• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defence Distributed Demonstrates 3D Printed "High Capacity" AR15 Magazine on youtube

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Defence Distributed Demonstrates 3D Printed "High Capacity" AR15 Magazine on youtube

Technology is making the desire to keep detachable magazines out of the hands of rampage shooters an impossibility. It has always been possible for people to make magazines of more than 10 rounds in home workshops. Magazines for AR15 rifles were made in jungle workshops by the Viet Cong. But in today's digital society, especially among young, hip, technologically advanced adults, nothing catches the attention like the ability to print working magazines for modern rifles by pressing a button on a 3D printer.

Defence distributed has now released digital files that enable people to print magazines for their AR15 rifle at home on their own 3D printer. Printing magazines is far easier than printing entire rifles; magazines are, in effect, only a box with a spring, and 3D printers make getting the dimensions correct as easy as pressing a button.

In the video, the magazine is demonstrated not only firing on semi-auto, but also on fully auto.

Have you decided that we must now have 3D printer control? That is rather difficult, as many of the latest at home 3D printers are capable of duplicating themselves. They are currently available for less than $1000, and the price is dropping.

If your buddy needs a 3D printer, it may take a week or so to print and assemble his, but it can be done without ordering it from a retail store or off of the net.

It appears that magazine control now makes less sense than outlawing kitchen knives.

Demonstration Video Link

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2013/01/defence-distributed-demonstrates-3d.html

ccwinstructor

Centurion
I read somewhere that the "ink" price for a magazine would be $10 or so.

It is not the price of the printer, it is the INK on this puppy.

The "ink" price varies with the printer technology used, no doubt. I recall reading somewhere that the price for the ink for a magazine would be in the range of $10.

Last edited:

klaiviel

This is an awesome find. I am already familiar with Defense Distributed, as I am friends with HaveBlue from Milwaukee who created the 3D printed AR lower, but this is a new release. I actually run a 3d printing business right now and I can tell you that our cost for filament in FDM type printers breaks down to about 6.4 cents per cm^3. The feedstock for the SLA printer that they used is more expensive but a well tuned FDM printer should be able to make one functionally the same. I will let you know how it goes, as I am going to start making these. Cost per magazine in plastic should be $5.43