• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Legislation 2013

tejasx

Campaign Veteran
Rep. George Lavender, Texarkana submitted this bill before and it was defeated. Gov. Perry said the last time that he would sign it if it lands on his desk. Lavender posted on Facebook this week that he is working on the bill and will submit it soon. Let's get behind this and get this passed, it is long overdue. Texas is only one of six states that does not have some form of OC. Start contacting your Tx Reps and Senators now and ask them to get behind this bill as soon as it is entered. I sent a message to my Senator and Rep today asking for their support. Just go to the Texas legislature website and you can determine who your reps and senators are and you can contact them via email.

http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx

Last edited:

tx-skydiver

I hope it goes through this time. It is sad that so many other states have passed this successfully. They are always shocked that Texas has not yet done so. They expect Texas to lead causes such as this.

What do you think the chances are in this session?

tejasx

Campaign Veteran
I wish. But small steps, that's how politics goes.

I agree, baby steps. I would prefer to go without the license requirement, but let's get OC in the door then we can work on the permit. If we push for too much at one time, it could kill the whole deal. That's what happened last time, there were other gun bills on the agenda and OC got pushed out.

Contract your rep's and let's get this going. I am tired of fearing that I can be arrested if someone accidentally sees my gun.

tejasx

Campaign Veteran
I hope it goes through this time. It is sad that so many other states have passed this successfully. They are always shocked that Texas has not yet done so. They expect Texas to lead causes such as this.

What do you think the chances are in this session?

Time to make those contacts and let them know we want this.

have gun will travel

you mean to tell me that George LAVENDER has not submitted this bill yet he had like four years to work on this not saying that this is easy but come on man let get this done no excuses like the last time
could it be possible that george lavender trying to prevent this seem like he stalling

tejasx

Campaign Veteran
you mean to tell me that George LAVENDER has not submitted this bill yet he had like four years to work on this not saying that this is easy but come on man let get this done no excuses like the last time
could it be possible that george lavender trying to prevent this seem like he stalling

Really, you think he could just modify and submit the last bill. I wonder if he was stalling until the craziness over gun control in the White House and the public frenzy settlles down. Now, they are out until Jan 23 and he has not submitted the bill. I think they have until March to submit bills.

Last edited:

rushcreek2

When unloading a cattle trailer the cows at the front-end get some scrutiny, as well as those bringing up the rear. The scrappy little "runt" in the middle nearly missed being counted but somehow made it down the ramp and into the pen .

Last edited:

bones

Subscribed. Is there any updates or is the ill available for review?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bushwacker

C.s.p.o.a.

Rep. George Lavender, Texarkana submitted this bill before and it was defeated. Gov. Perry said the last time that he would sign it if it lands on his desk. Lavender posted on Facebook this week that he is working on the bill and will submit it soon. Let's get behind this and get this passed, it is long overdue. Texas is only one of six states that does not have some form of OC. Start contacting your Tx Reps and Senators now and ask them to get behind this bill as soon as it is entered. I sent a message to my Senator and Rep today asking for their support. Just go to the Texas legislature website and you can determine who your reps and senators are and you can contact them via email.

http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx

just seen a video on the constitution sherriff police officers assoc(cspoa) and this org is suppose to be made of sherriffs and police chiefs stating that they will not allow federal gun confiscation to happen in their counties and that the feds are not allowed in for that matter. and that they will defend their oath of office on the constitution and the 2nd amendment ...now this thing is getting bigger and bigger...well we could call them on this by asking cspoa.org to contact and advocate open carry to tx reps and senators and get behind this bill ... maybe they will have the pull that we seem to be lacking...and if they don't want to help us out on this , well then i guess that would tell us how they really feel about the 2nd. so whats ya'lls thoughts on this? anyone care to give them a shout, i would but I travel so much in my business that I hardley get to check out oc.org

()pen(arry

just seen a video on the constitution sherriff police officers assoc(cspoa) and this org is suppose to be made of sherriffs and police chiefs stating that they will not allow federal gun confiscation to happen in their counties and that the feds are not allowed in for that matter. and that they will defend their oath of office on the constitution and the 2nd amendment ...now this thing is getting bigger and bigger...well we could call them on this by asking cspoa.org to contact and advocate open carry to tx reps and senators and get behind this bill ... maybe they will have the pull that we seem to be lacking...and if they don't want to help us out on this , well then i guess that would tell us how they really feel about the 2nd. so whats ya'lls thoughts on this? anyone care to give them a shout, i would but I travel so much in my business that I hardley get to check out oc.org

Nonsense. These self-serving blowhards will change their tunes the instant the DoD threatens to stop sending them free APCs and M4s. They're grand-standing for their next elections, and don't give two sh**s about your 2nd Amendment rights.

KBCraig

Nonsense. These self-serving blowhards will change their tunes the instant the DoD threatens to stop sending them free APCs and M4s. They're grand-standing for their next elections, and don't give two sh**s about your 2nd Amendment rights.

With a few possible exceptions, absolutely right.

Every time I see people gushing about these "constitutional" sheriffs who will refuse to enforce a gun ban, I have to wonder how many of those same sheriffs don't blink twice before enforcing the drug war, or engaging in asset forfeiture.

jsimmons

With a few possible exceptions, absolutely right.

Every time I see people gushing about these "constitutional" sheriffs who will refuse to enforce a gun ban, I have to wonder how many of those same sheriffs don't blink twice before enforcing the drug war, or engaging in asset forfeiture.

I want to know why they aren't all up their respective governor's faces about unconstitutional gun laws in their own states. Even Texas has what I see as unconstitutional gun laws. I can legally own a gun, so I should be able to carry it *without* having to pay the state a fee for a license to do so. Period.

The Constitution does not grant the states the right to infringe on our rights.

tejasx

Campaign Veteran
Well, they are back in session today, still nothing on OC from Lavender. The only bill that he co-authored that has been submitted is this one on protecting the 2nd Amendment;

Introduced
Caption Text: Relating to firearms and the preservation of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution; providing penalties.

Last edited:

SChang

Mr. Lavender responded on my facebook last night with an update Jan 22nd.

Me: "Mr. Lavender, thank you for all you do. I and my family would love to see open carry OR imprinting of a CCW allowed. Texas summers are too hot. As a CCW permit holder, you have all my support. Let's get this filed and passed!!!"

Mr Lavender: "Thank you, Steven. It will be filed very soon. We will post when it gets filed. I appreciate your support!"

---------------------------------

Here was Mr. Lavenders response to another facebook user dated Jan 19th:

"Mr. Lavender, you ARE planning on introducing Open Carry legislation, right? Many of us supported you for exactly that reason..."

"Yes I am. It has taken longer than it should have to get it back from the legal people, but we should have it back to review and file next week. We have also been working on a Senate sponsor."

Looks like this will get filed very soon according to Mr. Lavender! Now we must do everything we can to get it signed into law! :)

tejasx

Campaign Veteran
Lavender filed OC Today, it is on the books!

HB700 01/24/2013 H Filed

Caption Version: Introduced
Caption Text: Relating to the authority of a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry the handgun; providing penalties.

Author: Lavender

Subjects: Weapons (I0887)
CONCEALED HANDGUNS (S0241)
PUBLIC SAFETY, DEPARTMENT OF (V0251)

Last edited:

tejasx

Campaign Veteran
I know the wheels turn slow in Austin, but I wish there was some movement on the bill. At least it is filed, but sure would like to see some forward movement.