• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KS Representive Shanti Gandhi calls for Gun Control

marine0300

KS Rep. Shanti Gandhi calls for Gun Control??

I almost fell over when I heard my KS state Freshman Rep Shanti Gandhi from Topeka on Channel 27 news both at 6pm & 10pm that one of his top legislative agenda is “Gun Control” !!!

I waited until 10pm news to make sure I heard him right.

When he was running for the house seat I called him and he told me he was a supporter of the 2nd Amendment. Whatever! What I do know he never mailed back his NRA Questionnaire.

After the six o’clock news I sent him an email have not heard from him. Will post his response if he emails me back.

I called and spoke with the TV station and said they would post the interview. For now they have only posted the written word. Should post video today? That is what I was told.

http://www.ksnt.com/news/local/story...S_1ZvNgRA.cspx

New legislators sworn in

The 2013 Legislature kicked off Monday afternoon at the Statehouse.

It all started by welcoming new members to a new year.

Swearing-in for those new member took place before the sessions started. Newly elected members included Senate President Susan Wagle who is now the first woman to be president of the Senate, new House Speaker Ray Merrick and Shanti Gandhi of the House of Representatives.

We spoke to Rep. Gandhi about his priorities for the year.

"Obviously the taxes, then we are going with Capers and what is happening with gun control now that that's taken a new significance from what has happened in Connecticut and other places," Gandhi said.

The House and Senate got right down to work focusing on their upcoming agenda of public school spending and budgets.

Last edited:

marine0300

New legislators sworn in

The 2013 Legislature kicked off Monday afternoon at the Statehouse.

It all started by welcoming new members to a new year.

Swearing-in for those new member took place before the sessions started. Newly elected members included Senate President Susan Wagle who is now the first woman to be president of the Senate, new House Speaker Ray Merrick and Shanti Gandhi of the House of Representatives.

We spoke to Rep. Gandhi about his priorities for the year.

"Obviously the taxes, then we are going with Capers and what is happening with gun control now that that's taken a new significance from what has happened in Connecticut and other places," Gandhi said.

The House and Senate got right down to work focusing on their upcoming agenda of public school spending and budgets.

I just spoke with Rep Gandhi and he said he is 100% pro-gun. he said he was misquoted.
The above question about his Priorities, he says, wasn't the question that was asked.
He told me he was asked what issues are going to come up in this year's legislative session? That is when he said gun control among other issues.

He is writing a letter to me and I will post it.

davidmcbeth

Banned
No one will ever say "they don't support the 2nd amendment" ... they just have different ideas as to what the 2nd amendment means ...

Should have asked further questions before you voted for them ! Sucker... ;)

marine0300

Pro Gun??

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2013 7:53 PM
To: 'sgandhi@cox.net'
Subject: RE: Gun Control

Mr. Gandhi,

Thank you for emailing me back about my concerns over gun control. I appreciate you putting in writing your true feelings about the 2nd Amendment.

While you and I agree that armed protection in schools is needed and that no gun zones are killing fields for the mentally deranged. We disagree on semi-automatic guns.

I believe most concealed carry permit holders, including myself, use semi-automatic pistols. Also, as an avid hunter several of the firearms I and many others use are semiautomatic.

All that being said the 2nd Amendment is not for target shooting or hunting but is to protect the citizenry from a tyrannical government. And the founders of our county, President Madison, spoke of the people having the same arms as the military or authorities.

Just like 237 years ago, today we need to have the same type of firearms as the police or military so we can protect ourselves or in case of a national emergency work or fight right alongside with them.

Again I really appreciate your time getting back with me. As registered voter in your district if you ever have questions or would like my opinion about upcoming legislation on firearms or related topics like hunting or security please feel free contact me anytime.

This is the link to the news article that quoted you. http://www.ksnt.com/news/local/story/New-legislators-sworn-in/h4g5AxERBkGIvS_1ZvNgRA.cspx

We appreciate you serving your community,

Have a great week,

Earl McIntosh
4208 SW Stonybrook Dr
Topeka, KS 66614
785-213-1715

Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2013 6:38 PM
To: Earl McIntosh
Subject: Re: Gun Control

Hi Earl, Thanks for your email.
In the interview I was asked, what issues would come up in the legislature during this session. I am sure you will also agree that one of them is going to be gun control.
Now the second phase of your question. I am a strong supporter of the second amendment and I will oppose any attempts to remove it.
I also support, conceal and carry it only makes sense.
Following Sandy Hook, I feel that there are going to be more copycat incidences where more people are liable to lose their lives. The only way to prevent something like this in the near future is armed protection. If the politicians have armed protection, why not our children? As we proceed to handle the immediate risks, we should concomitantly address some of the other cultural aspects such as influence of video games, Hollywood movies, and the ability of mentally unstable individuals to access weapons.

We should also seriously think of using new developments in the modern technology and encourage innovations to decisively prevent mass killings. When I see all the innovations in the modern security systems it makes me think that we should be able to easily pinpoint a perpetrator instantly on the security cameras and should be able to take him down remotely if the camera was equipped to do so. May be they already have it. This should be an integral part of armed protection. We need it now.
You may not like what I have to say next. I consider automatic and smi-aoutomatic weapons, as weapons of war. Sale and purchase of any such weapons should be made illegal for civilians.
I would also like to see the news article that you referred to during our phone conversation. Where can I find it?
Earl, I enjoyed talking to you. Call me any time. You can share this with any one as long as you present it in its entirety. Thanks.
Shanti Gandhi.

---- Earl McIntosh <etmcintosh@cox.net> wrote:

=============
Representative Gandhi,

I am a registered voter in your district. Tonight I was watching channel 27 News and saw your interview. What caught my eye was one of your legislative priorities is gun control.

Could you let me know, and please be specific, what kind of control are you proposing?

Right before the election I spoke with you and you informed me you were a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment?

You did get my vote for the only reason you stated you were a strong supporter of gun rights.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Earl McIntosh

4208 SW Stonybrook Dr

Topeka, KS 66610

Cell 785-213-1715

davidmcbeth

Banned
Hunting is one of the points made in the Heller case .... but not the main focus ...

I consider automatic and smi-aoutomatic weapons, as weapons of war. Sale and purchase of any such weapons should be made illegal for civilians.

This is an obama quote ... write back and give him a copy of US v. Miller 1939 that outlines the criteria for what guns are covered.

He'll then say "that was 1939 and no longer relevant" I assume ... but you'll know that whatever information you provide will be considered not relevant.

And tell him that you think that these laws will be a "challenge" to someone and that a school shooting using a shotgun will result in even more deaths ... and then what? He's willing to outlaw shotguns next?

marine0300

Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:15 PM
To: 'sgandhi@cox.net'
Subject: RE: Guns

Hi Rep. Gandhi,

Thank you for the email. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your diligence to listen to your constituents and research an issue.

Unless someone is raised in a family who owns firearms or is in the gun culture it can be very confusing. The media does not help in this matter by stating or misstating inaccurate information like what is an assault rifle and what it is not. The differences are significant. Assault rifles are fully automatic and the normal citizen cannot walk into a gun store or pawn shop and purchase one.

In the next few weeks I would like to contact you and maybe show you a few examples?

That being said I really appreciate the communication.

I am praying for all our representatives at the state to help fix the monumental problems.

I appreciate your service.

Have a great week,

Earl McIntosh

Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 3:28 PM
To: Earl McIntosh
Subject: Guns

Hi Earl, After your last letter I decided to google semi-automatics and realized my misconception. I apologies and I stand corrected. I have no excuse. You have every right to carry a semi-automatic. I would love to talk to you some more.
Thanks.

Shanti Gandhi
---- sgandhi@cox.net wrote: