• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Introduction: New Here!

Quick Draw

If this is the wrong place for this I apologize. I didn't see an area dedicated to newbies such as myself.

My name is Kyle. The "Quick Draw" nickname really has nothing to do with guns. It was a nickname that I picked up in grade school, and I have used it on a variety of forums. And I'm somewhat quick, but nothing compared to some of you, I'm sure.

I'm 21 years old and studying Mechanical Engineering. I haven't been around firearms for very long... In fact, only about 6 months. But like most hobbies I pick up, I fell into it very hard. This is definitely more of a lifestyle than a hobby for me now. I am absorbing everything I can, and working hard to train myself. I now have 2 rifles and 2 handguns and make a point to shoot once or twice per week. I drive my girl friend crazy, constantly practicing drawing my pistol, flipping the safety off and acquiring a target. And I also spend most of my time reading and watching videos to gain knowledge. This is a site that I found myself reading a lot, so I decided to join.

I am not paranoid nor am I afraid. I carry a gun because I understand that **** happens, and only the prepared will have a chance of surviving. I learned this lesson very well when I lost my house and nearly all of my possessions in a forest fire last summer. Bad things can happen to anybody. Some of my insurance money for the belongings I lost has gone to firearms and training. It was always something I wanted to do, but I never had the time or money. So no, I'm not an abnormally rich college student. Just one that traded all of my accumulated belongings for a truck, some firearms and a lot of ammunition. I also carry a gun because at 140 lbs, I have very little chance of fending off an attacker with my hands.

My CCW permit is on its way. I should see it in the mail in a couple of months. In the meantime, I had been getting used to wearing the pistol around the house in my IWB holster. Then it occurred to me, I could technically go out of the house legally now, as long as I tuck my shirt in so that the grip of my gun is clearly visible on my hip. According to my CCW instructor, that is legal open carry even though the barrel of the gun is stuffed inside my pants.

I first started carrying outside of my house while I did some repairs on my truck. Then I needed some parts at the auto parts store so I just decided to carry in there too. I made a big point of making my body language extremely non threatening, and I was very polite and courteous to the staff. I never once put my hand anywhere near the gun and I generally just pretended as though it wasn't there, and it wasn't a big deal. I don't think I came off as nervous because I really wasn't. When I first walked in I went over to the isle that I needed and started picking out items. As I was reading a package an employee came around the corner and stopped in her tracks, stared at my hip for a moment and then walked away. I gave no sign that I noticed this. Seeing as she was the only nearby employee I eventually had to ask her for help. She seemed very anxious but after being very polite to her I think I loosened her up. That was until it came time to pay. I felt her tension rise as I reached for my wallet. When it was all said and done I said "Thank you very much, have a nice day" and I walked out of the store without incident other than some gang banger looking guys that gave me the evil eye. So that was my first open carry experience. I'm not sure how you guys can handle that kind of stress all the time.

EMNofSeattle

Welcome to OCDO!

There's lots of knowledgable people here who can help you out if you ever need advice on something

although, before driving your girlfriend even more crazy, I'd try to get her to start OCing or at least CCing if she's legally able to.

You probably either were so nervous you thought the employee was acting wierd or your just in an area that OC is not common. I was OCing once in a very small town (Alberton) in Montana, and someone pegged me as an outsider right away because i was packing, he said "this is a very gun friendly area, people just don't carry cause this is such a peaceful little town" sometimes people may seem to pay more attention because they don't see it every day.

sudden valley gunner

If this is the wrong place for this I apologize. I didn't see an area dedicated to newbies such as myself.

My name is Kyle. The "Quick Draw" nickname really has nothing to do with guns. It was a nickname that I picked up in grade school, and I have used it on a variety of forums. And I'm somewhat quick, but nothing compared to some of you, I'm sure.

I'm 21 years old and studying Mechanical Engineering. I haven't been around firearms for very long... In fact, only about 6 months. But like most hobbies I pick up, I fell into it very hard. This is definitely more of a lifestyle than a hobby for me now. I am absorbing everything I can, and working hard to train myself. I now have 2 rifles and 2 handguns and make a point to shoot once or twice per week. I drive my girl friend crazy, constantly practicing drawing my pistol, flipping the safety off and acquiring a target. And I also spend most of my time reading and watching videos to gain knowledge. This is a site that I found myself reading a lot, so I decided to join.

I am not paranoid nor am I afraid. I carry a gun because I understand that **** happens, and only the prepared will have a chance of surviving. I learned this lesson very well when I lost my house and nearly all of my possessions in a forest fire last summer. Bad things can happen to anybody. Some of my insurance money for the belongings I lost has gone to firearms and training. It was always something I wanted to do, but I never had the time or money. So no, I'm not an abnormally rich college student. Just one that traded all of my accumulated belongings for a truck, some firearms and a lot of ammunition. I also carry a gun because at 140 lbs, I have very little chance of fending off an attacker with my hands.

My CCW permit is on its way. I should see it in the mail in a couple of months. In the meantime, I had been getting used to wearing the pistol around the house in my IWB holster. Then it occurred to me, I could technically go out of the house legally now, as long as I tuck my shirt in so that the grip of my gun is clearly visible on my hip. According to my CCW instructor, that is legal open carry even though the barrel of the gun is stuffed inside my pants.

