Thread: Auburn PD Citizens Academy Sign up

Auburn PD Citizens Academy Sign up

I think anyone who can should go to something like this, you meet the Officers and can start to build a relationships....oh and its FREE

http://www.auburnwa.gov/services/pol...ns_academy.htm

Pre-registration now open for popular
    Auburn Citizens Academy

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 10, 2013
    Distributed for the City of Auburn Police Department
    Registration is open for Auburn Police Department's Citizens Academy, scheduled to begin March 6, 2013. Space is limited. Pre-registration is required. Evening sessions will explore the inner workings of the police department and give citizens direct, candid, first-hand information regarding this important city public safety function.
    The 2013 Auburn Police Department Citizens Academy consists of eleven Wednesday evening class sessions from 6:30 p.m. 9:30 p.m. and one Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Classes starts on March 6th and graduation will be on May 15th. Most classes will meet at the Auburn Police Department located at 340 East Main St. Suite 201. Topics include the following:
    Department organization
    Patrol operations
    Procedural law regarding arrest, search, and seizure
    Traffic laws and enforcement
    911 dispatch center operations
    Law enforcement recruiting, hiring, and training
    SCORE Tour and operations
    Investigations of crimes against persons, property crimes, child abuse, domestic violence, internet crimes against children, homicide, narcotics crimes
    Vehicle pursuits
    Use of force, including TASER
    SWAT operations (including hostage negotiations)
    Civil disturbance response
    Internal affairs investigations
    K9 operations (general patrol and narcotics K9)
    Our local court system
    Community Response Team
    Auburn PD Volunteer Program
    The Citizens Academy is offered free of charge to any Auburn citizen 18 years or older. Applications are available on the City of Auburn website at http://www.auburnwa.gov/page951.aspx. Applicants must pass a background check prior to being admitted to the class.
    For further information call 253-804-3124.
    # # #

Used to work with City of Auburn and specifically the PD. Least when I worked there, there were some good guys on the force. They had their fair share of "Rambo-wanna-be" types, and those were the ones that cultivated the attitude of "us-vs-them" more than any other...but mostly they were good people. Did a few ridealongs on top of my everyday interactions with the officers on the job, it was an educational experience and I'd recommend this academy it to anybody wanting to learn more about police work. Never know, you might win some hearts and minds as well....

Wenatchee

Me and the wife went to the Wenatchee one a year ago and it was fun. I recemmend it to all.
    I would thank Guy of the Wenatchee Police Dept for a Great Class.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 911Grunt View Post
    SNIP I think anyone who can should go to something like this,...
    I couldn't do it. Each and every violation or attempted violation of rights, no matter how tiny others might think it, would be the subject of a formal written complaint. Me taking notes during the ride-along would give it away.

Worse, any time a cop asked consent for entry or a search, I'd have an irresistable urge to tell the suspect he is not required to consent.

It just wouldn't work.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-14-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I couldn't do it. Each and every violation or attempted violation of rights, no matter how tiny others might think it, would be the subject of a formal written complaint. Me taking notes during the ride-along would give it away.

Worse, any time a cop asked consent for entry or a search, I'd have an irresistable urge to tell the suspect he is not required to consent.

It just wouldn't work.
    +1
    Live Free or Die!

It just wouldn't work.
    -- Hmmm.... Maybe we should have a citizens group who does ride alongs specifically to do this. Keep them in check, and remind them that they are public servants and that they work for us. - Seems the whole idea of checks and balances in this Country went out the window some time ago. We should be doing this with our government too.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

It just wouldn't work.
    +1 I couldn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Batousaii View Post
    -- Hmmm.... Maybe we should have a citizens group who does ride alongs specifically to do this. Keep them in check, and remind them that they are public servants and that they work for us. - Seems the whole idea of checks and balances in this Country went out the window some time ago. We should be doing this with our government too.
    Good idea. I do all I can to inform people, even in front of LEO's a few times.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

It just wouldn't work.
    LOL. This would be me as well.

"psst! Tell him you don't consent to any searches."

Re: Auburn PD Citizens Academy Sign up

Open cary frendley?

It just wouldn't work.
    You would also likely be charged with obstructing a law enforcement officer in the performance of this duties... and you'd only get to do it once. I encourage you to never obstruct a public official, law enforcement officer or otherwise.
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rapgood View Post
    You would also likely be charged with obstructing a law enforcement officer in the performance of this duties... and you'd only get to do it once. I encourage you to never obstruct a public official, law enforcement officer or otherwise.
    Wasn't there a case not long ago though that said informing someone detained by a cop of his right not to answer wasn't obstruction?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Wasn't there a case not long ago though that said informing someone detained by a cop of his right not to answer wasn't obstruction?
    Of course that doesn't mean they won't charge you. Let the judge figure it out.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!