Thread: Purchase Permits & CPL's no longer required at gun stores for handgun purchase.

Purchase Permits & CPL's no longer required at gun stores for handgun purchase.

I saw a sign at Action Impact (8mile & Beech Daly) when I went to get my Ruger LCP last week, that said

"Effective Dec 28th 2012, you will no longer need a Pistol Purchase Permit or CPL for purchases. All background checks are done instantly in-store".

Which I thought was pretty cool. Not sure if this is everywhere, or just AI, but it sure makes it easier for some people to buy!

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    it's the law, so yeah, it's everywhere.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Re: Purchase Permits & CPL's no longer required at gun stores for handgun purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    it's the law, so yeah, it's everywhere.
    It is possible that different cities would have a different law about it.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2
    Molon Labe

[+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post

It's a state law so preemption is in place.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    I saw a sign at Action Impact (8mile & Beech Daly) when I went to get my Ruger LCP last week, that said

"Effective Dec 28th 2012, you will no longer need a Pistol Purchase Permit or CPL for purchases. All background checks are done instantly in-store".

Which I thought was pretty cool. Not sure if this is everywhere, or just AI, but it sure makes it easier for some people to buy!
    You need a permit for private sales, if you don't have a CPL, so it's a bit misleading.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

no it's not

Not sure if this is everywhere
    Yes, it was part of HB 5225.

HB 5225 eliminated the need to obtain a purchase permit for firearms purchased from an FFL. Purchase permits are also now good for 30 days. The ten question pistol safety exam requirement has also been eliminated. Furthermore, purchasers can now apply for a purchase permit at any law enforcement agency rather than only where the applicant resides.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

bought mine on the 4th iirc... walked in the gun shop with cash and walked out with pistol in hand 10 minutes later. background check done on site and you simply have to take two registeration papers to the local PD within so few days.

yes, you can drop it off in person or mail it.

Quote Originally Posted by HowLongCanIMakeMyUsername View Post
    bought mine on the 4th iirc... walked in the gun shop with cash and walked out with pistol in hand 10 minutes later. background check done on site and you simply have to take two registeration papers to the local PD within so few days.
    It should be only 1 part returned to local PD. The MSP copy.

Re: Purchase Permits & CPL's no longer required at gun stores for handgun purchase.

Can someone post a cite / link to the law so hopefully others can read it? Thanks in advance from those who have not taken their GoogleFU classes yet.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Hello Free-in-Az ~

I cannot give you a proper cite but can tell you what I learned today.

After reading this thread last night I called the Missaukee County Sheriff's office this morning and spoke to a sheriff's deputy.

Good news to follow:

Individuals without a CPL no longer need to request "permission" from your County Sheriff to purchase a pistol.

You no longer need to pass a written "safety test" to purchase a pistol.

To purchase a pistol from a FFL dealer, go there, pick out what suits you and the dealer will run your info through the FBI background check, which only takes a few minutes.

Following that you pay for your pistol and the dealer will give you some important paperwork. From there you take the paperwork to your county sheriff's office, either in person or you can simply mail it in. There's no longer a need for a notary either. All of this is a "win" for freedom/liberty's sake for the citizenry of Michigan.

Hope this is of help to you and others.

Take care now.

Respectfully,
    Billy

-ex U.S. Naval Special Warfare operator (disabled, combat veteran)
    "Salvation is of the LORD." -Jonah ii. 9c [AV]

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth My word, and
    believeth on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life, and shall
    not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."

---Jesus Christ the LORD, sent by the Father to effectually & fully SAVE poor,
    needy, wretched sinners by His own sovereign free grace and by His perfect
    righteousness charged to our accounts! (John v. 24, KJV)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Individuals without a CPL no longer need to request "permission" from your County Sheriff to purchase a pistol.
    This only applies to FFL sales. If you purchase from a private party you still need a pistol purchase permit. However, now you can get them from any LEO organization. You are no longer required to get them from "your" local cop shop.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Thanks guys for the added detail. I will pass it along to my family in MI. This is indeed good news.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Moderator / Administrator
    Anybody have a news report or other link summarizing the legislative changes to pistol purchase laws in Michigan?

There's a fix coming to this law. Something about FFL #2 and 7 dealers need to get a PP for any pistol they receive into their inventory because how 5225 was written? (Oops)
    Last edited by TheQ; 01-16-2013 at 10:20 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

HB 5225 isn't all the pistol legislation. There's also SB 760, 761, and 762 which dealt with "Michigan pistols."

A summary of all firearms legislation in Michigan in 2012 can be found in the Michigan Open Carry Jan 2013 newsletter available online.
    Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    HB 5225 isn't all the pistol legislation. There's also SB 760, 761, and 762 which dealt with "Michigan pistols."

A summary of all firearms legislation in Michigan in 2012 can be found in the Michigan Open Carry Jan 2013 newsletter available online.
    Link? How to subscribe?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Wheels