• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCDL demonizing guns?

sharkey

Maybe CCDL should join the NCSTGB

‘NATIONAL COALITION TO STOP THE GUN BAN’
That is why GRNC, in conjunction with other groups, has formed a national coalition to defeat the Obama/Biden/Feinstein proposal.

• 19 state and federal organizations have so far joined the “National Coalition to Stop the Gun Ban,” including all of the groups listed below;
  • The objective of the coalition is to kill the proposals. Period. Not to “compromise” by saddling gun owners with restrictions and whining “It was the best we could get.” Nothing less than the death of the Obama/Biden/Feinstein proposals will suffice;
  • All coalition members have agreed that “compromise” is not an option; AND
  • Coalition members launched with a coordinated “Open Letter to Members of Congress” which is listed at the bottom of this alert, and with coordinated press releases and membership alerts.
COALITION MEMBERS
National organizations: The Firearms Coalition, Gun Owners of America, Rights Watch International, USRKBA.org
State organizations: Arizona Citizens Defense League, Arkansas Carry, Florida Carry, Inc., Grass Roots North Carolina, Gun Owners of Maine, Gun Owners of Vermont, Michigan Gun Owners, The Minnesota Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance, Montana Shooting Sports Association, New Hampshire Firearms Coalition, Nebraska Firearms Owners Association, Oregon Firearms Federation, Virginia Citizens Defense League, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

motoxmann

‘NATIONAL COALITION TO STOP THE GUN BAN’
That is why GRNC, in conjunction with other groups, has formed a national coalition to defeat the Obama/Biden/Feinstein proposal.

• 19 state and federal organizations have so far joined the “National Coalition to Stop the Gun Ban,” including all of the groups listed below;
  • The objective of the coalition is to kill the proposals. Period. Not to “compromise” by saddling gun owners with restrictions and whining “It was the best we could get.” Nothing less than the death of the Obama/Biden/Feinstein proposals will suffice;
  • All coalition members have agreed that “compromise” is not an option; AND
  • Coalition members launched with a coordinated “Open Letter to Members of Congress” which is listed at the bottom of this alert, and with coordinated press releases and membership alerts.
COALITION MEMBERS
National organizations: The Firearms Coalition, Gun Owners of America, Rights Watch International, USRKBA.org
State organizations: Arizona Citizens Defense League, Arkansas Carry, Florida Carry, Inc., Grass Roots North Carolina, Gun Owners of Maine, Gun Owners of Vermont, Michigan Gun Owners, The Minnesota Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance, Montana Shooting Sports Association, New Hampshire Firearms Coalition, Nebraska Firearms Owners Association, Oregon Firearms Federation, Virginia Citizens Defense League, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Rich, would CT Carry be willing to join this?

Rich B

Rich, would CT Carry be willing to join this?

This is something we would have to discuss with the board of directors, but my feeling on it is that we are a state-level organization and I am not sure what real support or meaning we could lend to a national coalition like this. Our resources in Connecticut are pretty limited and we are bound to be on the front lines for a long time here.

I don't see any of the premises or principles that I disagree with, nor do I see them at odds with our mission statement. We have always been 'no compromise'. I believe that our record last session confirms this:

http://ctcarry.com/Legislative/Session2012

The groups involved in the coalition have been in communication with us previously (not regarding this subject though) and know how to reach us if they think we can lend assistance in some way. We are very realistic about our support and our resources though.

Riverdance

Definitely a plus. Affiliation with our pro-gun coalition will hopefully help educate CCDL to avoid being duped in the future into supporting anti-gun legislation like HB 5269

Last edited:

Riverdance

HB 5269 has a Virginia Cousin

Delegate Lingamfelter of the Virginia House of Delegates is patroning HB 2235, which mirrors the anti-gun Connecticut HB 5269 that CCDL is supporting, in that it increases penalties for crimes when a gun is used versus other tools. Lingamfelter and I served together in the 1st Infantry Division years ago, and he is generally very good on guns, and in fact we support his other legislation.

But VCDL doesn't give him a pass just because we like him or he's USUALLY pro-gun. We're going after him for demonizing guns in this instance. Here is the posting to our 2013 legislative tool by the VCDL President on this bill to villainize guns:

"OPPOSE: HB 2235, Delegate Lingamfelter, increases the penalties for using a gun in a crime. This is a “feel good” measure that will not make anyone any safer and it, yet again, villainizes guns. What this bill says is that the penalty for a crime should be determined by the tool the criminal uses. So, if a criminal uses a knife to murder someone, that’s not a big deal. But if they use a gun to murder the same person, then we’re really going to go after them! Why don’t we go after them equally anytime they commit a murder or other violent crime? Dead is dead and murder is murder, irrespective of the tool the murderer uses."

Gun control activists and prohibitionists won't be cheering on VCDL as they will CCDL for supporting anti-gun legislation.

motoxmann

205870_446760375393593_1065555938_n.jpg

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Not every pro-gun group supports only pro-gun legislation.

They invariably have to support some gun control laws or they'll be seen as being on the fringe ...

But my group does not ... me & my cat ... my cat hates gun control, any type of gun control (my cat even thinks that crazy people should be able to own guns, as long as they don't shoot cats -- go figure).

For example: you see none of the groups in CT asking for the safety training need for a permit to be abolished, although courts around the country have been pointing in this direction or that it is up to the government to prove on their own that one is not eligible for a permit (right now, the onus is upon the citizen to prove that he is OK). Why? because they think they need to be "respectable" in the eyes of the government...

The NRA is the same ...

All pro-gun groups are actually gun control groups as well...they just do not recognize it.

Riverdance

Huh?

If CCDL supports the notion that any crime is worse if a gun is used vs. another weapon

(HB-5269 AN ACT INCREASING THE PENALTY FOR CRIMINAL USE OF A FIREARM OR ELECTRONIC DEFENSE WEAPON. Official position: Support)

How can they logically oppose the gun control corollary of restricting those evil guns"

(SB-122 AN ACT CONCERNING RESTRICTIONS ON GUN USE. Official position: Oppose)

The official CCDL positions seem to be in conflict with each other. If they really think guns are bad, why not restrict them?

davidmcbeth

Banned
The original Heller case talked about excessive penalties regarding firearms .. I think that supporting extra more more severe penalties should be held off until the SCOTUS rules further on their penalty concerns.

Don't worry, these types of bills will be brought up again.

So I would oppose the bill at this time.

Riverdance

CCDL DID join our coalition.

Here is the entire membership:
National Organizations:

The Firearms Coalition
Jeff Knox, Managing Director
Chris Knox, Director of Communications

Gun Owners of America
Larry D. Pratt, Executive Director

Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership
Charles Heller, President

Rights Watch International
F. Paul Valone, Executive Director

Second Amendment Sisters
Marinelle Thompson, President
Lee Ann Tarducci, Director of Operations

USRKBA.org
Dave Yates, Co-founder
Dave Van, Co-Founder

State-level organizations:

Arizona Citizens Defense League
Dave Kopp, President

Arkansas Carry
Steve Jones, Chairman

BamaCarry
Eddie Fulmer, Spokesman

Connecticut Citizens Defense League, Inc
Scott Wilson, Sr., President

Damas de la Segunda Enmienda
(Ladies of the Second Amendment, Puerto Rico)
Sandra R Barreras, Executive Vice President

Firearms Owners Against Crime
Kim Stolfer, Chairman

Florida Carry, Inc.
Sean Caranna, Executive Director
Richard Nascak, Executive Director

Grass Roots North Carolina
F. Paul Valone, President

Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance, Minnesota
Joe Olson, President

Gun Owners of California
Sam Paredes, Executive Director