• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S.115 Constitutional Carry

LBFD1212

Permitless Open/Concealed Carry in SC

According to two emails I got from Senators Kevin Bryant and Larry Martin, S. 1408 has been reintroduced as S.115 and is being pushed to go into committee as soon as possible. Remember last year it never made it to committee. Maybe we can get it on the floor this year!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
According to two emails I got from Senators Kevin Bryant and Larry Martin, S. 1408 has been reintroduced as S.115 and is being pushed to go into committee as soon as possible. Remember last year it never made it to committee. Maybe we can get it on the floor this year!!!

Cliff notes?

LBFD1212

SC Permitless Open/Concealed Carry Bill S.115

Just got an email from Senator Kevin Bryant and S.115 has been pre-filed and is in the Judiciary Committee for review.

John Canuck

Constitutional Carry preserves the option to get a permit for carry in other states . . . but it will not be required to carry in South Carolina.

But Senate Judiciary Chairman Larry Martin (R-Pickens) assigned our constitutional carry bill to a tough subcommittee.

The subcommittee has five people on it . . .

Two are pro-gun . . .

* Senator Lee Bright (R-Greenville/Spartanburg)

* Senator Shane Martin (R-Spartanburg)

Two are anti-gun . . .

* Senator Gerald Malloy (D-Darlington)

* Senator Brad Hutto (D-Orangeburg)

And one is luke-warm.

The deciding vote on the subcommittee will be Senator Greg Hembree (R-Horry).

Inside sources in the Senate tell me they doubt Senator Hembree will be very gun friendly.

When I called fellow gun advocates in Horry County, they told me the same thing.

Greg Hembree's gun rights credentials are questionable at best.

This article forwarded from Palmetto Gun Rights........

The fact is we just don't know where he will stand.
He has been asked . . . and he has not yet responded.
You know what that usually means! If he doesn't want to go on the record, then he's waiting to see which way the wind is blowing!
I need you to contact Hembree and help him understand how the wind blows for gun rights in South Carolina!

Running concurrently in the same judiciary subcomittee is S 85 providing for 10th Amendment states rights control over firearms, firearms accessories, and ammunition

Tell him you want S 115, Constitutional Carry, and S 85 10th Amendment rights, passed out of his subcommittee as is, with no amendments.

Each needs to be passed out of subcomittee without amendment to a second reading on the floor. We can't afford for it to be weakened or delayed with amendments.

They need to pass as they are written.

Contact Senator Hembree RIGHT NOW at (803) 212-6016 or at GregHembree@scsenate.gov.

LBFD1212

Update on S115 Constitutional Carry

I got this email from Senator Greg Hembree last night:

On the state level the South Carolina Senate is considering a number of bills relating to firearms. I have co-sponsored a bill to expand our rights to carry a firearm with a concealed weapons permit. I am also on the sub-committee that is considering two other gun related bills including State Senate bill S. 115.

To date our sub-committee chairman Senator Lee Bright has not scheduled a subcommittee meeting for us to discuss and take action on the bill, however he has scheduled four public hearings throughout the state to allow the citizens of South Carolina to voice their feelings on the issue.

The dates and locations for the public hearings are:
February 25th in N. Charleston,
March 4th in Rock Hill,
March 11th in Greenville and
March 18th in Myrtle Beach.

Hopefully you can attend one of these public hearings.

Last edited by a moderator:

WalkingWolf

Best wishes on it's passage, wish we were fighting the same fight to protect our open carry right and do away with the privilege card. Some here believe foolishly that privilege cards are 2nd amendment.

John Canuck

Sub Committee reminder

Monday, February 25, 2013
7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
North Charleston City Hall
Third Floor, Council Chambers
2500 City Hall Lane
North Charleston, S.C. 29406

Last edited by a moderator:

John Canuck

Reminder:

Monday, March 4, 2013
York Technical College
Baxter Hood Center, Barnes Theater
452 S. Anderson Road
Rock Hill, S.C. 29730

The same deal as before. If you want to speak, show up early and sign up.

John Canuck

REMINDER

Monday, March 11, 2013
Greenville County Council Chambers
301 University Ridge
Greenville, S.C. 29601
Use entrance by flag pole, Chambers on right

There will be a sign in sheet outside or just inside the chambers. On it, you will need to include your information and check off whether you would like to speak. There will be an additional check off to be added to the contact list. Once the hearing begins, the Chairman will begin calling people forward to speak. Speakers will be called in the order of the sign in sheet. Please do not walk up to the microphone before being called forward. We also do not sign up speakers prior to the event.

Depending on the number of people that would like to provide testimony, there may be a limited amount of time for each speaker. You are welcome to provide written testimony to the subcommittee, but please bring at least six copies for the members and staff.

Please be aware that we are renting these facilities for the evening, and their staff will not be able to answer questions regarding these public hearings. If you have questions regarding the email notifications or meeting details, please contact me. If you have questions regarding the subject matter of S.115, please contact J. J. Gentry at 803-212-6306 or jjgentry@scsenate.gov.

John Canuck

By my count, there were almost 300 people at this meeting and 28 speakers. (I might have missed a couple) They ran out of time not everyone who signed up got a chance to talk.

1 lady was a ranting disaster. She needed medication.

2 were clearly anti-gun, although they "supported the second amendment".

1 was an older retired teacher who seemed confused about rights. Perhaps she only taught English.

1 young lady was there to talk about the wrong bill and wanted her representatives to talk to her on Twitter. She got a civics lesson.

1 was a weepy, tearful teacher who wouldn't stop preaching about sandy hook. Because the killer would have thought twice about killing kids, if only there had been a law.

1 was with organized anti-gun. I didn't catch the name, but it was something like mothers against guns or some nonsense. She was angry and very creative with statistics.

Of all the pro-gun talk, the recurring theme of some was who will train all the Tom, Dick and Harry's who will now be carrying. What the hell has happened to people. They talk about rights, and in the next breath, talk about getting government sponsored training to get permission for that right. Who trains people in the 28 unlicensed open carry states?

I'd say about 10 of the speakers had it right.