Thread: Avoid Mace Sports in Mebane

Avoid Mace Sports in Mebane

I stopped by Mace Sports in Mebane today on my way back from Greensboro. I left without buying anything.

For one thing, their prices were through the roof (on everything, not just the current craziness).

For another, they have a prominent sign on the front door saying "if you're concealed carrying, keep it CONCEALED." Ridiculous. What are they afraid of, that one of their customers might catch a glimpse of someone's piece and freak out? In a GUN shop??

I refuse to patronize gun shops that have silly signs like this posted at their entrances. There is just no excuse for it.

So, does it say anything about OC?

The sign is terse, sure. But I agree with it, overall.

They've probably had idiots handling their firearm in the store, thinking it is okay to do so because it is a gun store.

The exposition of a concealed firearm naturally causes alarm at some level, whereas normal OC should not. It's in our nature that only bad people conceal their weapons. It's only in modern times that good people are doing it to fit in (or because of a law that requires such fitting in).

I have never in my life given a second thought to an OC'er. But I always wonder who a guy is if I notice that he is carrying a concealed firearm. Even though the latter is now more common for the good guys, the former is unheard of for the bad guys anymore.

I'm just rambling.

The sign could be wordier, but then fewer people would read it. Sportsman's Warehouse has a perfect sign, but you have to stop at the door for a whole minute to read it. It basically says that firearms being brought in must be unloaded, unless it is your sidearm. If it is your sidearm, you cannot handle it while in the store.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I will not boycott a business just because they raise their prices, now I may search for a lower priced option at another dealer. I have had this discussion with another business with a similar sign. The owner was out of town and the clerk attempted to tell me I had to unload my weapon to OC in the store. This was completely dispelled once I made contact with the owner, the purpose of the signs is so there is no handling of loaded firearms in the business. You should contact the manager or owner to clear things up. Gun stores are not fashion stores to show off a concealed gun, I agree if you enter concealed it should remain concealed. If you are OCing it should remain in the holster and not touched, unless there is a compelling reason like a self defense situation.

One of my personal irritations is people who constantly figgit with their firearm whether concealed or open. The more the weapon is handled the more chance of a ND. While I do not concern myself with public image, this is one area I will agree with the public.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 01-15-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

well since their sign specifically mentioned concealed...eh oc and which way the staff releases their bovine gases...
    worst case you get asked to depart the property...

wabbit

ps someone commissions a sign and while the intent sounds good initally, the print shop could change placement of words to change meaning...
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

I have seen several of these signs, I ignore them unless something is said. I was caught off guard a month ago by an employee, but that was cleared up. The gun shop in Spring Lake also has one, and they never say a word about OC. Dick's has a sign also that guns be unloaded, but they never say anything about OC, or CC. I believe a sign saying carry welcome, but no handling of loaded weapons in store would be less confusing.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I've shopped at Mace at least a dozen times, and I have carried openly for most of those visits. No employee has ever batted an eye much less hassled me over it.

I assume the sign is there to curtail just what Mac suggested; that an unexpected exposition of a concealed gun may cause alarm.

As for prices, I've purchased two pistols from them over the years, both of which were in line with other local competitors (at least at that time).

I like their wider-than-most selection.
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

Assuming their intention is not to prohibit OC and is actually to prevent NDs due to handling of loaded firearms inside the store, I'd like to see the sign reworded to something like this:

"Properly holstered sidearms are welcome as long as they remain holstered."

Or even:

"Handling of personal firearms prohibited on these premises."

But I interpreted the existing sign to mean that open carriers were not welcome, and I did not have time to wait around for an employee to become available to clarify the situation.

Ive been there a few times. Actually got a hell of a good deal on my latest turkey gun from them last spring.

Quote Originally Posted by frogfish View Post
    Ive been there a few times. Actually got a hell of a good deal on my latest turkey gun from them last spring.
    Shhhh don't say turkey gun, that will be the next evil weapon that the morons in Washington will want to ban...
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 01-17-2013 at 03:31 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Alot of the signs(Dicks) are for customers bringing in guns for something. This sign is mostly for cc people who would take their gun out of the holster to show someone ect. They should have worded it different.

So would this be a turkey gun?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Check lots of other gun stores

Quote Originally Posted by glockaholic View Post
    I stopped by Mace Sports in Mebane today on my way back from Greensboro. I left without buying anything.

For one thing, their prices were through the roof (on everything, not just the current craziness).

For another, they have a prominent sign on the front door saying "if you're concealed carrying, keep it CONCEALED." Ridiculous. What are they afraid of, that one of their customers might catch a glimpse of someone's piece and freak out? In a GUN shop??

I refuse to patronize gun shops that have silly signs like this posted at their entrances. There is just no excuse for it.
    I have a few stores I go to on a regular basis. I have caught a good deal at Mace before (used guns), and when they are not busy they have a couple of really knowledgeable people. Problem is that they have a LOT of looky loos.

To the point of the sign. Two of the places that I frequently buy from have signs on the door (of a slightly different nature). Those businesses signs say something about "not removing your firearm from its holster if you are armed". You have too many idiots who want to show off their gun (waving it around) or wanting to bring their gun in for sale or trade, and carrying it in with their hand on the gun in firing position (sometimes loaded).

If you talk to the people that work there, you may find there is a reason for the sign similar to those stated above. I have moved, and haven't been to Mace in about a year and a half, but I imagine if you asked there would be a reason.

Like I said, I have just had too many mom and pop owners tell me too many stories where one of their employees or customers almost decided to defend the store because someone had no common sense about how to handle their firearm in public.

And they aren't the only place with crazy prices now......thats why I have a nice stockpile of essentials and I won't be buying any firearms until this craziness dies down.

Yeah, I think I might have jumped the gun on the sign (no pun intended). It's not that big a deal. I think I've just been in a bad mood lately with all this anti-gun sentiment in the news. :/

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    So would this be a turkey gun?
    Don't blame the gun for the turkey holding it...
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post

She's violating at least 2 of the 4 rules of firearm safety in that pic.

Concealed vs Not Concealed

Quote Originally Posted by glockaholic View Post

" I think you have forgotten that NC like other states define Concealed as being totally concealed along with any holster that may be used. Not doing so can be just cause for arrest and having your CCW permit revoked and can get you arrested."

Quote Originally Posted by RiseUpNow View Post
    " I think you have forgotten that NC like other states define Concealed as being totally concealed along with any holster that may be used. Not doing so can be just cause for arrest and having your CCW permit revoked and can get you arrested."
    welcome to the forum and do you have a particular cite for this statement you have made ?

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

I think you didn't notice that this thread is over one year old. And I also would like to see a cite on your claim.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Arrow Concealed

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I think you didn't notice that this thread is over one year old. And I also would like to see a cite on your claim.
    Oops.... I made an error and failed to note the date of the post. For that I offer my regrets. However in doing so (the error) it has brought to light a very misunderstood detail known as CONCEALED and Substantially.

The working definition will vary depending upon who is doing the viewing. There are the Pro gun control crowd and the no gun control crowd and those in between. Even among law enforcement there are those who do not support the 2nd amendment and those who do. The first will arrest you in a heartbeat and the latter will give you a friendly caution.

I do whatever I need to do to be fully concealed as that will make sure I will pass muster when carrying. I live in Orange Co and before that Durham. No slack is given in either county.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/c/concealed-weapons/

The following link is from NC law.

http://search.uslegal.com/?cx=001866...cof=FORID%3A11

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    She ain't dead yet?

Or maybe she is ....

Oops.... I made an error and failed to note the date of the post. For that I offer my regrets. However in doing so (the error) it has brought to light a very misunderstood detail known as CONCEALED and Substantially.

The working definition will vary depending upon who is doing the viewing. There are the Pro gun control crowd and the no gun control crowd and those in between. Even among law enforcement there are those who do not support the 2nd amendment and those who do. The first will arrest you in a heartbeat and the latter will give you a friendly caution.

I do whatever I need to do to be fully concealed as that will make sure I will pass muster when carrying. I live in Orange Co and before that Durham. No slack is given in either county.

Welcome to OCDO...but you do know that both links contain incorrect information. The 2nd link has been partially outdated by recent legislation (HB937), and the 1st link is overbroad, IMO. Each state has incorporated elements of the LEO Safety Act (2004), but it doesn't allow what it says it allows for each state regardless what each state has on the books.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

I concur with carolinaguy's assessment. Also your first link, giving a definition of CC which used a state law, does not apply here: This is North Carolina, NOT North Dakota (which is the example used). Here, OC is the default mode of carry; CC requires permission. Therefore, printing or partial OC is not unlawful with CHP.

If LEO says it is open then it is legal and if he says it is concealed then it is legal with a CHP. He cannot have it both ways....it is either concealed or it is not concealed.