Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petition for an Exception to a Forum Rule

Founder's Club Member

Petition for an Exception to a Forum Rule

The situation today regarding the fedgov activity against all manner of guns is extraordinary.

The forum rule against discussing long-gun open carry was made at a time when some people were OCing long arms on their daily business or advocating it. As compared with discussion and advocacy of long gun OC at 2A rallies where lots of people would be carrying long arms.

May we have an exception to the rule against long arm OC? For example, one thread in each state subforum where long arm OC can be discussed in the context of notifying OCDO members about rallies, organizing protests, and so forth.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Re: Petition for an Exception to a Forum Rule

X___SPOProds____

Signed.

WHY would OCDO have a ban on talking about OC of long guns? "AK's make sheeple nervous so we shouldn't talk about it on a forum full of gun owners."

Dafuq?

Banned
    This site is dedicated to the normalization of OC of handguns. Discussion of OC of long guns is only prohibited because it would create a distraction from that mission, not because the powers that be at this site don't think you should OC long guns.

Anyone want to start LongGunOpenCarry.com?

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    This site is dedicated to the normalization of OC of handguns. Discussion of OC of long guns is only prohibited because it would create a distraction from that mission, not because the powers that be at this site don't think you should OC long guns.

Anyone want to start LongGunOpenCarry.com?
    Good idea.

On this thread, we're asking the owners for a single, specific exception to the long gun rule in light of the current anti-gun political situation.

If anybody agrees, do like SPOProds did and "sign" this petition.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned
    I wasn't disagreeing with your petition. I was just answering shasta's "why?" question.

I don't OC long guns, nor do I have any immediate plans to do so. So, while I won't be signing your petition, I understand it and am not against it--as long as the discussion is limited and does not become a distraction to discussion of handgun OC. However, it is the admins' call.

This forum is full of random crap that doesn't pertain specifically to handgun open carry...so why not allow long gun OC discussions in a forum that's supposed to be about open carrying...? Seems like a dumb rule to begin with to me.

SIGNED

/s/ We-The-People
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Founder's Club Member
    Bump for early morning mods to forward to owners.

Petition for an Exception to a Forum Rule

It may be prudent to focus on handguns. The time for prudence is quickly expiring though.

Signed.

Signed.

In the limited scope of the request, I doubt it would become a distraction to the primary intent or mission of the site.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ADobbs1989 View Post
    This forum is full of random crap that doesn't pertain specifically to handgun open carry...so why not allow long gun OC discussions in a forum that's supposed to be about open carrying...? Seems like a dumb rule to begin with to me.
    OCDO = normalization of holstered handguns in everyday life and state specific info related to RKBA.........within the forum rules.

Promotion of OC of full auto (class III) is not encouraged/promoted - seems like an intelligent rule to me.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-14-2013 at 07:26 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    OCDO = normalization of holstered handguns in everyday life and state specific info related to RKBA.........within the forum rules.

Promotion of OC of full auto (class III) is not encouraged/promoted - seems like an intelligent rule to me.
    Please direct me to the "rule" that states this. Unless of course you just made that rule up, just "now", or it is one of those OCDO "unwritten rules."

(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
    Now, I could advocate that LGOC discussions could be conducted here and not be a violation of the Forum Rules. I could, but I won't because of the below.

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
    The Founders of OCDO were prescient.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Something was lost in poor punctuation.

Translating: restriction of promoting long gun carry is not a dumb rule - it is IMO an intelligent one.

As an aside - OC of Class III is neither encouraged or promoted. Anyone that needs this clarification, now has it.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Signed: PistolPackingMomma

Banned
    GS, I am still confused. The OP is asking for discussion of OC of long guns, not necessarily full-autos. Your reasoning is sound if it is applied to long guns, not full autos.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    GS, I am still confused. The OP is asking for discussion of OC of long guns, not necessarily full-autos. Your reasoning is sound if it is applied to long guns, not full autos.
    Understand.

If it isn't specifically germaine to the site as constructed..............

Founder's Club Member
    Understand.

Ummm. Were you going to contact John and Mike and get their approval/refusal for the very specific and limited exception?

Understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Ummm. Were you going to contact John and Mike and get their approval/refusal for the very specific and limited exception?
    Not today I wasn't, but you may do so if it pleasures you.

Since when does long gun=full auto? Your statement in no way comes to a reasonable conclusion that the rule is intelligent.

In these pressing times

We have more to worry about as 2A supporters then OC of handguns, WE NEED to begin advocacy for general 2A rights as they are under assault with a weapon of the bully pulpit and public support.

In addition the rule is widely ignored already,and long gun OC is already being discussed on forum boards and is not always removed, I can think of several threads to this effect

finally, for 18-20 adults in many states pistol OC is illegal and thus "public policy" requires OC of long guns by certain classes of legal adults.

SIGNED

EMNofSeattle
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Founder's Club Member
    Not today I wasn't, but you may do so if it pleasures you.
    I don't think you understand how petitions work.

You have a genuine, sincere, articulate petition for an exception to a forum rule you are not personally authorized to waive. You are the recipient of the petition and it is completely appropriate for you to use your communication channels to forward it to the owner(s), appending your own comments if desired. Failure to forward it after you know about it is effectively a denial.

I did not PM the owners because I know the owners are absent for extended periods, but I was betting you have faster communication channels like personal e-mail; and because time is short for organizing or attending protests and rallies.

Since when does long gun=full auto? Your statement in no way comes to a reasonable conclusion that the rule is intelligent.
    Long gun does not = full auto. It is however a reasonable extension wherein I would not give my endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I don't think you understand how petitions work.

You have a genuine, sincere, articulate petition for an exception to a forum rule you are not personally authorized to waive. You are the recipient of the petition and it is completely appropriate for you to use your communication channels to forward it to the owner(s), appending your own comments if desired. Failure to forward it after you know about it is effectively a denial.

I did not PM the owners because I know the owners are absent for extended periods, but I was betting you have faster communication channels like personal e-mail; and because time is short for organizing or attending protests and rallies.
    I don't think you understand how the forum works - any post, any post at all, may be reported (pro or con) and is thus forwarded direct to the administration. Believe me, this thread has been seen - you may not however get a direct response.

I do not support the change requested.

Although I would not oc a long gun personally, I would not object to an additional thread regarding long guns. Perhaps place it between Open Carry Questions and True Tales.

Signed

Founder's Club Member
    Long gun does not = full auto. It is however a reasonable extension wherein I would not give my endorsement.

I don't think you understand how the forum works - any post, any post at all, may be reported (pro or con) and is thus forwarded direct to the administration. Believe me, this thread has been seen - you may not however get a direct response.

I do not support the change requested.
    That would be unfortunate. Its one thing to bellyache about an LGOC prohibition, yapping about 1A rights and "how can the forum be really pro-2A" and so forth. Its something else to post a polite, articulate, request for a narrowly tailored exception for extraordinary circumstances.

If the latter were completely ignored, it would cause me to shift policy in support of posters who followed the old rule, "Its better to ask forgiveness than permission."

Oh, by the way, Grape. Well done on the non-sequitur reply. You're really good at it; I admire your consistency. Maybe you can practice sequitur replies for a while.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-15-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast