• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fnh 5.7

glock27OKC

I just wanted to hear everyone opinion on this pistol. I know the ammo is expensive and damn near impossible to get but besides that. What are the positives and negitives? I do have one myself but havent got a chance to shoot it yet.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
It's an awesome pistol. Holds 20 rounds, and can fire them all and stay on target, since it has practically no recoil. However, that round has real overpenetration issues. I would love to have one (or three), but I wouldn't EDC it. Overpenetration means that there is energy left that didn't get put into the bod of the BG.

Aknazer

It has 20 rounds and from what I've seen it looks to have good ballistics. Not all ammo is available on the civilian market, and there are differences between rounds, but what I've seen looking around (I was looking at this gun about a year ago) is that it doesn't really have over-penetration problems any worse than most other pistol rounds out there. This thread had some good info in it regarding the various rounds on the civilian market and their penetration characteristics.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Overpenetration? What is overpenetration? Don't tell me lunkheaded gunners invented a new word just because they didn't have the vocabulary for a word that already exists: perforation.

Aknazer

Overpenetration? What is overpenetration? Don't tell me lunkheaded gunners invented a new word just because they didn't have the vocabulary for a word that already exists: perforation.

While perforation could apply, it doesn't have to mean penetrating further than one would desire. But the term "over penetration" directly refers to the potential of a round to penetrate deeper/further than desired (such as it's ability to penetrate multiple walls or to go in/out of the target).

So it isn't about creating a new term because they didn't know of another word meaning the same thing, it is creating a new term in order to be more precise in just which definition they mean.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
While perforation could apply, it doesn't have to mean penetrating further than one would desire. But the term "over penetration" directly refers to the potential of a round to penetrate deeper/further than desired (such as it's ability to penetrate multiple walls or to go in/out of the target).

So it isn't about creating a new term because they didn't know of another word meaning the same thing, it is creating a new term in order to be more precise in just which definition they mean.

Phffft.

Perforate means go through. That's the key objection. And, that word, in the context of a bullet, can contain all the associations contained in over-penetration.

Also, who can define how many perforated walls count as penetration, and how many more before being counted as over-penetration? (rhetorical question)

I got $5 says some gunzine writer a little short on vocabulary thunk up the term.

Not that its going to change anytime soon.

Pulp

Never seen or shot one, but from I gather off the 'net, it is a glorified .22Mag. I believe I'd rather have a KelTec PMR30. The super loads that everyone says "overpenetrate" or "perforate" are not available to the public as far as I know.

Aknazer

Phffft.

Perforate means go through. That's the key objection. And, that word, in the context of a bullet, can contain all the associations contained in over-penetration.

Also, who can define how many perforated walls count as penetration, and how many more before being counted as over-penetration? (rhetorical question)

I got $5 says some gunzine writer a little short on vocabulary thunk up the term.

Not that its going to change anytime soon.

Sure it "can" contain all that, but that doesn't mean that which definition is being used is clear. For example, if a round enters someone but doesn't exit out the backside the round still perforated the individual. So then when talking about the subject of punching a whole clean through the person or multiple layers of something, simply using the term "perforate" could be unclear to the other party(ies) if you simply used the term perforate.