• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assault weapons belong on the battlefield?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
How about try this one: http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Burglary-suspect-shot-by-15-year-old-son-of-deputy-97430719.html

Please note...it states the 15 year old used an Assault RIFLE, and the BG had three wounds? Breitebart has this online too...but they say it was an AR15....Maybe not...this is Texas, and this kids dad is in LE anyway.

Here is one huge issue: The AP Style guide that reporters use, it is just plain wrong. (You will need to scroll down or search for the 'weapons' section. http://alumni.imsa.edu/org/hadron/ap.pdf

assault-style weapon Any
semiautomatic pistol, rifle or
shotgun originally designed for
military or police use with a large
ammunition capacity. Also,
firearms that feature two or more
accessories such as a detachable
magazine, folding or telescopic
stock, silencer, pistol grip, bayonet mount or a device to suppress
the flash emitted while shooting
in the dark.

clip A metal container for cartridges, inserted in certain types
of firearms.

magazine The chamber on a
rifle or pistol from which cartridges are fed.

Alpine

Assault rifle is the term; assault weapons is a term invented by anti-gunners to slop negative emotions from machine guns over onto lots of other semi-automatic firearms. If you use the term assault weapons, you are playing into the anti-gunners' hands by letting them define the argument.

Regarding assault rifles, they were highly regulated before they were even invented. The anti-machine gun regulations date from the 1930's; the first assault rifle, the Sturmghewer, was invented by the Germans in 1944 or so. Mikhail Kalashnikov created his in 1947 after deciding it would be good for his country to have one. And, Eugene Stoner invented the AR/M16 in the mid-1950's or so.

If anybody gives you an opening, just look amused, and off-handedly twist the argument back by redefining the argument without saying you are doing so and say, "Oh, assault rifles were illegal before they were even invented."

Thanks for the correction, didn't even realize I was falling into that.

hermannr

Here is one huge issue: The AP Style guide that reporters use, it is just plain wrong. (You will need to scroll down or search for the 'weapons' section. http://alumni.imsa.edu/org/hadron/ap.pdf

Ah yes, but in this particular case the term used was "RIFLE", which would, IF the the term was used correctly, I might just believe it was, it could have easily been a 3 shot burst M16A2...because....the parent was a LEO> and, it would be proper for a properly discharge M16A2 to fire 3 rounds with one trigger pull.

Adult Bad Guy was admitted to hospital with three wounds...the teen BG was not wounded....

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Ah yes, but in this particular case the term used was "RIFLE", which would, the the term was used correctly, I might just believe it was, it could have easily been a 3 shot burst M16A2...because....the parent was a LEO> and, it would be proper for a properly discharge M16A2 to fire 3 rounds with one trigger pull.

Adult Bad Guy was admitted to hospital with three wounds...the teen BG was not wounded....

Or he fired three times like most train. The media has been using "assault weapon" and "assault rifle" interchangeably for a while now. See how that whole serial misinformation thing works now? Why would you trust the media to report accurately on a gun-related issue in the first place? How many times have you heard the media say "a license is required to carry outside the home in WA," or words to that effect, by now?

jt59

So, here is a slightly different question.... Having been in numerous conversations with some folks, I have often gotten the question "who needs an assault weapon"...I have gotten to answering these questions, with a question...but don't really know if it's true or if I just think it is....

My answer: Why do police swat teams need to have select fire assault rifles?

Have I been leading people astray? I know it really brings them up short when they think about who they might need to use it on....

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

So, here is a slightly different question.... Having been in numerous conversations with some folks, I have often gotten the question "who needs an assault weapon"...I have gotten to answering these questions, with a question...but don't really know if it's true or if I just think it is....

Have I been leading people astray? I know it really brings them up short when they think about who they might need to use it on....

I don't even answer the question. It's a trap and a shoddy one at that, ask why we need to ban them and then argue from there. You "need" absolutely nothing other then food, air, water, and shelter. So don't even engage that question, ask them why new laws should be passed and then argue those points

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I don't even answer the question. It's a trap and a shoddy one at that, ask why we need to ban them and then argue from there. You "need" absolutely nothing other then food, air, water, and shelter. So don't even engage that question, ask them why new laws should be passed and then argue those points

+1

Probably the most penetrating counter-question is to ask them why they have homeowner's insurance since its clear they don't need it.

Metalhead47

It's a Bill of Rights. Not a Bill of Needs.

The actual answer to that question, well...

truth_2.png

Oh, I never take a watermelon lightly. I always take them in the quietest, sneakiest, most surreptitious way I can.

:)

(I read too much Mark Twain.)

Try taking this one...

Capture152-203x300.PNG

Surreptitious or other wise, better make sure your health insurance is paid up first :eek:

jt59

Well, I should have clarified, these are people that I know...uneducated maybe, curious, buying into the hype in some cases...not always anti, but willing to talk about it....

The house insurance, why do you lock your car when it's in a prkgl lot, do you have a home alarm on your house, etc. etc....doesn't always resonate with them....they actually think that this is enough, effective and will auto-dial 911...

I answered my own question on the question of police/swat with auto fire capability....yes, many, many do have it. During this current debate on gun control and rights, it's still my best response to make someone sit back and think for a minute about "why" would a police force need to have auto fire weaponry....it's not for bank robbers and car thieves....

Metalhead47

Well, I should have clarified, these are people that I know...uneducated maybe, curious, buying into the hype in some cases...not always anti, but willing to talk about it....

The house insurance, why do you lock your car when it's in a prkgl lot, do you have a home alarm on your house, etc. etc....doesn't always resonate with them....they actually think that this is enough, effective and will auto-dial 911...

I answered my own question on the question of police/swat with auto fire capability....yes, many, many do have it. During this current debate on gun control and rights, it's still my best response to make someone sit back and think for a minute about "why" would a police force need to have auto fire weaponry....it's not for bank robbers and car thieves....

... perhaps a follow on question of, why do police need full-auto weapons, or guns AT ALL, in places like Europe where nearly all guns, and especially "assault weapons," are completely illegal?