• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NY Gun Ban Details

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm trying to figure out how to set up a charity for NY State gun owners, so that they can store all their now-banned items in safe storage, to be held there until the laws change so they can get them back, or they relocate to some part of Free America where their firearms are still welcome.

This will not be a transfer of ownership program. Owners will have to bring their guns in person - no proxies or couriers. Just some sort of bonded warehouse where they can bring their toys to a place where they will be guarded and protected (as best it can be done) from theft and fire. No individual lockers, just huge rows of gun racks (long guns and handguns) with claim checks that need to be cross-matched to ID and the original storage contract.

Run it as a non-profit to keep the monthly fees as low as possible. Locate it in a state where the liklihood of similar laws being pased is very low. In order to offset the expense of travel that would be required they could claim it as a deductable education expense if they take their kid(s) with them to learn what you have to do to protect your Constitutional rights. (If they don't have a kid of their own they could borrow one.:D)

stay safe.

kurt555gs

I live in Illinois. Our Governor/Mayor et al tried something even worse during the "lame duck" session of the 97th General Assembly last week. Luckily, we were organized, and barely beat it. I'm sure "they" aren't done, but at least they won't be able to sneak it through in the middle of the night. Hopefully your gun rights organizations will have this law in court. Until then, I guess I can take a black magic marker to my map where New York used to be. Sorry.

I wonder of those that think a magazine capacity limit does not violate the Second Amendment would also feel the same about a weight limit on the Nineteenth Amendment?

Last edited:

Schlepnier

I saw the breakdown of this travesty today...just wow, sorry for you guys. this is blantantly and clearly unconstitutional under the federal consitution.

The best bet is a class action federal charge against the state. take it to SCOTUS and win again like heller did. the 2A foundation should be all over this. so glad i live in a state with a state constitutional protection on the right to keep an bear arms, since i would definately refuse to obey an illegal order to register any arms or limit my ammo to 7(unless i had a revolver of course). there are over a million of you in the state i'm sure you will get something done if you stand together.

Last edited:

JSlack7851

My condolences New Yorkers, I read even your Republican party reps. supported Como... How would any of these new laws prevented a crazy from shooting his mom and stealing her guns?

Numenor

I wonder if an M1 Garand is now banned under this law.

- No detachable magazine
- 8 round clip for loading, magazine holds 7 rounds at max
- Bayonet lug
- Barrel shroud

Or what about an M1 Carbine.

- Detachable magazine, typically in 15 or 30 round versions
- Bayonet lug
- Barrel shroud

I'm sorta hoping these all get classified under the "Curio and Relic" section, otherwise I won't be able to go shooting with my Father in NY. =(

motoxmann

I wonder if an M1 Garand is now banned under this law.

- No detachable magazine
- 8 round clip for loading, magazine holds 7 rounds at max
- Bayonet lug
- Barrel shroud

Or what about an M1 Carbine.

- Detachable magazine, typically in 15 or 30 round versions
- Bayonet lug
- Barrel shroud

I'm sorta hoping these all get classified under the "Curio and Relic" section, otherwise I won't be able to go shooting with my Father in NY. =(

the M1 carbine would be banned due to it having a bayonet lug. if it has a pistol grip, that also would deem it as banned.

the M1 garand, I don't know how that would be classified, probably not banned because it does not have a detachable magazine. as the law states: "semi automatic rifles capable of accepting a detachable magazine".

FallonJeeper

I've heard that this law says you cannot LOAD more than 7 rounds in your magazine, but you can still have the 10-round magazine. Or will this allow you to have a 13 or even 30 round magazine with only 7 rounds in it?

Magazines are restricted to seven bullets, down from 10. If you owned a 10-round magazine before the law, you can keep it, but legally load only seven rounds.

If you own a pre-1994 magazine that holds more than 10 rounds, you have a year to sell them to a licensed dealer or to someone out of state, or disable them. Or surrender them to authorities.

As I understand it, the law doesn't take effect until April 15, 2013.

Last edited:

Oramac

So I'm from Missouri, but I've been following the NY ban as close as I can. Just a hypothetical question for everyone: what are the odds the 3 big firearm manufacturers in NY ultimately leave the state?

I don't want to see that happen, but given the law, I don't see how they could stay and still make their firearms.

WalkingWolf

So I'm from Missouri, but I've been following the NY ban as close as I can. Just a hypothetical question for everyone: what are the odds the 3 big firearm manufacturers in NY ultimately leave the state?

I don't want to see that happen, but given the law, I don't see how they could stay and still make their firearms.

I don't see how moving would help or hurt them. They will lose sales in NYS wherever they go. If they move it will be due to making more money, and probably do like RIA, and move to PI. Ruger may pick up sales on their .44 and .357 rifles in NYS. 1911s should become more popular there to.

Oramac

I don't see how moving would help or hurt them. They will lose sales in NYS wherever they go. If they move it will be due to making more money, and probably do like RIA, and move to PI. Ruger may pick up sales on their .44 and .357 rifles in NYS. 1911s should become more popular there to.

Yea, I can see the 1911's booming. I was thinking more for their long gun and large pistol operations. A lot of the stuff they make use larger than 7 round mags stock.

