Thread: One Gun A Month

One Gun A Month

Anybody here familiar with the inner workings of Virginia's one gun a month law?

That law was eliminated last July. There are no restrictions on the number you may purchase in a month any longer.

I'm aware of that, unfortunately we still have ours. I was wondering how it was tracked. Here in NJ you have to get a purchase permit from the PD for each and every handgun you want to buy so it's easy to track since the state police gets a copy of the permit after each sale whether purchased from a store or another citizen. What would have stopped a VA resident from buying a gun at one store then buying one at another store the next day?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c1ogden View Post
    I'm aware of that, unfortunately we still have ours. I was wondering how it was tracked. Here in NJ you have to get a purchase permit from the PD for each and every handgun you want to buy so it's easy to track since the state police gets a copy of the permit after each sale whether purchased from a store or another citizen. What would have stopped a VA resident from buying a gun at one store then buying one at another store the next day?
    It would show up in the instant background check for store purchases.

Personal sales wouldn't show and as far as I know, 1 gun a month didn't apply to private sales. If it did, it was completely ignored.

In Virginia, the state kept track of all purchases for the previous 30 days. After that they were required by law to purge the information.

When you bought a gun from a FFL dealer, they would call Richmond and validate you were allowed to buy. Richmond would check your Criminal History, Mental Status, and Restraining Orders, and if you purchased a gun in the previous 30 days. There was an exemption to the 30 days if you had a CCW. Then you could buy all you wanted.
    Last edited by Mayhem; 01-13-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    It would show up in the instant background check for store purchases.

Personal sales wouldn't show and as far as I know, 1 gun a month didn't apply to private sales. If it did, it was completely ignored.
    It also didn't apply if you had a CHP or were trading one gun for another through an FFL. I don't remember which year the law exempting CHP holders from one gun a month went into effect, however.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 01-13-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Thanks guys, I was just curious.

One Gun A Month

VA code 18.2-308 is a great place to start for answers. The following sections are also illuminating.

Anybody here familiar with the inner workings of Virginia's one gun a month law?
    It darned near financially ruined many folks.

"But sweetheart, it's the law. I have to buy one handgun a month."

Yes, there were those who got away with that. They are the ones who "just find" something in the back of the gun safe that must have been there for years after they come back from a gun show/trip to the gun store.

Otherwise, the explanations above cover it. We didn't need no steenkin' purchase permits - we had computers, and still refuse to ask "Mother, may I?" before we even go to the gun store/gun show.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    It darned near financially ruined many folks.

"But sweetheart, it's the law. I have to buy one handgun a month."

Yes, there were those who got away with that. They are the ones who "just find" something in the back of the gun safe that must have been there for years after they come back from a gun show/trip to the gun store.

Otherwise, the explanations above cover it. We didn't need no steenkin' purchase permits - we had computers, and still refuse to ask "Mother, may I?" before we even go to the gun store/gun show.

stay safe.
    damn straight i almost ruined a few folks lol

i had a few gun returns when i worked at galyans because of the wife "finding" it in the back of the safe

It also only applied to handguns, not long arms.

I still try to keep up with my personal "one a month" plan.