Thread: Bank of America is denying gun related purchases using YOUR debit card. What!?!

Bank of America is denying gun related purchases using YOUR debit card. What!?!

Bank of America is denying gun related purchases using YOUR debit card. YOUR money. Along with WalMart not stocking ammo, something is seriously amiss. How many coincidences must occur before we see the light?

"Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

That is not ok. What is going on here.... This is getting very scary. In a side note I would take out my money from that bank. Cash is king. BOA are not nice people outside of this incident.

I am so glad I now use a credit union.

Banned
    So quit doing business with BOA. It really is that simple. There are plenty of banks who will let you charge gun-related purchases.

What bothers me more than anything is the apparent acceptance by this woman of BOA's policy. Ooooo....she registered a complaint....ooooooo. BOA is gonna hafta change their policy now.

Move your accounts. That is the only way to exert your power.

I'm tempted to open an account with them just so I can close it!

I'm tempted to open an account with them just so I can close it!

Not sure I believe this or not, but if the seller is using a SIC code relating to small arms or ammunition (and yes there are codes) they could set up to block the transaction.

Some SIC codes:
    3482 Small Arms Ammunition
    3483 Ammunition, Except for Small Arms
    3484 Small Arms
    3489 Ordnance and Accessories, NEC

link to a partial list: http://www.crfonline.org/surveys/dso/sic.html
    I stopped stocking for the zombie apocalypse. I now stock for the liberal apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasjayhawk View Post
    Not sure I believe this or not, but if the seller is using a SIC code relating to small arms or ammunition (and yes there are codes) they could set up to block the transaction.

Some SIC codes:
    3482 Small Arms Ammunition
    3483 Ammunition, Except for Small Arms
    3484 Small Arms
    3489 Ordnance and Accessories, NEC

link to a partial list: http://www.crfonline.org/surveys/dso/sic.html
    It's the same way my FSA card allows me to purchase contacts but not OTC medications. Your bank can get pretty detailed information about your purchases. Not just a dollar amount and merchant.

http://www.asiflex.com/debitcards.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invento...pproval_System

I think the call was legit but the employee thought she was talking about the dealer here in AZ they put a hold on.

http://www.kpho.com/story/20549134/v...s-over-product

ETA Oh, look. The firearms issue (not consumer purchases) was noted back in 2010.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/fe...-position.aspx
    Last edited by sharkey; 01-16-2013 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    So quit doing business with BOA. It really is that simple. There are plenty of banks who will let you charge gun-related purchases.

What bothers me more than anything is the apparent acceptance by this woman of BOA's policy. Ooooo....she registered a complaint....ooooooo. BOA is gonna hafta change their policy now.

Move your accounts. That is the only way to exert your power.
    And when every bank starts to deny questionable purchases?

Almost every business now requires you to sign an arbitration clause. There are no other options for some things, either you sign it or you go without. Imagine if the executive branch pushed Visa, MC, Discover, and AMEX to refuse to accept certain transactions? If they did it voluntarily it would be legal.

Just speaking hypothetically, again I think the employee was confused on the question.

Bank of America is denying gun related purchases using YOUR debit card. What!?!

pay cash and support local shops!
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

Simple fix.....take your cash out and buy what you want. No need to deal with BOA.

Quote Originally Posted by MamabearCali View Post
    Simple fix.....take your cash out and buy what you want. No need to deal with BOA.
    What is this cash you guys keep speaking of?

But really not everything can be fixed by the old "don't do business with them". What if I wanted to rent a car or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Devin Hutchison View Post
    You can rent a car from your bank? Yes. Everything can be fixed by the old "don't do business with them" primarily because of the fact without customers they will not be a business anymore.
    See above outlandish hypothetical about all credit card companies prohibiting certain transactions. I don't know anywhere to rent a car without a credit card (or debit).

You really think that if all credit card companies refused to complete firearm related transactions they'd go out of business? I wish but doubt they'd lose much money.

