• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Branford Police Captain misleads Channel 8 reporter

Edward Peruta

NEWS FLASH
January 14, , 2013

In a published news report by WTNH reporter Jacquie Slater, Branford Police Captain Geoffrey Morgan is quoted as saying:

"Because of the influx in applications,
and the backlog with the FBI, it's probably gone up to more like 10 to 12 weeks for an application process," Captain Morgan said.

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_haven_cty/gun-permit-requests-on-the-rise-in-ct#.UPRRvm9EHzg

Fingerprint based National Criminal Records Checks are submitted to the FBI through the Connecticut State Police Bureau of Identification (SPBI) which scans the fingerprint cards directly to the FBI who in turn return the results to SPBI and the requesting agency within days if not hours.
Local issuing authorities historically delay the approval process for Permits to Carry Pistols or Revolvers and blame the the delay on a non existent FBI backlog.

This is just another example of incorrect information finding it's way into the public sector through inaccurate statements made to members of the media who are clueless as to the provisions of Connecticut Firearm laws.
I challenge WTNH to contact the FBI and verify any backlogs regarding Federal Criminal History Records Checks for Pistol Permits in CT.​

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
[/FONT]I challenge WTNH to contact the FBI and verify any backlogs regarding Federal Criminal History Records Checks for Pistol Permits in CT.[/LEFT]

I don't think that the challenge will be accepted. ;)That doesn't make good news for them.

Keep on trying Ed ... its good to show incorrect information is being repeated by the authorities..

Shawn Mitola

I'll make a call. My wife and I have a friend in the news room at Channel 8. I'll see if she can get this call made...