• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

examiner.com - Virginia schools already have statutory power to arm teachers, staff

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.examiner.com/article/vir...tutory-power-to-arm-teachers-staff-and-others

SNIP

K-12 schools in Ohio have the power to authorize staff and others to carry firearms as part of the schools’ security programs. And a few days ago the school board of Montpelier Village, Ohio decided to put an end to make-believe gun free zones and “voted unanimously to allow four employees who have permits to carry concealed weapons to bring their guns to school.”

However many people don’t know that Virginia law also empowers K-12 schools to authorize teachers, staff, and others to carry firearms on school grounds.

. . .

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Virginia schools have statutory power to arm people

Examiner Mike Stollenwerk: Virginia schools already have statutory power to arm teachers, staff, and others

Virginia schools already have statutory power to arm teachers, staff, and others

K-12 schools in Ohio have the power to authorize staff and others to carry firearms as part of the schools’ security programs. And a few days ago the school board of Montpelier Village, Ohio decided to put an end to make-believe gun free zones and “voted unanimously to allow four employees who have permits to carry concealed weapons to bring their guns to school.”

However many people don’t know that Virginia law also empowers K-12 schools to authorize teachers, staff, and others to carry firearms on school grounds.

. . .

Last edited by a moderator:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Glad to see this summary. I knew some local private schools already have armed staff, but wasn't sure what was required for legality. I've already shared this article with friends.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Glad to see this summary. I knew some local private schools already have armed staff, but wasn't sure what was required for legality. I've already shared this article with friends.

It is an interesting concept but I doubt any of the narrow minded public school officials would go for it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm going to say that Grapeshot is on shaky ground at best, more likely in the middle of quicksand. He better chyeck to see that any rope thrown to him does not have a noose on the other end.

persons who possess firearms as a part of the school's curriculum Nope! No school teaches anything related to firearms except the bastardized version of Eddie Eagle that the State Board of Educatyion put together to avoid being beholden in any way to the NRA., activities Nope! No school has a scheduled activity that involves firearms, unless maybe you can count the Drill Rifle replicas that a marching band might have - except I'm willing to bet even non-functioning simulated guns are illegal, immoral and fattening on school grounds, or “any program sponsored or facilitated by either the school Nope! No school sponsors of facilitates any program that involves firearms or any organization authorized by the school to conduct its programs Nope! No school is going to authorize some outside organization to conduct any program, on or off premises, that involves firearms either on or off the school premises.”

I will award style points for the form displayed in making those reaches and stretches. I honestly was amazed that the old coot could twist that much.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Armed staff or armed security guards? I'm thionking that if they are not DCJS-certified Armed Security Officers the State Board and Department of Education would both pull the accreditation.

And if it is armed staff, how much extra are they paid for the additional duty?

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A top state official on Monday painted a picture of a mental health system without the resources to spot, much less stop, a perpetrator determined to do harm at a school.

“We have a very aggressive timeline,” said Secretary of Public Safety Marla Graff Decker, one of three co-chairs of the task force. “We need to be efficient, thorough and reasonable.”

She was clear in the beginning that the task force would not consider debate on gun control, school funding or specific legislation.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/l...cle_3db1e1f0-c416-5eed-b5e6-6a74d7f18053.html

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hay Skid, just an old coot here twisting that which twists best.:)

Last edited:

1911 Enthusiast

I'm going to say that Grapeshot is on shaky ground at best, more likely in the middle of quicksand. He better chyeck to see that any rope thrown to him does not have a noose on the other end.

Looks like Mike agreed with you Skid. He didn't waste much time editing out Dale's opinions and reiterating his original post. :uhoh:

Lesson learned, Super Moderator posts trump Moderator opinions. :banghead:

Steeler-gal

It's an interesting but the author seems to be making broad assumptions about private schools.

But since nobody’s reported seeing their teacher or football coach open carrying at the pep rally, it’s likely that such persons are concealed carrying.

The same could be said of any school any property anywhere. Just cause you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Armed staff or armed security guards? I'm thionking that if they are not DCJS-certified Armed Security Officers the State Board and Department of Education would both pull the accreditation.

And if it is armed staff, how much extra are they paid for the additional duty?

stay safe.

I believe both trained staff and security. Regarding the pay, I don't follow you on any additional duty. If a child has been rendered to a person for watchcare and education, the safety of that child is still a paramount portion of that care. There is no additional duty. The arming of the staff is simply a recognition of the fact that the staff have a duty to the children as part of the role as an educator, and are now being provided useful tools to accomplish just such a duty.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Looks like Mike agreed with you Skid. He didn't waste much time editing out Dale's opinions and reiterating his original post. :uhoh:

All I see that Mike did was to edit the length (fair use?) - note I had merged two threads and had quoted Mike's article in its entirety in my original that ended up being edited as post #2

No question but that Mike holds a superior position - he would and should be the first to set the record straight if I walked on his submission.

Here is the link from the OP to the complete document:
http://www.examiner.com/article/virg...aff-and-others

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I believe both trained staff and security. Regarding the pay, I don't follow you on any additional duty. If a child has been rendered to a person for watchcare and education, the safety of that child is still a paramount portion of that care. There is no additional duty. The arming of the staff is simply a recognition of the fact that the staff have a duty to the children as part of the role as an educator, and are now being provided useful tools to accomplish just such a duty.

Must be the old publiq scrool teacher indoctrination peeking out. Publiq scrool staff get extra money for every task beyond that of sitting in front of a classroom. Sports coaches, cheerleader coach, band director (even if a full-time music teacher), etc.

I'm still curious how staff get around the laws prohibiting firearms in schools, if this facility is in fact one that meets the standards of a K-12 school. I'm not challenging the philosophy - in fact I support and applaud it. I just want to know how they do it.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

No, I think Mike and Dale both made the same mistake in interpreting the meaning of the statute. Calling the act of teaching or administrating an "activity" of the school is primarily where I think they stumbled.

If either of them disagrees with me I would like to see them offer the argument (a turn of phrase meaning "show me where you are right and I am wrong").

Understand, I would be more than happy to be proved wrong. I just don't think they can do it. Not when using that section of the Code.

stay safe.