• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Avoid Mace Sports in Mebane

glockaholic

I stopped by Mace Sports in Mebane today on my way back from Greensboro. I left without buying anything.

For one thing, their prices were through the roof (on everything, not just the current craziness).

For another, they have a prominent sign on the front door saying "if you're concealed carrying, keep it CONCEALED." Ridiculous. What are they afraid of, that one of their customers might catch a glimpse of someone's piece and freak out? In a GUN shop??

I refuse to patronize gun shops that have silly signs like this posted at their entrances. There is just no excuse for it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The sign is terse, sure. But I agree with it, overall.

They've probably had idiots handling their firearm in the store, thinking it is okay to do so because it is a gun store.

The exposition of a concealed firearm naturally causes alarm at some level, whereas normal OC should not. It's in our nature that only bad people conceal their weapons. It's only in modern times that good people are doing it to fit in (or because of a law that requires such fitting in).

I have never in my life given a second thought to an OC'er. But I always wonder who a guy is if I notice that he is carrying a concealed firearm. Even though the latter is now more common for the good guys, the former is unheard of for the bad guys anymore.

I'm just rambling.

The sign could be wordier, but then fewer people would read it. Sportsman's Warehouse has a perfect sign, but you have to stop at the door for a whole minute to read it. It basically says that firearms being brought in must be unloaded, unless it is your sidearm. If it is your sidearm, you cannot handle it while in the store.

WalkingWolf

I will not boycott a business just because they raise their prices, now I may search for a lower priced option at another dealer. I have had this discussion with another business with a similar sign. The owner was out of town and the clerk attempted to tell me I had to unload my weapon to OC in the store. This was completely dispelled once I made contact with the owner, the purpose of the signs is so there is no handling of loaded firearms in the business. You should contact the manager or owner to clear things up. Gun stores are not fashion stores to show off a concealed gun, I agree if you enter concealed it should remain concealed. If you are OCing it should remain in the holster and not touched, unless there is a compelling reason like a self defense situation.

One of my personal irritations is people who constantly figgit with their firearm whether concealed or open. The more the weapon is handled the more chance of a ND. While I do not concern myself with public image, this is one area I will agree with the public.

Last edited:

ncwabbit

well since their sign specifically mentioned concealed...eh oc and which way the staff releases their bovine gases...
worst case you get asked to depart the property...

wabbit

ps someone commissions a sign and while the intent sounds good initally, the print shop could change placement of words to change meaning...

WalkingWolf

I have seen several of these signs, I ignore them unless something is said. I was caught off guard a month ago by an employee, but that was cleared up. The gun shop in Spring Lake also has one, and they never say a word about OC. Dick's has a sign also that guns be unloaded, but they never say anything about OC, or CC. I believe a sign saying carry welcome, but no handling of loaded weapons in store would be less confusing.

Smith45acp

I've shopped at Mace at least a dozen times, and I have carried openly for most of those visits. No employee has ever batted an eye much less hassled me over it.

I assume the sign is there to curtail just what Mac suggested; that an unexpected exposition of a concealed gun may cause alarm.

As for prices, I've purchased two pistols from them over the years, both of which were in line with other local competitors (at least at that time).

I like their wider-than-most selection.

glockaholic

Assuming their intention is not to prohibit OC and is actually to prevent NDs due to handling of loaded firearms inside the store, I'd like to see the sign reworded to something like this:

"Properly holstered sidearms are welcome as long as they remain holstered."

Or even:

"Handling of personal firearms prohibited on these premises."

But I interpreted the existing sign to mean that open carriers were not welcome, and I did not have time to wait around for an employee to become available to clarify the situation.

frogfish

Ive been there a few times. Actually got a hell of a good deal on my latest turkey gun from them last spring.

WalkingWolf

Ive been there a few times. Actually got a hell of a good deal on my latest turkey gun from them last spring.

Shhhh don't say turkey gun, that will be the next evil weapon that the morons in Washington will want to ban...:uhoh:

Last edited:

nobama

Alot of the signs(Dicks) are for customers bringing in guns for something. This sign is mostly for cc people who would take their gun out of the holster to show someone ect. They should have worded it different.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So would this be a turkey gun?
abbc5eaf41f9a4bad3e24fad0c1e8fa0.jpg

ocgso

Check lots of other gun stores

I stopped by Mace Sports in Mebane today on my way back from Greensboro. I left without buying anything.

For one thing, their prices were through the roof (on everything, not just the current craziness).

For another, they have a prominent sign on the front door saying "if you're concealed carrying, keep it CONCEALED." Ridiculous. What are they afraid of, that one of their customers might catch a glimpse of someone's piece and freak out? In a GUN shop??

I refuse to patronize gun shops that have silly signs like this posted at their entrances. There is just no excuse for it.

I have a few stores I go to on a regular basis. I have caught a good deal at Mace before (used guns), and when they are not busy they have a couple of really knowledgeable people. Problem is that they have a LOT of looky loos.

To the point of the sign. Two of the places that I frequently buy from have signs on the door (of a slightly different nature). Those businesses signs say something about "not removing your firearm from its holster if you are armed". You have too many idiots who want to show off their gun (waving it around) or wanting to bring their gun in for sale or trade, and carrying it in with their hand on the gun in firing position (sometimes loaded).

If you talk to the people that work there, you may find there is a reason for the sign similar to those stated above. I have moved, and haven't been to Mace in about a year and a half, but I imagine if you asked there would be a reason.

Like I said, I have just had too many mom and pop owners tell me too many stories where one of their employees or customers almost decided to defend the store because someone had no common sense about how to handle their firearm in public.

And they aren't the only place with crazy prices now......thats why I have a nice stockpile of essentials and I won't be buying any firearms until this craziness dies down.

glockaholic

Yeah, I think I might have jumped the gun on the sign (no pun intended). It's not that big a deal. I think I've just been in a bad mood lately with all this anti-gun sentiment in the news. :/

RiseUpNow

Concealed vs Not Concealed

" I think you have forgotten that NC like other states define Concealed as being totally concealed along with any holster that may be used. Not doing so can be just cause for arrest and having your CCW permit revoked and can get you arrested."

solus

" I think you have forgotten that NC like other states define Concealed as being totally concealed along with any holster that may be used. Not doing so can be just cause for arrest and having your CCW permit revoked and can get you arrested."

welcome to the forum and do you have a particular cite for this statement you have made ?

ipse

WalkingWolf

I think you didn't notice that this thread is over one year old. And I also would like to see a cite on your claim.