• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spokane Sacred Heart lockdown over MWG call.

John Hardin

Sacred Heart is a GFZ. Law abiding person wants to go to into the hospital, to visit someone. He has a carry on him, and let's say he normally carry's openly. He puts his carry in the trunk because the hospital does not allow it inside.
Question: does the declaration by the hospital of a GFZ carry any weight of law? If not, then you aren't "law-abiding" if you disarm, merely polite and respectful of the property owner's wishes.

hermannr

Question: does the declaration by the hospital of a GFZ carry any weight of law? If not, then you aren't "law-abiding" if you disarm, merely polite and respectful of the property owner's wishes.

Hospitals are not GFZs by law. I had our local PUBLIC hospital take their signs down because I showed them that in RCW 9.41.300 there is no provision for them to post the Hospital itself. The only provision is if they have a SECURE mental health facility within the hospital, that is to be a GFZ, but nothing more.

The local PUBLIC hospital took it to their lawyer, who concured with what I told them, and they removed the signs from the entrance doors. (these signs had just gone up when they built a new addition on and changed the entrance)

As to a private hospital...say Sacred Heart or the Wenatchee Valley Medical Center...It is their hospital, and they can post, or not, as they please.

Vitaeus

Not sure if it was a rhetorical question, but no, hospitals in general are not prohibited locations. If they have a mental ward, they would be covered by 9.41.300, in a similar way police stations.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

On private property you can be found in violation of trespass laws, by a failure to leave when asked by an agent to do so, posted signs are generally not a lawful warning in Washington. One that is is the LCB over 21 signage for bars.

carolina guy

I think a question that needs to be posed to ANY police officer that is "checking out" a person OCing is:

"how many bad guys have YOU ever caught PROPERLY OCing a firearm?"

I am betting the answer is very very very close to ZERO in modern day America.

Perhaps they need to spend more time on looking for the "obvious" bad guys...or just admit that they are NOT "law enforcement" but rather just "order maintenance" officers.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Very often law enforcement has to respond with little and inaccurate information and sometimes it appears to be over whelming or excessive but let something happen and they did not respond in force and you will see many nay sayers here cry "there not here to defend you", "they did not do their job" and what every other derogatory remark they can think of.
Come to grips with that there are things that matter beyond themselves.

Carrying a rifle or shotgun in a hospital is just plain stupid, carrying openly in a hospital is asking for a response and when you get one you do not like, whine whine whine.

Carrying concealed at times in areas you know will conflict in viewpoint is just fine, you are not being denied to bear arms outside the home, just adapting to your environment and maintaining your ability to defend yourself and loved ones.

bennie1986

If it's marked EXIT, it can't be locked during business hours. Locked from the inside?[/COLOR]

Yes, we were trying to get to our car in the parking garage attached to the children's hospital and er and the door was locked so we could not leave. Only way out was through er. That was according to people we ran into also trying to get out and the security guard at the er entrance.

Jeff Hayes

Very often law enforcement has to respond with little and inaccurate information and sometimes it appears to be over whelming or excessive but let something happen and they did not respond in force and you will see many nay sayers here cry "there not here to defend you", "they did not do their job" and what every other derogatory remark they can think of.
Come to grips with that there are things that matter beyond themselves.

Carrying a rifle or shotgun in a hospital is just plain stupid, carrying openly in a hospital is asking for a response and when you get one you do not like, whine whine whine.

Carrying concealed at times in areas you know will conflict in viewpoint is just fine, you are not being denied to bear arms outside the home, just adapting to your environment and maintaining your ability to defend yourself and loved ones.

Dave they were just near the hospital not in it.

bennie1986

Okay, so I got ambitious and called to ask if it was hospital policy or spd mandate to lock down in the way they did. They guy i talked to started by saying he could not discuss security policy with me so he took my name and number so his manager could call me back and answer my question. Then he asked why i wanted to know and i told him i thought it was stupid that they didnt have an officer at the only entrance to the hospital when they were looking for a supposed armed man. He didnt say much after that but the whole time he seemed pissed off that i was asking questions.