• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Call to arms! March at the round house

Russ79

I've not been to active on the site but I have meet some of
You at the meets. It's time we stop talking about the 2ed Amendment
And start letting people know how we feel.
So I'm helping to org a rally at the roundhouse.

high noon. 1/19/13. That's a sat

Video with more info
http://youtu.be/MUAfft7l4wQ

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
The unintended consequence of drawing attention with any significant display at the same time a bill is being introduced that will most certainly be difficult to fight against with all the kneejerk reaction to the horrors in CT, may be the difference in succeeding in killing this bill - or it passing.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/119015141/Gun-Show-Bill-Draft

This is going to unquestionably be a difficult session for those of us working to improve our firearms laws in the legislature.

Personally, I don't see this as something positive at this time. If we didn't already have a heads-up on what we have to overcome in the session, I'd be good with this but I think the timing of a display like this is really bad.

The way you let people know how you really feel is to participate in your states legislative processes and hearings to work to actually change the parts of the law you don't agree with - not show off your guns to the people that can manipulate that display against you.

Steve Aikens

Last edited:

Russ79

Way to not know the subject before you make the post. If you watch the video
This is not a "open carry event" if you want to cc. That's fine. Dress nice bring the family

acmariner99

The unintended consequence of drawing attention with any significant display at the same time a bill is being introduced that will most certainly be difficult to fight against with all the kneejerk reaction to the horrors in CT, may be the difference in succeeding in killing this bill - or it passing.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/119015141/Gun-Show-Bill-Draft

This is going to unquestionably be a difficult session for those of us working to improve our firearms laws in the legislature.

Personally, I don't see this as something positive at this time. If we didn't already have a heads-up on what we have to overcome in the session, I'd be good with this but I think the timing of a display like this is really bad.

The way you let people know how you really feel is to participate in your states legislative processes and hearings to work to actually change the parts of the law you don't agree with - not show off your guns to the people that can manipulate that display against you.

Steve Aikens

Umm ... rallies like this are taking place all across the country this Saturday at people's respective state capitols. It is almost like saying "a right exercised is a right lost." We need to make our presence felt and that any new proposed restrictions are only punishing law abiding citizens.

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
Way to not know the subject before you make the post. If you watch the video
This is not a "open carry event" if you want to cc. That's fine. Dress nice bring the family

You're right. What would I possibly know about how something like this can affect our ability to succeed in the NM legislature.

However, if you think for a second that no one is going to show up carrying openly, you may be mistaken.

Have a great day.

Steve Aikens

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
For those of you that think this is a good time to do this in NM, hit the link:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-house-judiciary-amp-appropriatios-committees

I urge you to reconsider any kind of firearms related event in front the the roundhouse at this time.

As noted numerous times before this thread even came up: The way you let people know how you really feel is to participate in your states legislative processes and hearings to work to actually change the parts of the law you don't agree with.

I'll do my best to keep you informed when committees meet - this is where you actually get involved and do your part.

Steve Aikens

AH.74

With all due respect Steve, I think this is one area where I disagree with you. There is nothing wrong with exercising our first amendment rights.

"'the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances'"

.32acp

Just my $.02

So, are we doing this?

We New Mexicans should stand up and be seen and heard the same as everyone else in every other state across the country doing this. The broader the display the louder we are.

While I somewhat agree with Mr. Aikens, at the same time it will show just that we aren't backwoods rednecks or a small niche. There are THOUSANDS of us, from all walks of life. That needs to be shown because the media sure wont tell anyone. They can't avoid this truth when we all turn out.

Eric W.

snoball

With all due respect Steve, I think this is one area where I disagree with you. There is nothing wrong with exercising our first amendment rights.

"'the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances'"

Ditto. I believe any effort to show that there are many, many voting legitimate gun owners out there is good.

.32acp

I'll be there. But I won't be OC'ing.
Sounds good.

on the fence about carrying, it could help, it could hurt the cause. The media could demonize us for it. Then again, people would see responsible everyday citizens carrying and acting like respectable citizens, standing up for rights they believe in, the 1st and 2nd in this case specifically.

Last edited:

snoball

Good job for those that attended. It made the news and there was positive reporting about the gun owners.

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
"But Sen. Cisco McSorley, D-Albuquerque, says bringing guns to the New Mexico statehouse doesn't open dialogue about the ongoing debate about gun control.

"You don't negotiate ... you don't have dialogue at the point of a gun," he said.
"

I'll probably know more about any repercussions soon. If Sen. McSorley is the only one to comment - I don't care. He no longer holds any leadership position. There are others that do concern me.

Russ79: "Way to not know the subject before you make the post."....

BTW - I'll be up in Santa Fe off and on tomorrow and Tuesday, starting tomorrow around 1100hrs, throughout the session. If you can help out in any of the committees, shoot me an email at steve@nmpcs.com and I'll try to get with you.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Steve Aikens

Last edited:

AH.74

"But Sen. Cisco McSorley, D-Albuquerque, says bringing guns to the New Mexico statehouse doesn't open dialogue about the ongoing debate about gun control.

"You don't negotiate ... you don't have dialogue at the point of a gun," he said.
"

I'll probably know more about any repercussions soon. If Sen. McSorley is the only one to comment - I don't care. He no longer holds any leadership position. There are others that do concern me.

This was neither dialogue nor negotiation. It was simply a showing of people who support the second amendment and don't feel there should be any restrictions placed upon them and their rights.

If there are any repercussions from such a positive event, there is truly something wrong. Legislators are there to do what the people want- not what they themselves want, and not according to their own personal feelings. As such, they should take notice of what the people actually said they want at a time like this, in an event like this.

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
Something IS wrong her AH...... This is the NM Liberal movement. They have an agenda to push, right, wrong or indifferent.

Common sense - well, ain't so common in Santa Fe.

Steve Aikens