• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Auburn PD Citizens Academy Sign up

911Grunt

I think anyone who can should go to something like this, you meet the Officers and can start to build a relationships....oh and its FREE :banana::monkey

http://www.auburnwa.gov/services/police/police_programs/citizens_academy.htm

Pre-registration now open for popular
Auburn Citizens Academy

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — January 10, 2013
Distributed for the City of Auburn Police Department
Registration is open for Auburn Police Department's Citizens Academy, scheduled to begin March 6, 2013. Space is limited. Pre-registration is required. Evening sessions will explore the inner workings of the police department and give citizens direct, candid, first-hand information regarding this important city public safety function.
The 2013 Auburn Police Department Citizens Academy consists of eleven Wednesday evening class sessions from 6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. and one Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Classes starts on March 6th and graduation will be on May 15th. Most classes will meet at the Auburn Police Department located at 340 East Main St. Suite 201. Topics include the following:
• Department organization
• Patrol operations
• Procedural law regarding arrest, search, and seizure
• Traffic laws and enforcement
• 911 dispatch center operations
• Law enforcement recruiting, hiring, and training
• SCORE Tour and operations
• Investigations of crimes against persons, property crimes, child abuse, domestic violence, internet crimes against children, homicide, narcotics crimes
• Vehicle pursuits
• Use of force, including TASER
• SWAT operations (including hostage negotiations)
• Civil disturbance response
• Internal affairs investigations
• K9 operations (general patrol and narcotics K9)
• Our local court system
• Community Response Team
• Auburn PD Volunteer Program
The Citizens Academy is offered free of charge to any Auburn citizen 18 years or older. Applications are available on the City of Auburn website at http://www.auburnwa.gov/page951.aspx. Applicants must pass a background check prior to being admitted to the class.
For further information call 253-804-3124.
# # #

compmanio365

Used to work with City of Auburn and specifically the PD. Least when I worked there, there were some good guys on the force. They had their fair share of "Rambo-wanna-be" types, and those were the ones that cultivated the attitude of "us-vs-them" more than any other...but mostly they were good people. Did a few ridealongs on top of my everyday interactions with the officers on the job, it was an educational experience and I'd recommend this academy it to anybody wanting to learn more about police work. Never know, you might win some hearts and minds as well....

TheGunMan

Wenatchee

Me and the wife went to the Wenatchee one a year ago and it was fun. I recemmend it to all.
I would thank Guy of the Wenatchee Police Dept for a Great Class.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I think anyone who can should go to something like this,...

I couldn't do it. Each and every violation or attempted violation of rights, no matter how tiny others might think it, would be the subject of a formal written complaint. Me taking notes during the ride-along would give it away.

Worse, any time a cop asked consent for entry or a search, I'd have an irresistable urge to tell the suspect he is not required to consent.

It just wouldn't work.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I couldn't do it. Each and every violation or attempted violation of rights, no matter how tiny others might think it, would be the subject of a formal written complaint. Me taking notes during the ride-along would give it away.

Worse, any time a cop asked consent for entry or a search, I'd have an irresistable urge to tell the suspect he is not required to consent.

It just wouldn't work.

+1

Batousaii

It just wouldn't work.

-- Hmmm.... Maybe we should have a citizens group who does ride alongs specifically to do this. Keep them in check, and remind them that they are public servants and that they work for us. - Seems the whole idea of checks and balances in this Country went out the window some time ago. We should be doing this with our government too.

sudden valley gunner

It just wouldn't work.

+1 I couldn't either.

-- Hmmm.... Maybe we should have a citizens group who does ride alongs specifically to do this. Keep them in check, and remind them that they are public servants and that they work for us. - Seems the whole idea of checks and balances in this Country went out the window some time ago. We should be doing this with our government too.

Good idea. I do all I can to inform people, even in front of LEO's a few times.

LarryM

This must be a statewide initiative because the Spokane County Sheriff's Department is offering the same Academy format this week and next...

thewise1

It just wouldn't work.

LOL. This would be me as well.

"psst! Tell him you don't consent to any searches."

rapgood

It just wouldn't work.
You would also likely be charged with obstructing a law enforcement officer in the performance of this duties... and you'd only get to do it once. I encourage you to never obstruct a public official, law enforcement officer or otherwise.

sudden valley gunner

You would also likely be charged with obstructing a law enforcement officer in the performance of this duties... and you'd only get to do it once. I encourage you to never obstruct a public official, law enforcement officer or otherwise.

Wasn't there a case not long ago though that said informing someone detained by a cop of his right not to answer wasn't obstruction?