• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BoyScouts gun policy, news to me.

OCinBlaine

Howdy folks!
Last night, after my son's Boy Scout meeting, I was made aware of a policy about guns and Boy Scouts. I hadn't known that I couldn't attend as a parent while Open carrying. The meeting was at an American Legion hall, not a school or anything blatantly obvious. The only time guns are allowed is for events that help a scout in a related merit badge. I made the assumption Scouts would be pro 2A, I agree I should have asked more questions before I showed up breaking policy.

Currently, I have recieved an email response, and have sent a follow up asking for people further up the chain of command in the organization. Maybe, with a little understanding on my part from the people who created the policy and a little education to the people who created the policy, a change can be made.

I'm not asking for volunteers to be allowed to open carry or conceal carry, I am just starting with the parents who come and listen to the Scout meetings and are just there to hear everything that happens. (Asking a 6th grader about what happened at his meeting is fruitless)

Anywho, I know they have the right to have this policy and I'm not upset, I will do what I can to get the organization headed in the right direction, and if that fails, my son and I will just have to find something else to do on Monday nights. Our local gunrange has a great youth shooters option.

Cheers,

OCinBlaine

golddigger14s

Activist Member
This is very old policy. Myself, and a lot of the parents of other scouts in my son's troop are very pro 2A. It has nothing to do with location, it is about the BSA policy of no guns. The only time is at officially sanctioned BSA merit badge events, even then no OC/CC for anybody. I'm not going to say to not fight it, but you might have better luck getting them to be accepting of LBGT community. Being that the BSA is a private organization they can make the rules like COSTCO.

OCinBlaine

Yes, it's going to be difficult. I just wasn't going to walk away from the Scouting with giving it an invested effort. I received a follow up email with the number for the national office. So, that's my next step. Wish me luck, and I'll at least come away from this with an education in interacting with people I have never met. Every day has a new experience if you let it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I agree I should have asked more questions before I showed up breaking policy.

Why should anybody ask policy about a fundamental human right? Especially when its an organization dedicated to instilling manly virtues and American ideals (albeit statist ideals)?

You're not wrong for not asking; they're wrong for their inhumane policy that renders youths and their parents defenseless.

amzbrady

Wow, News to me too. I used to be a scout, and my son was also. I was an assistant scout master. I learned to shoot a bow and arrow, and a 22LR in scouts, made me proud when my son came back from a campout and told me he learned to shoot a 22LR.

acmariner99

Well shucks! I didn't know this either. I am an Eagle Scout and I practically spent my last summer camp at the range. I actually learned to shoot in Scouts. (Got both the rifle and shotgun shooting merit badges). Now the almighty question is: why? I would have thought that being able to protect yourself would be an important part of citizenship. Duty to God, Duty to Country, Duty to Self .. real hum dinger.

OCinBlaine

Citizen: That was my sarcastic statement, but your right. I shouldn't have to ask those questions before I go any where.

badkarma

It is easy. You are not allowed to have guns unless you’re at an approved range or on a hiking trip to do hunting/shooting sports. Although I don't agree with their rule, I follow it because it allows me the opportunity to go camping with my son and instruct our youth how to shoot safely. I'm now an instructor and going to be part of the pilot Pistol Shooting program this coming summer.

If I ever have the ear of someone at the National Level I will ask them if this is something that can be changed but until their policy changes, the benefits of scouting out weighs this bad policy.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...the benefits of scouting out weighs this bad policy.

They win.

The benefits of shopping at Costco outweigh....
The benefits of xxxxxxx outweigh.....

We hear this all the time, and this is why we are losing.

I grew up camping with my dad and friends. We didn't need no stinkin' Boy Scouts. And we carried guns.

I was a volunteer instructor a couple of years ago for the Boy Scouts Venture-whatever locally. When I showed up and was told I couldn't carry my sidearm, I was shocked. This wasn't an established range, either, it was a mountain well outside of town. There were even strict parking procedures for quick escape in case of forest fires. And we couldn't carry sidearms?! There is no excuse for that.

So I concealed one anyway, finished the day's activities that I had ignorantly agreed to do, and told them why I will never be back to help them again.

But as long as they have NRA-certified instructors willing to believe their ******** and help them anyway, they won't need me.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP They win.

The benefits of shopping at Costco outweigh....
The benefits of xxxxxxx outweigh.....

We hear this all the time, and this is why we are losing.

+1

They need an internal investigation to root out whichever traitors proposed and implemented the policy, then kick them out of the organization. The policy is too easily demonstrated to be misaligned with Scouting's purpose.

badkarma

No outsider has ever changed an internal policy so I can either leave or try to work with-in the system to make positive change.

GreatWhiteLlama

No outsider has ever changed an internal policy.. *snip*

Do you mean that no BSA policy has ever been changed because of influence by someone not associated with BSA?

If you mean in general, that is not correct. The gun prohibitionists have been successful as getting several businesses to change their policies.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Organizations like the Boy Scouts have the greatest contribution to the anti-gun culture in America. They love that they can tout adventure, camaraderie, and influence American politics and culture so greatly, and all but continue pretending that guns are something that you MIGHT one day be able to learn how to use, but other than that, they should be shunned even in the outdoors. That's despicable.

nadaslave

davidmcbeth

Banned
Really? So no Jews? No Mormon's (which coincidently are one of largest troop sponsors in the nation)?

No jews or mormons or other non-christians (i think it used to be only catholics -- i don't know if they changed to include all christians) are allowed into the boy scouts ... its a religious organization .. i recall courts even approving this policy.

So the three stooges were not scouts...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I went to school with lots of Scouts. Most of them were Mormons, some weren't religious at all. I don't know any who were Catholic.

skeith5

No jews or mormons or other non-christians (i think it used to be only catholics -- i don't know if they changed to include all christians) are allowed into the boy scouts ... its a religious organization .. i recall courts even approving this policy.

So the three stooges were not scouts...

Nothing could be farther from the truth. I won't get into the Mormons are Christians debate but being in scouts is a big thing within the Mormon community. I am an assistant leader for a Weblo troop and a Mormon.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2