• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Purchase Permits & CPL's no longer required at gun stores for handgun purchase.

MikeTheGreek

I saw a sign at Action Impact (8mile & Beech Daly) when I went to get my Ruger LCP last week, that said

"Effective Dec 28th 2012, you will no longer need a Pistol Purchase Permit or CPL for purchases. All background checks are done instantly in-store".

Which I thought was pretty cool. Not sure if this is everywhere, or just AI, but it sure makes it easier for some people to buy! :)

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I saw a sign at Action Impact (8mile & Beech Daly) when I went to get my Ruger LCP last week, that said

"Effective Dec 28th 2012, you will no longer need a Pistol Purchase Permit or CPL for purchases. All background checks are done instantly in-store".

Which I thought was pretty cool. Not sure if this is everywhere, or just AI, but it sure makes it easier for some people to buy! :)

You need a permit for private sales, if you don't have a CPL, so it's a bit misleading.

griffin

Not sure if this is everywhere

Yes, it was part of HB 5225.

HB 5225 eliminated the need to obtain a purchase permit for firearms purchased from an FFL. Purchase permits are also now good for 30 days. The ten question pistol safety exam requirement has also been eliminated. Furthermore, purchasers can now apply for a purchase permit at any law enforcement agency rather than only where the applicant resides.

bought mine on the 4th iirc... walked in the gun shop with cash and walked out with pistol in hand 10 minutes later. background check done on site and you simply have to take two registeration papers to the local PD within so few days.

maustin195

bought mine on the 4th iirc... walked in the gun shop with cash and walked out with pistol in hand 10 minutes later. background check done on site and you simply have to take two registeration papers to the local PD within so few days.

It should be only 1 part returned to local PD. The MSP copy.

FreeInAZ

Re: Purchase Permits & CPL's no longer required at gun stores for handgun purchase.

Can someone post a cite / link to the law so hopefully others can read it? Thanks in advance from those who have not taken their GoogleFU classes yet. :p

Billy

Hello Free-in-Az ~

I cannot give you a proper cite but can tell you what I learned today.

After reading this thread last night I called the Missaukee County Sheriff's office this morning and spoke to a sheriff's deputy.

Good news to follow:

Individuals without a CPL no longer need to request "permission" from your County Sheriff to purchase a pistol.

You no longer need to pass a written "safety test" to purchase a pistol.

To purchase a pistol from a FFL dealer, go there, pick out what suits you and the dealer will run your info through the FBI background check, which only takes a few minutes.

Following that you pay for your pistol and the dealer will give you some important paperwork. From there you take the paperwork to your county sheriff's office, either in person or you can simply mail it in. There's no longer a need for a notary either. All of this is a "win" for freedom/liberty's sake for the citizenry of Michigan.

Hope this is of help to you and others.

Take care now.

Respectfully,
Billy

-ex U.S. Naval Special Warfare operator (disabled, combat veteran)

griffin

Individuals without a CPL no longer need to request "permission" from your County Sheriff to purchase a pistol.

This only applies to FFL sales. If you purchase from a private party you still need a pistol purchase permit. However, now you can get them from any LEO organization. You are no longer required to get them from "your" local cop shop.

FreeInAZ

Re: Purchase Permits & CPL's no longer required at gun stores for handgun purchase.

Thanks guys for the added detail. I will pass it along to my family in MI. This is indeed good news. :D

TheQ

There's a fix coming to this law. Something about FFL #2 and 7 dealers need to get a PP for any pistol they receive into their inventory because how 5225 was written? (Oops)

Last edited:

griffin

HB 5225 isn't all the pistol legislation. There's also SB 760, 761, and 762 which dealt with "Michigan pistols."

A summary of all firearms legislation in Michigan in 2012 can be found in the Michigan Open Carry Jan 2013 newsletter available online.

TheQ

HB 5225 isn't all the pistol legislation. There's also SB 760, 761, and 762 which dealt with "Michigan pistols."

A summary of all firearms legislation in Michigan in 2012 can be found in the Michigan Open Carry Jan 2013 newsletter available online.

Link? How to subscribe?