• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ORC's pertaining to us for OC

rmeebix

OK, I am new to this forum and to OC and have done a good amount of researching. I know about ORC 9.68, which is our challenge to law for OC. I also know about ORC 2917.11 and ORC 2917.31 which police might try and pull on us in the event of them detaining me and then proceeding to tell them about ORC 9.68. I also know about ORC 2933.52 for when I start to record the police and they tell me to stop, which I dont. I was wondering what else I should know, these are the main ORC's i see on this forum. ANY AND ALL INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED!

Hareuhal

I am on my phone so will be brief....

DO NOT WILLINGLY TELL THEM YOU ARE RECORDING THEM.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

rmeebix

I always tell them I am recording them, it will sometimes keep them from getting stupid. ORC 2933.52 protects me and my rights to record encounters.

eye95

Telling them that you are recording is the recording equivalent to OC as opposed to CC. I'd rather they know and not violate my rights than they don't know, they violate them, and I can get revenge. OC is designed to stop thugs; CC is designed to let them start their mayhem, and then respond. OR (open recording) is designed to stop thuggish behavior by cops; CR (concealed recording) is designed to let them start their mayhem, and then respond.

If they haven't already egregiously violated my rights before I can tell them, I will tell them (and have told them) about my recorder. If they are already on a path to stripping me of my dignity illegally, informing them is no longer an issue; I'm in full-on gotcha mode. I haven't felt the need to play gotcha with a rogue cop yet. I hope I never have to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Hareuhal

Telling them that you are recording is the recording equivalent to OC as opposed to CC. I'd rather they know and not violate my rights than they don't know, they violate them, and I can get revenge. OC is designed to stop thugs; CC is designed to let them start their mayhem, and then respond. OR (open recording) is designed to stop thuggish behavior by cops; CR (concealed recording) is designed to let them start their mayhem, and then respond.

If they haven't already egregiously violated my rights before I can tell them, I will tell them (and have told them) about my recorder. If they are already on a path to stripping me of my dignity illegally, informing them is no longer an issue; I'm in full-on gotcha mode. I haven't felt the need to play gotcha with a rogue cop yet. I hope I never have to.

<o>

I disagree, myself. Telling them only invites them to "accidentally" break your recorder while violating your rights.

I would much rather not tell them, and have them act foolishly and me have evidence. When the Brooklyn PD officer was harassing me, I did not inform him. I waited until I contacted his Chief and let him know I have a recording.

I will never delete it, either, just in case it is ever needed in the future.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

eye95

The accidentally broken recorder is kinda like the fabled OC gun snatch. Yes it has happened, and you surely hear about it when it does, making it sound more prevalent than it is. However, for the most part, it just doesn't happen. And, if the officers are violating your rights that badly, they're gonna find the hidden recorder and are probably more likely to react badly, feeling that they have been deceived.

Better to forestall the rights violations than to be able to react to them later. The two instances where I had a recorder running during an encounter, the cops knew it. I really believe that it helped temper the officers' actions, knowing that they would be held to account later for their actions.

Notice to Columbus PD: On January 19th, I will have a recorder running as I OC near the capitol as part of Guns Across America. You would be wise to restrain any urges to harass me or those around me. You will be held to account.

rmeebix

The accidentally broken recorder is kinda like the fabled OC gun snatch. Yes it has happened, and you surely hear about it when it does, making it sound more prevalent than it is. However, for the most part, it just doesn't happen. And, if the officers are violating your rights that badly, they're gonna find the hidden recorder and are probably more likely to react badly, feeling that they have been deceived.

Better to forestall the rights violations than to be able to react to them later. The two instances where I had a recorder running during an encounter, the cops knew it. I really believe that it helped temper the officers' actions, knowing that they would be held to account later for their actions.

Notice to Columbus PD: On January 19th, I will have a recorder running as I OC near the capitol as part of Guns Across America. You would be wise to restrain any urges to harass me or those around me. You will be held to account.

EYE95, do you know of any OC events going on in the month of february? preferably after the 8th? I am coming home on leave before my PCS to Germany and would like to partake before I leave the country for 2 years.

eye95

No, but if you give us a range of dates, we'll schedule something.

If nothing else, we could do a meet, greet, and eat.

There is a national thing going on on[\i] the 8th. I don't know the details because I work that day and won't be participating.

<o>

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
The accidentally broken recorder is kinda like the fabled OC gun snatch. Yes it has happened, and you surely hear about it when it does, making it sound more prevalent than it is...
With regard to damaged or erased recordings, and prevalent or not, it has happened.

As to the fabled OC gun snatch, to my knowledge, that is a fable.

rmeebix

No, but if you give us a range of dates, we'll schedule something.

If nothing else, we could do a meet, greet, and eat.

There is a national thing going on on[\i] the 8th. I don't know the details because I work that day and won't be participating.

<o>

9th to the 25th