Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Open Carry Legislation 2013

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    28

    Open Carry Legislation 2013

    Rep. George Lavender, Texarkana submitted this bill before and it was defeated. Gov. Perry said the last time that he would sign it if it lands on his desk. Lavender posted on Facebook this week that he is working on the bill and will submit it soon. Let's get behind this and get this passed, it is long overdue. Texas is only one of six states that does not have some form of OC. Start contacting your Tx Reps and Senators now and ask them to get behind this bill as soon as it is entered. I sent a message to my Senator and Rep today asking for their support. Just go to the Texas legislature website and you can determine who your reps and senators are and you can contact them via email.

    http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx
    Last edited by tejasx; 01-15-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Add website link

  2. #2
    Regular Member Wolfgang1952's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Mt Hermon / Franklinton,La ,
    Posts
    173
    Are yal pushing for OC without a permit? I hope so, so I donít have to keep taking my side arm off every time I want to go visit my family in East Texas.
    Pres. Florida Parishes Chapter of LOCAL www.laopencarry.org

    .308 Isn't an area code, but it can still make long distance calls.
    How may I help you? Press '1' for English. Press '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English.


    Wolf

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pearland, TX
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang1952 View Post
    Are yal pushing for OC without a permit? I hope so, so I donít have to keep taking my side arm off every time I want to go visit my family in East Texas.
    I wish. But small steps, that's how politics goes.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    48
    I hope it goes through this time. It is sad that so many other states have passed this successfully. They are always shocked that Texas has not yet done so. They expect Texas to lead causes such as this.

    What do you think the chances are in this session?

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanmills View Post
    I wish. But small steps, that's how politics goes.
    I agree, baby steps. I would prefer to go without the license requirement, but let's get OC in the door then we can work on the permit. If we push for too much at one time, it could kill the whole deal. That's what happened last time, there were other gun bills on the agenda and OC got pushed out.

    Contract your rep's and let's get this going. I am tired of fearing that I can be arrested if someone accidentally sees my gun.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by tx-skydiver View Post
    I hope it goes through this time. It is sad that so many other states have passed this successfully. They are always shocked that Texas has not yet done so. They expect Texas to lead causes such as this.

    What do you think the chances are in this session?
    Time to make those contacts and let them know we want this.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    59
    you mean to tell me that George LAVENDER has not submitted this bill yet he had like four years to work on this not saying that this is easy but come on man let get this done no excuses like the last time
    could it be possible that george lavender trying to prevent this seem like he stalling

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by have gun will travel View Post
    you mean to tell me that George LAVENDER has not submitted this bill yet he had like four years to work on this not saying that this is easy but come on man let get this done no excuses like the last time
    could it be possible that george lavender trying to prevent this seem like he stalling
    Really, you think he could just modify and submit the last bill. I wonder if he was stalling until the craziness over gun control in the White House and the public frenzy settlles down. Now, they are out until Jan 23 and he has not submitted the bill. I think they have until March to submit bills.
    Last edited by tejasx; 01-17-2013 at 02:30 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    When unloading a cattle trailer the cows at the front-end get some scrutiny, as well as those bringing up the rear. The scrappy little "runt" in the middle nearly missed being counted but somehow made it down the ramp and into the pen .
    Last edited by rushcreek2; 01-17-2013 at 07:31 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boerne
    Posts
    15

    Open Carry Legislation 2013

    Subscribed. Is there any updates or is the ill available for review?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    pottsboro,texas
    Posts
    200

    C.s.p.o.a.

    Quote Originally Posted by tejasx View Post
    Rep. George Lavender, Texarkana submitted this bill before and it was defeated. Gov. Perry said the last time that he would sign it if it lands on his desk. Lavender posted on Facebook this week that he is working on the bill and will submit it soon. Let's get behind this and get this passed, it is long overdue. Texas is only one of six states that does not have some form of OC. Start contacting your Tx Reps and Senators now and ask them to get behind this bill as soon as it is entered. I sent a message to my Senator and Rep today asking for their support. Just go to the Texas legislature website and you can determine who your reps and senators are and you can contact them via email.

    http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx
    just seen a video on the constitution sherriff police officers assoc(cspoa) and this org is suppose to be made of sherriffs and police chiefs stating that they will not allow federal gun confiscation to happen in their counties and that the feds are not allowed in for that matter. and that they will defend their oath of office on the constitution and the 2nd amendment ...now this thing is getting bigger and bigger...well we could call them on this by asking cspoa.org to contact and advocate open carry to tx reps and senators and get behind this bill ... maybe they will have the pull that we seem to be lacking...and if they don't want to help us out on this , well then i guess that would tell us how they really feel about the 2nd. so whats ya'lls thoughts on this? anyone care to give them a shout, i would but I travel so much in my business that I hardley get to check out oc.org
    Our ancesters, veterens, and people of the service gave and are giving their time and sacrifice to preserve and defend our rights . it''s up to us the people to show appreciation by not sacrificing but investing time to exercise and preserve those rights.......the bushwacker...

  12. #12
    Regular Member ()pen(arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA; escaped from 18 years in TX
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by bushwacker View Post
    just seen a video on the constitution sherriff police officers assoc(cspoa) and this org is suppose to be made of sherriffs and police chiefs stating that they will not allow federal gun confiscation to happen in their counties and that the feds are not allowed in for that matter. and that they will defend their oath of office on the constitution and the 2nd amendment ...now this thing is getting bigger and bigger...well we could call them on this by asking cspoa.org to contact and advocate open carry to tx reps and senators and get behind this bill ... maybe they will have the pull that we seem to be lacking...and if they don't want to help us out on this , well then i guess that would tell us how they really feel about the 2nd. so whats ya'lls thoughts on this? anyone care to give them a shout, i would but I travel so much in my business that I hardley get to check out oc.org
    Nonsense. These self-serving blowhards will change their tunes the instant the DoD threatens to stop sending them free APCs and M4s. They're grand-standing for their next elections, and don't give two sh**s about your 2nd Amendment rights.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Subscribed. Is there any updates or is the ill available for review?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

    He mentioned on his Facebook page that it should be submitted this week.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,509
    Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    Nonsense. These self-serving blowhards will change their tunes the instant the DoD threatens to stop sending them free APCs and M4s. They're grand-standing for their next elections, and don't give two sh**s about your 2nd Amendment rights.
    With a few possible exceptions, absolutely right.

    Every time I see people gushing about these "constitutional" sheriffs who will refuse to enforce a gun ban, I have to wonder how many of those same sheriffs don't blink twice before enforcing the drug war, or engaging in asset forfeiture.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, ,
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    With a few possible exceptions, absolutely right.

    Every time I see people gushing about these "constitutional" sheriffs who will refuse to enforce a gun ban, I have to wonder how many of those same sheriffs don't blink twice before enforcing the drug war, or engaging in asset forfeiture.
    I want to know why they aren't all up their respective governor's faces about unconstitutional gun laws in their own states. Even Texas has what I see as unconstitutional gun laws. I can legally own a gun, so I should be able to carry it *without* having to pay the state a fee for a license to do so. Period.

    The Constitution does not grant the states the right to infringe on our rights.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    28
    Well, they are back in session today, still nothing on OC from Lavender. The only bill that he co-authored that has been submitted is this one on protecting the 2nd Amendment;

    Introduced
    Caption Text: Relating to firearms and the preservation of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution; providing penalties.
    Last edited by tejasx; 01-23-2013 at 03:55 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3
    Mr. Lavender responded on my facebook last night with an update Jan 22nd.


    Me: "Mr. Lavender, thank you for all you do. I and my family would love to see open carry OR imprinting of a CCW allowed. Texas summers are too hot. As a CCW permit holder, you have all my support. Let's get this filed and passed!!!"

    Mr Lavender: "Thank you, Steven. It will be filed very soon. We will post when it gets filed. I appreciate your support!"

    ---------------------------------

    Here was Mr. Lavenders response to another facebook user dated Jan 19th:

    "Mr. Lavender, you ARE planning on introducing Open Carry legislation, right? Many of us supported you for exactly that reason..."

    "Yes I am. It has taken longer than it should have to get it back from the legal people, but we should have it back to review and file next week. We have also been working on a Senate sponsor."





    Looks like this will get filed very soon according to Mr. Lavender! Now we must do everything we can to get it signed into law!

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    28
    Lavender filed OC Today, it is on the books!

    HB700 01/24/2013 H Filed

    Caption Version: Introduced
    Caption Text: Relating to the authority of a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry the handgun; providing penalties.

    Author: Lavender

    Subjects: Weapons (I0887)
    CONCEALED HANDGUNS (S0241)
    PUBLIC SAFETY, DEPARTMENT OF (V0251)
    Last edited by tejasx; 01-24-2013 at 11:56 AM.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Converse, Texas
    Posts
    10

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    28
    I know the wheels turn slow in Austin, but I wish there was some movement on the bill. At least it is filed, but sure would like to see some forward movement.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Big D
    Posts
    1,059

    Open Carry Legislation 2013

    As things go, you have to file and wait. And then do it all over again next session. Since this has been seen before, it should move faster. Hopefully.

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    As things go, you have to file and wait. And then do it all over again next session. Since this has been seen before, it should move faster. Hopefully.
    Yep, it has to go to committee in the house, then vote by the house, committe in the senate, vote by the senate, it all that goes, then sign by the Gov. Then it will be law. Lavender said on his Facebook page, that he thinks it will pass this time.

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    28
    Both Senate and House are out of session until Monday, so nothing is going to happen this week.

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    28
    HB700 moved to the House Committee today, at least there is some movement on it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •