Thread: Am I grasping at something here?

Am I grasping at something here?

Please tell me I'm grasping at something and/or just becoming paranoid.

So I was looking at the legislative calendar trying to find out if anything would be going on in Olympia for the 19th, since it is a Saturday, and out of curiosity I ended up looking at the latest list of bills introduced in the house. Link is the 3rd one from the bottom in the right hand column on this page: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/

Or alternatively, here is the PDF it linked me to: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/bil...202013-001.pdf

Contained in that PDF among the others is HB 1062 By Representatives Fitzgibbon, Pedersen, Carlyle and Pollet "Removing provisions relating to subversive activities."

Here is the page on HB 1062: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summ...2013&bill=1062

The bill would, if I understand correctly, amend RCW 35A.42.020 and strike out the reference to RCW 9.81.040 as being grounds for impeachment and/or removal of office. 9.81.040 doesn't seem to say much outright, but it refers to RCW 9.81.030 and RCW 9.81.020 as being the catalysts for meeting the conditions of 9.81.040.

So would this mean that if an elected official violated RCW 9.81.020 (subverted the Constitution of the United States, or supported any organization in doing so) it would no longer be an impeachable offense?

Please tell me I'm just paranoid or clueless..
    Last edited by FrayedString; 01-11-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Interesting.

Not paranoid. All these small steps ad up to ........

What you wanna bet a bill like this would be passed by both the so called "sides of the aisle" of course with a different rationalization.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I was re-reading HB 1062 and noticed on my 2nd pass through that it would outright repeal RCW Title 9.81 (Subversive Activities). So, it would become legal under WA state law subvert, or attempt to subvert, the constitutional form of government of the United States and/or WA state?

Quote Originally Posted by HB1062
    1 AN ACT Relating to subversive activities; amending RCW 35A.42.020;
    2 and repealing RCW 9.81.010, 9.81.020, 9.81.030, 9.81.040, 9.81.050,
    3 9.81.060, 9.81.070, 9.81.080, 9.81.082, 9.81.083, 9.81.090, 9.81.110,
    4 and 9.81.120.
    Last edited by FrayedString; 01-14-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrayedString View Post
    ...So would this mean that if an elected official violated RCW 9.81.020 (subverted the Constitution of the United States, or supported any organization in doing so) it would no longer be an impeachable offense?

Please tell me I'm just paranoid or clueless..
    You're not. Insurance.
    Freedom can never be lost, only given away by ignorance, by choice, or at the point of a gun. Here in America we can still choose.

Freedom First 1775

"I aim to misbehave..." Malcolm Reynolds

Am I grasping at something here?

Quote Originally Posted by FrayedString View Post
    I was re-reading HB 1062 and noticed on my 2nd pass through that it would outright repeal RCW Title 9.81 (Subversive Activities). So, it would become legal under WA state law subvert, or attempt to subvert, the constitutional form of government of the United States and/or WA state?
    So wouldn't introducing this bill violate the existing law. We should act now.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    So wouldn't introducing this bill violate the existing law. We should act now.

I've already written my representatives!