S. 115

STATUS INFORMATION

General Bill
    Sponsors: Senators Bright and Bryant

Introduced in the Senate on January 8, 2013
    Currently residing in the Senate Committee on Judiciary

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess120_.../bills/115.htm

Cool Permitless Open/Concealed Carry in SC

According to two emails I got from Senators Kevin Bryant and Larry Martin, S. 1408 has been reintroduced as S.115 and is being pushed to go into committee as soon as possible. Remember last year it never made it to committee. Maybe we can get it on the floor this year!!!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LBFD1212 View Post
    According to two emails I got from Senators Kevin Bryant and Larry Martin, S. 1408 has been reintroduced as S.115 and is being pushed to go into committee as soon as possible. Remember last year it never made it to committee. Maybe we can get it on the floor this year!!!
    Cliff notes?
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

Cool SC Permitless Open/Concealed Carry Bill S.115

Just got an email from Senator Kevin Bryant and S.115 has been pre-filed and is in the Judiciary Committee for review.

Maybe we'll get it done this time around!

Anything we can do to help it along and rally support?

Smile

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...tutional-Carry

Someone may consider consolidating the three threads about S.115 into one?

Constitutional Carry preserves the option to get a permit for carry in other states . . . but it will not be required to carry in South Carolina.

But Senate Judiciary Chairman Larry Martin (R-Pickens) assigned our constitutional carry bill to a tough subcommittee.

The subcommittee has five people on it . . .

Two are pro-gun . . .

* Senator Lee Bright (R-Greenville/Spartanburg)

* Senator Shane Martin (R-Spartanburg)

Two are anti-gun . . .

* Senator Gerald Malloy (D-Darlington)

* Senator Brad Hutto (D-Orangeburg)

And one is luke-warm.

The deciding vote on the subcommittee will be Senator Greg Hembree (R-Horry).

Inside sources in the Senate tell me they doubt Senator Hembree will be very gun friendly.

When I called fellow gun advocates in Horry County, they told me the same thing.

Greg Hembree's gun rights credentials are questionable at best.

This article forwarded from Palmetto Gun Rights........

The fact is we just don't know where he will stand.
    He has been asked . . . and he has not yet responded.
    You know what that usually means! If he doesn't want to go on the record, then he's waiting to see which way the wind is blowing!
    I need you to contact Hembree and help him understand how the wind blows for gun rights in South Carolina!

Running concurrently in the same judiciary subcomittee is S 85 providing for 10th Amendment states rights control over firearms, firearms accessories, and ammunition

Tell him you want S 115, Constitutional Carry, and S 85 10th Amendment rights, passed out of his subcommittee as is, with no amendments.

Each needs to be passed out of subcomittee without amendment to a second reading on the floor. We can't afford for it to be weakened or delayed with amendments.

They need to pass as they are written.

Contact Senator Hembree RIGHT NOW at (803) 212-6016 or at GregHembree@scsenate.gov.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...tutional-Carry

Someone may consider consolidating the three threads about S.115 into one?
    Done and good luck with this.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

If I'm reading it correctly, this will include non-residents as well?
    States don’t have rights. People do.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    If I'm reading it correctly, this will include non-residents as well?
    Looks like it to me. This would be a huge step forward for SC. No more permit requirement, open carry allowed, and non-residents would also not be shut out if they weren't a resident of a reciprocal state.

Updates?

Updates anybody?

All bills are in either the House or Senate Judiciary Comittee and we await schedules.

Update on S115 Constitutional Carry

I got this email from Senator Greg Hembree last night:

On the state level the South Carolina Senate is considering a number of bills relating to firearms. I have co-sponsored a bill to expand our rights to carry a firearm with a concealed weapons permit. I am also on the sub-committee that is considering two other gun related bills including State Senate bill S. 115.

To date our sub-committee chairman Senator Lee Bright has not scheduled a subcommittee meeting for us to discuss and take action on the bill, however he has scheduled four public hearings throughout the state to allow the citizens of South Carolina to voice their feelings on the issue.

The dates and locations for the public hearings are:
    February 25th in N. Charleston,
    March 4th in Rock Hill,
    March 11th in Greenville and
    March 18th in Myrtle Beach.

Hopefully you can attend one of these public hearings.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-12-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Formatting

Best wishes on it's passage, wish we were fighting the same fight to protect our open carry right and do away with the privilege card. Some here believe foolishly that privilege cards are 2nd amendment.
    INAL but best legal advice from a non lawyer is "Talk to a lawyer".

From what I have seen from Lee Bright's FB posts, he is Pro..I'm surprised there hasn't been some movement already.
    States don’t have rights. People do.

Sub Committee reminder

Monday, February 25, 2013
    7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
    North Charleston City Hall
    Third Floor, Council Chambers
    2500 City Hall Lane
    North Charleston, S.C. 29406
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-25-2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: DT deleted

Reminder:

Monday, March 4, 2013
    York Technical College
    Baxter Hood Center, Barnes Theater
    452 S. Anderson Road
    Rock Hill, S.C. 29730

The same deal as before. If you want to speak, show up early and sign up.

