• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Charlotte municode

daveden

Was going over one of the many helpful links i've found on this forum and keep getting confused by the excellently worded laws ;). Anyone have any thoughts on this excerpt from the charlotte municode:

Sec. 15-14. - Possession of dangerous weapons.permanent link to this piece of content

(a)

For the purposes of this section, the term "dangerous weapon" shall be defined as any object or device designed or intended to be used to inflict serious injury upon persons or property, including, but not limited to, firearms; knives of any kind or type having a blade in excess of 3½ inches in length, except when used solely for preparation of food, instruction or maintenance; razors and razor blades, except when used solely for personal shaving; metallic knuckles; clubs, blackjacks and nightsticks; dynamite cartridges, bombs, grenades, mines and other powerful explosives; slingshots; shurikins; stun guns; and loaded canes.

(b)

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, possess or have within his immediate access any dangerous weapon while in or upon any real property owned (except property owned by the city and leased to some other person or organization), leased, as lessee, or otherwise temporarily controlled by the city, whether such property is located within or outside the corporate city limits.

(c)

This section shall not apply to the following persons while acting lawfully and within the scope of their duties and authority:

(1)

Law enforcement officers.

(2)

Officers and soldiers of the armed forces, militia and national guard.

(3)

Any person who carries a dangerous weapon onto the premises of Charlotte/Douglas International Airport for the sole purpose of shipping the weapon by air in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.

(4)

Persons specifically authorized by state or federal law to carry firearms in the performance of their jobs.

(5)

Any other person authorized, in writing, by the city manager or his designee to carry or possess dangerous weapons while in or upon specified public property. The city manager may promulgate guidelines for the issuance of permits for the possession of dangerous weapons on public property. The purpose of the guidelines shall be to ensure that permits are issued only for lawful purposes and in circumstances which present no threat to the safety and welfare of any person.

(d)

This section shall not prohibit the lawful possession or carrying of dangerous weapons on the public streets and sidewalks, except as provided in section 15-18

(Code 1985, § 15-23)

any thoughts? I'm having trouble deciding whether or not that means I'm committing a crime by walking around the city or whatever. I live in uptown, so it'd be very difficult to go open carry anywhere when I have to cross the street to get to the parking garage where my car is. I did manage to enjoy my first 10 minute OC experience though, down on the sidewalk waiting for my friend to arrive. One lady walking her dog and going into my building kept looking back to inspect me further, but she seemed friendly. Was half-expecting sirens to come blazing down the street a few minutes later, but no issues.

EDIT: forgot to say, the confusing part is section "d" as it contradicts everything previously stated

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Was going over one of the many helpful links i've found on this forum and keep getting confused by the excellently worded laws ;). Anyone have any thoughts on this excerpt from the charlotte municode:

any thoughts? I'm having trouble deciding whether or not that means I'm committing a crime by walking around the city or whatever. I live in uptown, so it'd be very difficult to go open carry anywhere when I have to cross the street to get to the parking garage where my car is. I did manage to enjoy my first 10 minute OC experience though, down on the sidewalk waiting for my friend to arrive. One lady walking her dog and going into my building kept looking back to inspect me further, but she seemed friendly. Was half-expecting sirens to come blazing down the street a few minutes later, but no issues.

EDIT: forgot to say, the confusing part is section "d" as it contradicts everything previously stated

Read the ordinance a little closer, and take notice of real property, as in real estate. City owned real estate is prohibited, lawful carry that is covered by NC Supreme court rulings is not prohibited. This is similar to Cary's display laws that give the impression of making OC illegal but actually do not.

carolina guy

and IIRC, they still have to post the prohibition on the entrances to each property to be in compliance with state law.

daveden

Any advice on thoughts of not being able to OC at Settlers Cemetery in uptown charlotte.... it is a common dog walking area, and nowhere i would walk at night, or atleast wouldnt want my wife to walk alone at night, unarmed. Here is the wikipedia page on the site if that helps anyone figure it out. It is a city owned cemetery, and a historic landmark, which is why I ask about OC... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Settlers'_Cemetery_(Charlotte,_North_Carolina)

WalkingWolf

Any advice on thoughts of not being able to OC at Settlers Cemetery in uptown charlotte.... it is a common dog walking area, and nowhere i would walk at night, or atleast wouldnt want my wife to walk alone at night, unarmed. Here is the wikipedia page on the site if that helps anyone figure it out. It is a city owned cemetery, and a historic landmark, which is why I ask about OC... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Settlers'_Cemetery_(Charlotte,_North_Carolina)

Is it posted? If not I would say that the paths are sidewalks, but it certainly is real estate.