• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Response From Congressman Rob Wittman

Stafford_1911

January 14, 2013

Dear Mr. A:

Thank you for contacting me in regards to your support for the Second Amendment and gun rights. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I value your views on the important issues facing our Commonwealth and the Nation.

As a gun owner and strong supporter of Second Amendment rights, I believe that the constitutional right to keep and bear arms must be diligently protected. Additionally, I do not support a national gun registry. Such a registry would only put an unnecessary mandate on law-abiding citizens. Gun registration and owner licensing do not help police solve crime as criminals do not register their guns or get licenses.

Moreover, I believe the right to keep and bear arms is an individually possessed right, as are all rights protected in our Constitution. The Founding Fathers, the Framers of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights could not have been clearer about the nature of the right and the purpose of the Second Amendment. The U.S. Supreme Court has recognized it as an individual right in several landmark cases.

Rest assured that I am committed to preserving the right of all law-abiding individuals to purchase, possess and use firearms for legitimate purposes. I will continue to defend this sacred right guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution as a member of the House of Representatives in the 112th Congress.

Thank you again for sharing your views and opinions with me. I am committed to serving you to the best of my abilities. If I can ever be of assistance to you or your family, please do not hesitate to call me at (202) 225-4261 or contact me online at: www.wittman.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Robert Wittman
Member of Congress

RJW/cc

Stafford_1911

Just for context, would you mind posting the letter you sent?

This is a draft of what I sent. I don’t have the email since I submitted it directly to his site: https://forms.house.gov/wittman/webforms/webforms/issue_subscribe.htm

It has come to my attention that some in the Republican Party leadership may agree to certain gun control to "seem reasonable”.

As a constituent I expect you to protect my right to keep and bear arms. Reject ALL gun control, including, but not limited to:

* Gun bans of any sort
* Bans on magazines or other gun accessories
* Taxes on ammunition
* Background checks on private sales of firearms
* Restrictions on purchase, transfer, carry, discharge, or storage of firearms
* Restrictions, burdens, or additional requirements on firearms dealers, gun shows, hunt clubs or firing ranges
* Creation of any more "gun-free zones" (we need to eliminate all such existing zones)

I will be watching your votes on gun control carefully and you will lose my support if you support any more gun control.

aviaator

Glad to see Rob's changing his tune. This is the washy-washy response I got back on 12/21/12:

Dear Mr. K:

Thank you for contacting me in regards to the tragic incident at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I value your views on the important issues facing our Commonwealth and the Nation.

As both a father and a grandfather, I was horrified to watch the unspeakable evil unfold at Sandy Hook Elementary. I cannot begin to imagine the anguish of the parents who lost their precious children. That is why I joined with all my colleagues in the House of Representatives to unanimously pass H. Res. 833, which condemned the horrific attacks in Newtown, Connecticut, and expressed support and prayers for all those impacted by the tragedy.

I am committed to working with my colleagues in the House of Representatives to prevent similar acts of evil in the future, while preserving the right of all law-abiding individuals to purchase, possess and use firearms for legitimate purposes. Make no mistake, as a father and the spouse of an elementary school teacher I believe our nation can and must do more to protect our schools and children.

Thank you again for sharing your views and opinions with me. I am committed to serving you to the best of my abilities. If I can ever be of assistance to you or your family, please do not hesitate to call me at (202) 225-4261 or contact me online at: www.wittman.house.gov.