REMINDER

Monday, March 11, 2013
    Greenville County Council Chambers
    301 University Ridge
    Greenville, S.C. 29601
    Use entrance by flag pole, Chambers on right

There will be a sign in sheet outside or just inside the chambers. On it, you will need to include your information and check off whether you would like to speak. There will be an additional check off to be added to the contact list. Once the hearing begins, the Chairman will begin calling people forward to speak. Speakers will be called in the order of the sign in sheet. Please do not walk up to the microphone before being called forward. We also do not sign up speakers prior to the event.

Depending on the number of people that would like to provide testimony, there may be a limited amount of time for each speaker. You are welcome to provide written testimony to the subcommittee, but please bring at least six copies for the members and staff.

Please be aware that we are renting these facilities for the evening, and their staff will not be able to answer questions regarding these public hearings. If you have questions regarding the email notifications or meeting details, please contact me. If you have questions regarding the subject matter of S.115, please contact J. J. Gentry at 803-212-6306 or jjgentry@scsenate.gov.

By my count, there were almost 300 people at this meeting and 28 speakers. (I might have missed a couple) They ran out of time not everyone who signed up got a chance to talk.

1 lady was a ranting disaster. She needed medication.

2 were clearly anti-gun, although they "supported the second amendment".

1 was an older retired teacher who seemed confused about rights. Perhaps she only taught English.

1 young lady was there to talk about the wrong bill and wanted her representatives to talk to her on Twitter. She got a civics lesson.

1 was a weepy, tearful teacher who wouldn't stop preaching about sandy hook. Because the killer would have thought twice about killing kids, if only there had been a law.

1 was with organized anti-gun. I didn't catch the name, but it was something like mothers against guns or some nonsense. She was angry and very creative with statistics.

Of all the pro-gun talk, the recurring theme of some was who will train all the Tom, Dick and Harry's who will now be carrying. What the hell has happened to people. They talk about rights, and in the next breath, talk about getting government sponsored training to get permission for that right. Who trains people in the 28 unlicensed open carry states?

I'd say about 10 of the speakers had it right.

SECTION 20. Right to keep and bear arms; armies; military power subordinate to civil authority; how soldiers quartered.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. As, in times of peace, armies are dangerous to liberty, they shall not be maintained without the consent of the General Assembly. The military power of the State shall always be held in subordination to the civil authority and be governed by it. No soldier shall in time of peace be quartered in any house without the consent of the owner nor in time of war but in the manner prescribed by law. (1970 (56) 2684; 1971 (57) 315.)

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/scconstitution/a01.php
    A mere reference to the above would have been followed by a question to be considered. Who amongst the learned panel before this assembly of the citizenry define the above as permitting the state government to "regulate" a right that all law abiding South Carolinians are born with?

10 out of 28 is not bad. Especially when the anti crowd were likely fewer in number.

SECTION 25 Hunting and fishing.

The traditions of hunting and fishing are valuable parts of the state's heritage, important for conservation, and a protected means of managing nonthreatened wildlife. The citizens of this State have the right to hunt, fish, and harvest wildlife traditionally pursued, subject to laws and regulations promoting sound wildlife conservation and management as prescribed by the General Assembly. Nothing in this section shall be construed to abrogate any private property rights, existing state laws or regulations, or the state's sovereignty over its natural resources.
    Don't forget this little gem of a right way down at the bottom of the page and how "regulating guns" will impact this right also.

Thanks, John, for keeping the displaced informed and up to date.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

New reminder. Details here ---> http://scgunblog.com/?no_redirect=true

As previously notified, S. 115 has been scheduled for a subcommittee meeting on Wednesday, March 20, 2013, at 11:00 a.m., in room 105 of the Gressette Building. The subcommittee is expecting a large audience and the meeting room has limited seating capacity. Due to other meetings taking place at the same time, the subcommittee will not be able to provide an overflow room. As a result, the subcommittee has decided to broadcast the meeting live via the internet.

To watch the broadcast:

1. Go to www.scstatehouse.gov.
    2. Locate the “Senate Meeting Schedule” on the right side of the screen.
    3. Scroll down to the 11:00 a.m. time period and locate the “Judiciary Subcommittee on S. 115”.
    4. Click on the “Live Broadcast” link.

Once the meeting is over, everyone will be able to view the meeting online at a later date once our legislative website team has time to reformat the video recording. Once reformatted, it will be found through the following steps:

1. Go to www.scstatehouse.gov.
    2. Locate the “Archives” link on the left side of the screen in blue.
    3. Locate and click on the “Committee Video Archives”.
    4. Locate the recording for the Wednesday, March 20 recording at 11:00 a.m. of the Subcommittee on S.115 on the right side of the screen. Simply click on the title and it will begin playing on the left side of the screen.

Our legislative website office will get the video up as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Mae Wilson

S 115 may be one step closer. Details here --> http://www.scgunblog.com/Home_Page.html

Get the latest here --> http://www.scgunblog.com/Home_Page.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast