• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Green Card and Gun Ownership in WA

Evil

Hello all.

I've lurked this forum on and off for a while, but ive recently become very interested in gun ownership. I tried to search for this answer (im sure it has been asked before) but couldn't find anything.

I've been a Green Card holder (lawful permanent resident) in WA for over 5 years now, and i cannot track down for sure if i can own, carry and conceal a pistol. I have no history with the police, no arrests etc. My wife has her concealed weapons permit (and has for a long time). I have a valid WA drivers license.

I would like to know if its:

A) legal for me to own a firearm in the home
B) legal for me to open carry in public
C) am eligible to apply for a concealed permit.

I spoke to a local officer who said he wasn't 100% sure on the changes to the law, that i should read the RCW. They are pretty confusing (i had my neighbor look it over who is a paralegal, and she couldn't tell me for sure). I know not so long back it was illegal for Aliens to own without a hunting license (and they stopped giving alien hunting licenses out).

If anyone can help point me in the right direction i would be grateful. I have a few gun shows coming up locally and am quite disturbed with the recent "attacks" on the 2nd amendment.

Thank you.

NavyMike

Hello all.

I would like to know if its:

A) legal for me to own a firearm in the home
B) legal for me to open carry in public
C) am eligible to apply for a concealed permit.

Thank you.

Yes, yes and yes.

Thanks to some active members of this forum, Washington changed its Alien Firearms laws. Permanent Residents no longer require an Alien Firearms License.

I'm a permanent resident. The week they changed the law, I applied for my CPL. Where the form asked if I was a citizen, I wrote Permanent Resident and my green card number.

NavyMike

Citations for above

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faalienfaq.html

Who doesn’t need an alien firearms license?
A permanent resident alien (immigrant alien) with a permanent resident card (green card).
A citizen of Canada or a non-immigrant alien not residing in Washington, who is hunting or participating in trade shows or shooting events while visiting or vacationing here.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealreq.html

How to get your license: Concealed pistol license Requirements
You must meet all of the following requirements to get a concealed pistol license (RCW 9.41.070):
Be 21 years of age or older at time of application.
Be a United States citizen or a permanent resident alien with permanent resident card (green card).

Vitaeus

Evil

Yes, yes and yes.

Thanks to some active members of this forum, Washington changed its Alien Firearms laws. Permanent Residents no longer require an Alien Firearms License.

I'm a permanent resident. The week they changed the law, I applied for my CPL. Where the form asked if I was a citizen, I wrote Permanent Resident and my green card number.

I remember reading that some members here overturned something, i just couldn't narrow it down.

You all basically just confirmed what i thought. Thank you.

hermannr

When it comes to firearms, you green card is as good as being a Citizen. I was naturalized back in 1970...some things were different back then.

Batousaii

Welcome Aboard
- And another "yes" with confirmation... My wife is from Tokyo Japan and has her green-card + CPL + pistol. It was super easy, just apply and it comes in the mail.

Raj

Question?

I am a non-immigrant and have obtained the firearms legally in California. I am planning to move to Washington state and have read that for a non-immigrant to own firearms in Washington state I need to have Alien firearm license first. Now I am not sure how I can get the alien firearms license without becoming a resident of Washington state . Does it mean before I get to Washington state, I have to sell my firearms in California?

Any help on this would be awesome.

-Thanks
Rajan

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I am a non-immigrant and have obtained the firearms legally in California. I am planning to move to Washington state and have read that for a non-immigrant to own firearms in Washington state I need to have Alien firearm license first. Now I am not sure how I can get the alien firearms license without becoming a resident of Washington state . Does it mean before I get to Washington state, I have to sell my firearms in California?

Any help on this would be awesome.

-Thanks
Rajan

Confusion??? If you are not an immigrant, than you are a US citizen? Or do you have a green card? Please clarify.