• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Delegate Morrissey, a dangerous person

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
D camera

morrissey7.jpg

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
He needs to be charged.

We CAN NOT LET THIS ONE PASS.

He can't be charged:

Section 9. Immunity of legislators.
Members of the General Assembly shall, in all cases except treason, felony, or breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during the sessions of their respective houses; and for any speech or debate in either house shall not be questioned in any other place. They shall not be subject to arrest under any civil process during the sessions of the General Assembly, or during the fifteen days before the beginning or after the ending of any session.

Article IV, Sec 9, VA Constitution. (bold emphasis added by Citizen)

http://constitution.legis.virginia.gov/

Doncha y'all read the daggone constitutions?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Damn!:banghead:

Oh well...the good delegate trying to leave

morrissey9.jpg

Somebody looks like the cat that swallowed the canary :lol:

morrissey11.jpg

va_tazdad

Looks like he had a 30 rd magazine.

50f85337b0ac4.preview-300.jpg

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Will he "lose" this big bad assault rifle like the 2 he lost while he was Commonwealths Attorney?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
You might still get some traction with a strongly-worded complaint to the committee chair and his party leader ridiculing the knuckle-head for unsafe gun handling.

Did anybody ensure the rifle was unloaded? Did Morrissey? Did he report it was unloaded?

In the photo it looks like the bolt is closed? Did anybody demand the bolt be retracted to show clear?

Did anybody say, "Get your damned thumb out of the trigger guard?" Or, "Watch where you point that damned thing."

Last edited:

va_tazdad

That is now.

He can't be charged:

Members of the General Assembly shall, in all cases except treason, felony, or breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during the sessions of their respective houses; and for any speech or debate in either house shall not be questioned in any other place. They shall not be subject to arrest under any civil process during the sessions of the General Assembly, or during the fifteen days before the beginning or after the ending of any session.

Why can't he be charged 16 days after the session is over?

Sounds like a plan to me.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Why can't he be charged 16 days after the session is over?

Sounds like a plan to me.

Read it again. Its basically saying that nothing the members say in the session can be charged in any other place. The part about any other place just means they can't be prosecuted outside the capitol for things they said inside the capitol. The fifteen day limit is not a reverse statute of limitations on speech and debate; it forbids them being arrested under civil process for fifteen days after the session--this is separate from the speech and debate clause; its not tied to the speech and debate clause. Its its own thing.

This is no surprise. Speech and debate protections are very old. I'm pretty sure such existed in ancient Rome. It basically protects legislators from being arrested by more powerful political enemies. For example, suppose Cato badmouths Julius Caesar in legislative session (Cato actually did). Then Julius Caesar becomes a consul (highest executive post, sorta like president) and decides to prosecute Cato for slanderous speech or something. Without the speech and debate clause, Cato and anyone like him is open to prosecution or arrest as soon as his political enemies can manage/arrange to do it and get away with it because no one else has the power or thugs or military to prevent it.

It was a definite breach of speech and debate protections when Octavian invaded the senate with soldiers and told the senators how they were going to vote on something. When the senators started grumbling about Octavian's high-handed method, a soldier half-drew his sword and said they would get what they wanted with or without the senate's approval. This basically qwelled all senatorial expressions of dissent.

Anyway, the idea is to insulate legislators from more powerful political enemies. Insofar as many legislators are themselves just power-hungry people, its really just the Commission agreeing that the Corleones won't shoot or kidnap any Gambinos until after the meeting and not for anything they say during the meeting.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
He can't be charged:

Breach of the peace n. any act which disturbs the public or even one person. It can include almost any criminal act causing fear or attempting intimidation, such as displaying a pistol or shouting inappropriately.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/breach+of+the+peace

If "Fighting Joe" has no CHP, then he is in violation of the Joint Resolution Commitee rule on having a gun in the GAB as well as possible violation of §18.2-287.4 which reads in part "is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition" - note that there is no requirement that the magazine actually be loaded.

sidestreet

I don't think you need to apologize river rat...,

Grape, please edit my expletives. Sorry, he just really gets under my skin. Wish he had stayed out of country. Can't believe the fools elected him to office.

it sounds like righteous indignation to me.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 v. 11-13

WE ARE NOT EQUAL, WE WILL NEVER BE EQUAL, BUT WE MUST BE RELENTLESS.

Esanders2008

Breach of the peace n. any act which disturbs the public or even one person. It can include almost any criminal act causing fear or attempting intimidation, such as displaying a pistol or shouting inappropriately.

If "Fighting Joe" has no CHP, then he is in violation of the Joint Resolution Commitee rule on having a gun in the GAB as well as possible violation of §18.2-287.4 which reads in part "is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition" - note that there is no requirement that the magazine actually be loaded.

IANAL, but I believe in the first portion, it states something about the rifle having to be loaded. I believe the the portion about capability to hold ammo is so that someone can't see the police coming, then just eject unused ammunition to save their skin. Just my thoughts.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran

Yeah, but read the whole thing...

" § 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or . . . "

Roscoe

Marco

is it me, or are there 2 different AK's pictured? one with a thumb hole stock, and one with a under folder?

Yep, two differrent AK variants...

Henrico Clerks office is closed today for the Holiday.

I sincerely hope Crazy Joe gets charged but the realist in me knows that won't happen.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yep, two differrent AK variants...

Henrico Clerks office is closed today for the Holiday.

I sincerely hope Crazy Joe gets charged but the realist in me knows that won't happen.

You're right Marco, he won't be charged with anything but maybe he'll start thinking before doing stupid stunts.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

The speech and debate clause is ancient; any court is going to give it lots of deference. I don't see a court treating that weapons display as a breach of peace. It wasn't brandishing; annoying as it was, he clearly wasn't threatening or trying to intimidate anyone--it was distinguishable.

Now that I think about it, the speech and debate clause was designed to protect against exactly what you all are trying to do, albeit by another legislator or the king. I'll wager that even the joint-resolution rule won't stand against the speech and debate clause. Its not like he was carrying a gun in the usual sense--he possessed exclusively for speech and debate. Rules don't trump the constitution.

You can try it; who knows, maybe it will stick. I very much doubt it, though. Unless...heh, heh, heh...you can find a judge who is his political enemy.

But, I think you have a better chance of publicizing his antics in light of gun safety violations such as I questioned above. And, the hypocrisy.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Delegate Morrissey Arguing Against Nerf Guns Forty Years from Now

Delegate Morrissey showing his great-grandson how he's going to make his point against Nerf assault rifles in the 2055 General Assembly session.

There's a finger inside a triggerguard. Wait for it...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9b5_1358515737 (sorry, I couldn't get it to embed)

Last edited: