things were different back then.

File for your CPL, get a holster, wear a weapon. It will be as easy as that.

And welcome to OCDO
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Welcome Aboard
    - And another "yes" with confirmation... My wife is from Tokyo Japan and has her green-card + CPL + pistol. It was super easy, just apply and it comes in the mail.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum.

May I ask what part of the state you are in?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

May I ask what part of the state you are in?
    Port angeles area. Originally from the UK.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil View Post
    Port angeles area. Originally from the UK.
    There are some fine OC memebers and meet ups in your area, I recommend attending one. OC is not a requirement.

We have lots of Canadians and lately lots of South Africans in my area, being close to the border.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Question?

I am a non-immigrant and have obtained the firearms legally in California. I am planning to move to Washington state and have read that for a non-immigrant to own firearms in Washington state I need to have Alien firearm license first. Now I am not sure how I can get the alien firearms license without becoming a resident of Washington state . Does it mean before I get to Washington state, I have to sell my firearms in California?

Any help on this would be awesome.

-Thanks
    Rajan

Quote Originally Posted by Raj View Post
    I am a non-immigrant and have obtained the firearms legally in California. I am planning to move to Washington state and have read that for a non-immigrant to own firearms in Washington state I need to have Alien firearm license first. Now I am not sure how I can get the alien firearms license without becoming a resident of Washington state . Does it mean before I get to Washington state, I have to sell my firearms in California?

Any help on this would be awesome.

-Thanks
    Rajan
    Confusion??? If you are not an immigrant, than you are a US citizen? Or do you have a green card? Please clarify.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Confusion??? If you are not an immigrant, than you are a US citizen? Or do you have a green card? Please clarify.
    Is it possible this person is a foriegn national here on a nonimmigrant visa so he is not a US citizen nor is he a resident alien so he would not have a "green card"?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"