• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Ran My Serial Number!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
That's the old "It's policy" rationale, which is disturbing. I wonder if he was trained that way, or he simply does it. Does he also run VIN's on every vehicle he comes across?

I would say don't give them any ideas, but its too late. Various PDs across the country now use license plate readers. Software has advanced to the point where a computer can sort out the license plate number from video image (kinda like us trying to read a "captcha" image), and then compare the license plate number to a database for warrants, etc.

Police and system manufacturers promote the system as helping catch felons and find stolen cars. Yeah, that's how it always starts. How long do you want to bet it takes before these things are used to seize your car for outstanding parking tickets, being late on paying the property tax on your car, etc., etc. How much longer until they start being used to track your movements?

Repeater

Oh if only you knew!! Several cities in the hampton roads area already use them for those purposes. So yeah...

Maybe some progressive souls in the General Assembly have had enough of the Surveillance State. For example, HB2012
A BILL to place a moratorium on the use of drones.

No state agency or organization having jurisdiction over criminal law enforcement or regulatory violations, including but not limited to the Department of State Police, and no department of law enforcement as defined in § 15.2-836 of any city, county, or town or any local agency having jurisdiction over criminal law enforcement or regulatory violations shall utilize an unmanned aircraft system until July 1, 2014.

A Drone Moratorium. Huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.