• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help obtaining Pemit in Danbury

Brooks P

Good Evening all,
Wanted to say this is an outstanding site and very glad I found it while researching what I need to do to get my CCW.

I completed my NRA Basic Pistol Course last year (3/2012). I'm trying to get help from someone who's gone through the process in Danbury. Can someone explain in simple terms what steps I need to follow next.

Is my certi still valid or do I need to redo the course?
I thought it was pass course (w/ live fire). Complete registration form at Danbury PD office but there was a question about getting the application notarized?
Do I need to get finger printed first then turn in my temp permit application?
Does anyone know what Danbury policies are bout days of week or time they take permits?

Sorry to ask these basic questions I was at a loss as each website tells me something different and I wasn't able to get a straight answer so far.

Thank you all for you time.

Rich B

Good Evening all,
Wanted to say this is an outstanding site and very glad I found it while researching what I need to do to get my CCW.

I completed my NRA Basic Pistol Course last year (3/2012). I'm trying to get help from someone who's gone through the process in Danbury. Can someone explain in simple terms what steps I need to follow next.

Is my certi still valid or do I need to redo the course?
I thought it was pass course (w/ live fire). Complete registration form at Danbury PD office but there was a question about getting the application notarized?
Do I need to get finger printed first then turn in my temp permit application?
Does anyone know what Danbury policies are bout days of week or time they take permits?

Sorry to ask these basic questions I was at a loss as each website tells me something different and I wasn't able to get a straight answer so far.

Thank you all for you time.

Your certificate never expires.

The instructions for obtaining your permit are on the form: http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/pistol_permits/dps-799-c.pdf

Anything other than what is listed here is probably not lawful. http://ctcarry.com/PermitRequirements/Requirements

There is no 'question' about getting the form authorized. It is clear that the application must be notarized on the application.

You can get fingerprinted anytime. If Danbury gives you an issue, just go get it done elsewhere.

Danbury has to accept your permit at any time. If they don't accept it in person, just mail it via certified mail.

If you have additional questions/issues: permitissues [at] ctcarry.com

motoxmann

edit: when you go to the PD to turn in the app, they may tell you that you need to make an appointment (this is strictly for the fingerprint process, and the "interview" if they do that there), in which case they should give you a contact number to call to set the appointment, or they may just buzz someone down to speak to you in person. every town does it slightly differently, but whatever they tell you listen to what they tell you and determine for yourself if they are doing it in a proper/courteous way or if they are trying to shovel you off

Last edited:

Rich B

for submitting a photo with the app, you can go to any post office and request a passport photo. not submitting a passport app, just getting a passport photo. it's cheap, and is the proper size for what the app requires that you submit. and for the payments/money orders, I suggest using postal money orders, NOT gas station money orders.

It should be noted that there is no need to submit any photographs to the local issuing authority. The DESPP SLFU will take a photo when you go to the state for your permanent permit.

Towns that request photos can be ignored and the permit submitted by certified mail instead.

brk913

typically, the nra instructor is a notary public, and typically you fill out the Application for Temporary Pistol Permit before taking the course. then the NRA instructor signs and notarizes the application once you complete the course, and gives you the certification paper saying you completed the course.
then you just collect your money orders, and go to the PD to submit the app and payments and all docs listed on the form and they will fingerprint you and start the process.

if for some reason you need to fill out a new application, you can usually do so and then call the instructor of the nra course you took and he/she will re-notarize it and re-sign his/her part on the back.

Just to clarify, most instructors are not notaries and do not or cannot notarize your application. You do not need to pick up or fill out the application prior to taking the class. Additionally your instructor does not sign the back of your application you just print his or her name and ID number.

Brooks P

Your certificate never expires.

The instructions for obtaining your permit are on the form: http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/pistol_permits/dps-799-c.pdf

Anything other than what is listed here is probably not lawful. http://ctcarry.com/PermitRequirements/Requirements

There is no 'question' about getting the form authorized. It is clear that the application must be notarized on the application.

You can get fingerprinted anytime. If Danbury gives you an issue, just go get it done elsewhere.

Danbury has to accept your permit at any time. If they don't accept it in person, just mail it via certified mail.

If you have additional questions/issues: permitissues [at] ctcarry.com

This was great information Rich thank you. I stopped at my local PD this morning hoping to drop off my application and had a question which no one was available to answer so instead of waiting on them I'm hoping someone here my know.
The question on the application about Place of Birth only has an option for City/Town/State however I was born aboard in Germany (airforce kid) I have both my US passport and my Certi of Birth ABroad so do i just fill in the oversea's town and country?
and second item
They gave my a piece of paper with their requirements and one of the items which appears not listed in any of the other sites is
Three letters of character references from individuals that you have known for three (3) or more years.

This sounds fishy.

Rich B

The question on the application about Place of Birth only has an option for City/Town/State however I was born aboard in Germany (airforce kid) I have both my US passport and my Certi of Birth ABroad so do i just fill in the oversea's town and country?

This should work fine.

They gave my a piece of paper with their requirements and one of the items which appears not listed in any of the other sites is
Three letters of character references from individuals that you have known for three (3) or more years.

They are not required. The only things they may require are on the actual state application form.

http://ctcarry.com/PermitRequirements/Requirements

Brooks P

I want to thank you all very much for all the extremely helpful links provided in this post for those someone like me who was overwhelmed by this process. I'm extremely excited to turn in my application tomorrow and start this process. While all the info I have points to this being a 2 week process I'm realistic based on reading prior stories this could easily turn into a 6-10 week.
Its very reassuring to know folks around here are extremely helpful and encouraging and i look forward to using this site more and more to continue my knowledge on firearms/safety/and protecting my rights.

keep up the good work for the good fight.