• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One Gun A Month

c1ogden

Anybody here familiar with the inner workings of Virginia's one gun a month law?

Numenor

That law was eliminated last July. There are no restrictions on the number you may purchase in a month any longer.

c1ogden

I'm aware of that, unfortunately we still have ours. I was wondering how it was tracked. Here in NJ you have to get a purchase permit from the PD for each and every handgun you want to buy so it's easy to track since the state police gets a copy of the permit after each sale whether purchased from a store or another citizen. What would have stopped a VA resident from buying a gun at one store then buying one at another store the next day?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm aware of that, unfortunately we still have ours. I was wondering how it was tracked. Here in NJ you have to get a purchase permit from the PD for each and every handgun you want to buy so it's easy to track since the state police gets a copy of the permit after each sale whether purchased from a store or another citizen. What would have stopped a VA resident from buying a gun at one store then buying one at another store the next day?

It would show up in the instant background check for store purchases.

Personal sales wouldn't show and as far as I know, 1 gun a month didn't apply to private sales. If it did, it was completely ignored.

Mayhem

In Virginia, the state kept track of all purchases for the previous 30 days. After that they were required by law to purge the information.

When you bought a gun from a FFL dealer, they would call Richmond and validate you were allowed to buy. Richmond would check your Criminal History, Mental Status, and Restraining Orders, and if you purchased a gun in the previous 30 days. There was an exemption to the 30 days if you had a CCW. Then you could buy all you wanted.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
It would show up in the instant background check for store purchases.

Personal sales wouldn't show and as far as I know, 1 gun a month didn't apply to private sales. If it did, it was completely ignored.

It also didn't apply if you had a CHP or were trading one gun for another through an FFL. I don't remember which year the law exempting CHP holders from one gun a month went into effect, however.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Anybody here familiar with the inner workings of Virginia's one gun a month law?

It darned near financially ruined many folks.

"But sweetheart, it's the law. I have to buy one handgun a month."

Yes, there were those who got away with that. They are the ones who "just find" something in the back of the gun safe that must have been there for years after they come back from a gun show/trip to the gun store.

Otherwise, the explanations above cover it. We didn't need no steenkin' purchase permits - we had computers, and still refuse to ask "Mother, may I?" before we even go to the gun store/gun show.

stay safe.

cptstoney

It darned near financially ruined many folks.

"But sweetheart, it's the law. I have to buy one handgun a month."

Yes, there were those who got away with that. They are the ones who "just find" something in the back of the gun safe that must have been there for years after they come back from a gun show/trip to the gun store.

Otherwise, the explanations above cover it. We didn't need no steenkin' purchase permits - we had computers, and still refuse to ask "Mother, may I?" before we even go to the gun store/gun show.

stay safe.

damn straight i almost ruined a few folks lol

i had a few gun returns when i worked at galyans because of the wife "finding" it in the back of the safe