I first started carrying outside of my house while I did some repairs on my truck. Then I needed some parts at the auto parts store so I just decided to carry in there too. I made a big point of making my body language extremely non threatening, and I was very polite and courteous to the staff. I never once put my hand anywhere near the gun and I generally just pretended as though it wasn't there, and it wasn't a big deal. I don't think I came off as nervous because I really wasn't. When I first walked in I went over to the isle that I needed and started picking out items. As I was reading a package an employee came around the corner and stopped in her tracks, stared at my hip for a moment and then walked away. I gave no sign that I noticed this. Seeing as she was the only nearby employee I eventually had to ask her for help. She seemed very anxious but after being very polite to her I think I loosened her up. That was until it came time to pay. I felt her tension rise as I reached for my wallet. When it was all said and done I said "Thank you very much, have a nice day" and I walked out of the store without incident other than some gang banger looking guys that gave me the evil eye. So that was my first open carry experience. I'm not sure how you guys can handle that kind of stress all the time.

Welcome to the forum.

Act normal, know you are in the right and soon it will be normal.

motoxmann

It took me a good 2 solid weeks to get comfortable OC'ing. Yes people will occasionally have reactions to it; some good some bad, some just plain shocked for a moment not knowing how to react until you speak and being polite obviously helps that. In my experience, I've actually discovered people and employees are always much more polite to me while OC'ing. Probably largely because they're afraid to piss me off lol, but I'm sure at least occasionally it's because they see it as proof that I'm a responsible person.
I've also encountered a lot of sketchy lookin dudes while OC'ing, and their reactions are always priceless. Sometimes they leave immediately once they spot it, possibly because I just thwarted a crime before it started. Sometimes they give me the stank eye, possibly because they're jealous I'm carrying and they can't because they legally can't due to a record.

All in all, I've never had an experience while OC'ing that I'm not fond of.
You may occasionally be asking by anti-gunners why you carry, and that can sometimes be fun. I have a huge list in my head of replies to that. Some serious/honest, some humorous, some snotty, and some to straight out counter the anti's assumptions like proving I'm smarter than them or more responsible than them.

One thing I have noticed consistently; after oc'ing while dressed formally into gas stations, the employees have quickly recognised me other times while underdressed and know I carry 24/7, and strongly welcome me in their stores. Especially the one where I was CC'ing at the time but the employee knew I carry, and a customer in front of me used a stolen creditcard and then started a huge argument with the employee. The employee just kept looking at me and smiling, with a look like "you have great timing, thank you for being here and carrying, I feel safe with this goon due to you". Nothing came of the situation while I was there as the guy left without further issue.

EMNofSeattle

SNIP Especially the one where I was CC'ing at the time but the employee knew I carry, and a customer in front of me used a stolen creditcard and then started a huge argument with the employee. The employee just kept looking at me and smiling, with a look like "you have great timing, thank you for being here and carrying, I feel safe with this goon due to you". Nothing came of the situation while I was there as the guy left without further issue.

I would be careful with stuff like that, I would hate to walk into an armed robbery in progress and have the clerk yell "thank god, shoot him or something"

motoxmann

I would be careful with stuff like that, I would hate to walk into an armed robbery in progress and have the clerk yell "thank god, shoot him or something"

oh I know. I never revealed my weapon, nor did I put my hand on it or anything, but I was prepared to do so if it escalated to a point of necessity. the employee also never said a word about it, and did nothing to antagonise the crooked customer or anything of the like. he showed zero signs of requesting I use my gun, but appeared to feel safe and confident that I would properly and legally use it if absolutely necessary, key words IF ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

I'll also add that the employee followed the law to a T in regards to what he could/should do or not do in such a situation, with or without me present, and remained calm the entire time

Last edited:

Quick Draw

Thank you for the welcomes. My town's friendliness to firearms really depends on the part of town. Up North it's more of a farming/ranching community and it's no issue there. The middle of the town has the University, which means a lot of moron liberal college students. The South end is suburban area and I feel they wouldn't take kindly to it.

Also here's what I'm carrying:
b675ae960957756de239da2afb1cc58f.jpg

I just picked up the CZ 75 last night and will be shooting it for the first time today. The Bersa Thunder is my CCW gun.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO quickD. There is a state specific area for you that will put you in touch with folks in your local AO. But, Hey, anywhere is a great place to say Hello. Enjoy your stay, Carry and Carry often.

Gil223

Welcome to OCDO, QD. What you have found here is an amalgam of gun enthusiasts from various walks of life, each with different experiences, a virtual cornucopia of information about firearms in general, and open carry specifically. Some of us also possess concealed carry licenses/permits/cards, and many of us are also fond of our long guns. I think you're gonna enjoy that CZ75. :D Pax...

Last edited:

Quick Draw

So far I have found that I am much better received open carrying like this:
09026032264dd7df9843b6683bfb4ab0.jpg

And not so much like this:
7470a1876b465d4f2cd76c060f6f81f5.jpg

Is the big gun really that much scarier than the little one? :confused: Also, notice that I am dressed fairly nice. I am a young white male with a gun. The media has told us to fear them, right?

motoxmann

size does matter, no matter what women tell you ;)
that, and no matter what the size is, simply the amount of it that's visible also matters. it's only half as scary if only half of it is showing.

personally, I don't care what people think; I'm fairly thin so OWB (outside waistband) is always more confortable for me than IWB (inside waistband)

also to note, the police are well aware that criminals do not use holsters, and LAC's (law abiding citizens). using an OWB holster tends to draw less police suspicion/attention. IWB can sometimes draw their eye

Last edited:

Malcolm

Welcome Quickdraw!

Welcome to OCDO. Congratulations on making armed self-defense apart of your life. It takes a lot of fortitude to make that decision. I haven't shot the CZ-75, but I've heard nothing but good things. If you think your excited now, wait till you get 1911 fever. That's when the real fun starts. Anyway, stay true, stay safe.

-Malcolm