WalkingWolf

Yea, I can see the 1911's booming. I was thinking more for their long gun and large pistol operations. A lot of the stuff they make use larger than 7 round mags stock.

Not sure about the .357 ruger carbine but the .44 only holds 6 rounds in the mag. Personally I prefer a .44 for SD to a 5.56, I would rather have the .357 also than the 5.56. But I have 1894 Marlins, I am guessing they will make Marlin put a plug in the magazine for NYS. My .44 holds 10 magnum, and 11 special. My .357 holds 9 mag, and 10 special. The Ruger carbines have detachable magazines. I never have liked pistol grips on a rifle, actually prefer straight stocks to the semi pistol grip stocks.

Well I guess Ruger no longer makes that rifle, though they have bolt action rifle in pistol caliber. I wonder if they will bring the semi auto .44 back.

Last edited:

BobDobbs

first post by me :)
I joined the forum minutes ago

first let me say , if you have a spare 5 hours here is the recorded version of the actual discussion from cameras in the assembly.
http://nystateassembly.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=2&clip_id=160

now, it is best viewed with internet explorer, firefox and chrome give me a weird media player error.

from watching the video i learned a few things.
-10 round mags were grandfathered in, but if you are caught with more than 7 rounds in the mag you can be charged.
-the "preban" mags aka 1994 and earlier stuff is now outright banned.
-supposedly the bill was designed entirelly by the state police. odd i did not know state troopers can write bills now...
-Supposedly the "background check" will take mere seconds once info is entered into the computer. Why they did not bother to make it so they can just scan the barcode on your license for this is beyond me.
-Ammo obtained from non commercial dealers will not require background checks(ranges, private individuals etc)
-they claim cops will not be regulated to 7 rounds.
-this whole thing was widely rejected by many of the members of the assembly,locals cops, sheriff's and troopers.
-this BS law will not impact crime in any way shape or form.

also let me add i've spoken with the local and state police, who the state so kindly dropped the responsibility of creating, maintaining and organizing the database for this mess.
As of today have no availability or method to register these weapons. most i have spoken with have little or no interest in even enforcing this law. In addition they all feel this will unduely put officers in harms way should they for some reason have to go collect guns from someones house.

i'm kinda torqued because i am in the process of obtaining my concealed permit, now i have to wait becasue i will apparently need to find a pistol that only carries 7 round mags...

motoxmann

first post by me :)
I joined the forum minutes ago

welcome to OCDO!!

-supposedly the bill was designed entirelly by the state police. odd i did not know state troopers can write bills now...

*supposedly*
I highly doubt the state police had anything to do with it. I'd bet it would boil down to state police in the NYC area paid by Loonberg.
anybody can submit a bill to assembly, even you and I

-they claim cops will not be regulated to 7 rounds.
yes, this supposedly was supposed to happen, but the morons rushed through the whole thing so quickly they "forgot" to actually write into the bill/law exceptions for LEO's and active military

most i have spoken with have little or no interest in even enforcing this law. In addition they all feel this will unduely put officers in harms way should they for some reason have to go collect guns from someones house.

my brother who still lives in Rochester working as a store manager for a large chain store has spoken with many police officers and security guards and armored truck guards, all of which are ignoring the law completely in regards to themselves, and all the police have also stated they will completely ignore the entire law in regards to citizens and will never enforce it UNLESS a crime of some other nature is committed (ie: armed robbery, armed assault, homicide, etc etc). they've also admitted blatantly and repeatedly that there is absolutely no way to enforce the law without a crime of another nature being committed.

i'm kinda torqued because i am in the process of obtaining my concealed permit, now i have to wait becasue i will apparently need to find a pistol that only carries 7 round mags...

don't wait!!! get your permit asap! and no you don't need to get a gun that only carries 7 round mags. you can still get whatever gun you want, you just can only carry 7 bullets in the mag. the mag does have to be physically limited to only accepting 10 rounds at most though. and granted the law states that no new mags can be bought/manufactured/sold that are capable of accepting more than 7 rounds, but magazines are NOT stamped with date of manufacture, so there is absolutely no way to enforce this law either. you can buy multiple 10rd mags private party or online and only put 7 bullets in each mag. or if you can't buy them online, you can have someone in a different state buy them online or wherever and then when they receive them have them ship them to you. there is nothing illegal about this, as they are only magazines; they are not ammunition or firearms.

BobDobbs

they even said in the assembly video that there is no way to control out of state purchases or internet sales.

good thing im 25 mins from the pa border huh ?

sad part is it would still be faster to buy ammo driving 25 mins instead of standing in wal mart for an hour...too bad though my local gun guy may be losing out on some of the ammo biz

Last edited:

motoxmann

I should add here that it is federal law that a person can legally only buy a gun within the state of his/her own residence. this excludes online sales where guns are shipped to an FFL within your state. meaning by federal law, you cannot drive to PA, buy a gun in PA, and bring it back to your home in NY.
But NYS law says NYS residents can legally buy guns from bordering states, so by state law you can drive to PA and buy a gun and bring it home. you can not however drive to North Carolina and buy a gun and bring it back home with you.

BobDobbs

depends on how old it is. They clearly said in the video i've linked a couple threads in this forum. anything older than 50 years is exempt.