• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Universal Background Checks":Code for Universal Gun Registration

eye95

The phrase "well regulated" meant to the Founders, "made regular." It is only in relative recent history that regulating means making rules.

A well-regulated militia was trained, drilled, equipped, organized, etc.

Regular interstate commerce was commerce that moved regularly without undue interference from the States.

Unfortunately, among today's leaders, "regulate" means "Oh, goody, I get to make rules and control people."

Last edited:

OC4me

Nobody has seen the soon-to-be proposed legislation. I think that when all the pretty wrapping paper is taken off the package, you'll find some sort of de facto registration. You can bet on that!

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
The 4473s are not sent to the feds unless the FFL goes out of business within 20 years of creation of the 4473. Even then, it is only supposed to be stored by the BATFE in place of the defunct FFL for the remainder of the 20 years, and then destroyed. For those 4473s, I cannot attest to what the BATFE actually does. The law was written this way specifically so that the 4473s would NOT be available for the feds to use as a de facto registration system. If they use it as such, they are violating the spirit and the letter of the law.

Again, let's fight the evil that is, not the one that we imagine is.

On edit: A couple of dozen 4473s pass through my hands each day as I fill them out, check the work of others, and/or enter the forms in the bound book. I kinda know whereof I speak.

HAHA. And the Federal Government has NEVER been known to "violate the spirit of the law" have they? Or how about the law itself?

eye95

Nobody has seen the soon-to-be proposed legislation. I think that when all the pretty wrapping paper is taken off the package, you'll find some sort of de facto registration. You can bet on that!

Feinstein has made no bones about including registration in her legislation. It won't be disguised as anything other than what it is. If her legislation passes, all existing "assault weapons" will be registered and taxed.

DangerClose

Interesting. What prevents your lawfully purchased firearm being entered into a stolen gun DB by a LEO who runs your firearm's serial number to check whether or not it is stolen?

Nothing. That's what they do with the E-trace system. A system they let other countries use. And it has your information in it.

Well, the Firearm Owners Protection Act made registration illegal. Now we just need government to abide by its own laws.

OC for ME

No current congress can hold a future congress to any acts enacted by the former congress. SCOTUS has always deferred to congress on this issue. If congress, over the years, continues to violate the constitution then SCOTUS will sometimes inform congress to fix the unconstitutional law.

sudden valley gunner

Maybe you should read the second amendment...

It's short and too the point, they can't accept that and want to read more into it. I'll post it for him to read again.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

then you are regulating the members, not the member's possessions. Apples and Oranges.

If we accept his twisted modern statist definition of the words , you are right.

The phrase "well regulated" meant to the Founders, "made regular." It is only in relative recent history that regulating means making rules.

Regular interstate commerce was commerce that moved regularly without undue interference from the States.

Unfortunately, among today's leaders, "regulate" means "Oh, goody, I get to make rules and control people."

Good post! Also Citizen brought to my attention another meaning used at that time, which is still fairly synonymous to what you are saying, function properly, regulate a clock not on time, or your rifle if your sights were off.

So when I break down the second amendment a specific law restricting the Federal Government. I get....

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

A very regular or well functioning group of citizens of arm bearing age being necessary for the security of a free state, the all ready existing right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be encroached upon, interfered with, hampered....etc.

What is the best way to make your armed citizens well functioning? My guess is even the founders, framers and people of the various colonies disagreed, except for the right of every individual to be armed. And why they wrote the second amendment the way they did.

Last edited:

OC for ME

<snip> A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

A very regular or well functioning group of citizens of arm bearing age being necessary for the security of a free state, the all ready existing right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be encroached upon, interfered with, hampered....etc.

What is the best way to make your armed citizens well functioning? My guess is even the founders, framers and people of the various colonies disagreed, except for the right of every individual to be armed. And why they wrote the second amendment the way they did.
http://www.metamucil.com/index.php?...&utm_content=sKYpWjO7c_9430865902_e_metamucil

This is not a endorsement of the product listed above. Used merely to make a lame point.

eye95

*sigh*

I just thought it needed to be said again.

Firearms Iinstuctor

The 2nd anmendment has two parts the frist allows the states to have a militia and that they should be trained. The antis has pushed the idea for decades that this covers the whole amendment.

The 2nd part covers the peoples right to bear arms and that shall not be infringed.

The antis and the left like to leave the 2nd part out.

By only refering to the militia clause is falling into the trap the antis has set to disallow the 2nd part of it.