ETA. What if I want to get groped by TSA? I'm not even sure how to get on a plane with cash but I imagine it goes something like show up at airport and pray you get a seat (at least during peak travel times). When I travel should I pray for hotel vacancy too? Not with 3 kids. I like reservations.
    Last edited by sharkey; 01-16-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Boycott the TSA.....refuse to travel by air, and soon to be bus and/or train. You'd be surprised what lies just beyond the windows of your automobile1.

1exception: city folk.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Boycott the TSA.....refuse to travel by air, and soon to be bus and/or train. You'd be surprised what lies just beyond the windows of your automobile1.

Disclaimer:

City folk: you are city folk if both you and your "next door" neighbor can see the fence, from your kitchen window, that seperates your respective properties.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post

Soooo use my own car, sleep in it instead of hotels, turn around before I get where I was going before I run out of vacation time?

ETA. I can boycott work and not have to worry about cash or card, or car or hotel or .....

OK, I'm done with this as it was a stretch hypothetical anyway.
    Last edited by sharkey; 01-16-2013 at 11:25 AM.

I Called IT'S ALL RUMOR

I Called 3 Times and Spoke with 3 Different service Agents. They all Assured me that it's NOT TRUE...

(To TEST the theory I went to WALL MART... and Bought 2 Boxes of .45 with my BOAcredit card. No issues)

Two rumors down with one transaction

The other rumor was Walmart suspending sales of Gun and Ammo...

So much for internet accuracy///

Freeflight.
    And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms....The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson in a letter to William S. Smith in 1787. Taken from Jefferson, On Democracy 20, S. Padover ed., 1939

Free Flight

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    Soooo use my own car, sleep in it instead of hotels, turn around before I get where I was going before I run out of vacation time?

ETA. I can boycott work and not have to worry about cash or card, or car or hotel or .....

OK, I'm done with this as it was a stretch hypothetical anyway.
    I do not know where you live in Arizona but the Flagstaff area would keep me close to home. The desert may seem featureless to many but not to me, and Flagstaff is not what I would call the desert. Here in Missouri, I need not travel more than two hours (Ozarks) to see some of the most beautiful country in America. Keeps me close to home and the "view" never gets boring. Not very worldly of me.

To each their own.

Don't know how it all works, but I tested something today.

I put a Colt M4 SBR (semi-auto) on my BOA credit card today. Not a debit card, so that's different, yes, but it was clearly sold from "Wild West Guns."
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Bank of America is denying gun related purchases using YOUR debit card. YOUR money....
    I just had a thought. Aren't these debit cards backed or somehow linked with VISA? I wonder if there might be some violation of the agreement with VISA.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

This may be a stupid question (I hate banks, so don't know much about them) but...is it even legal for them to deny usage on SOME things, like firearm related stuff? 0.o

How many times does Bank of American have to cross you to leave them. Its really hard to feel sorry for people who know their history and stick with them.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

I think this may not be a "new" thing for BOA. I bought some rifles last Oct. and was going to put one on my BOA card for a few days so as not to hit my debt card so hard. The CC was declined even though the open credit on that card is a good 5 times what I was trying to charge. Ended up just using the debit card and did not think anymore about it. But now reading this I think it may be something they have been doing for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    This may be a stupid question (I hate banks, so don't know much about them) but...is it even legal for them to deny usage on SOME things, like firearm related stuff? 0.o
    Your bank doesn't control what's allowed or not for consumer purchases. The credit card companies do.
    Your bank does control what is sold if they're your merchant account. For example most merchants will not accept telemarketing or travel accounts.

Visa specifically states they take no stance on legal purchases. http://www.forbes.com/sites/suwcharm...ensor-fiction/

Nor does Mastercard http://www.bannedwriters.com/2012/03...aypal-erotica/
    Last edited by sharkey; 01-17-2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: fixed link and add clarification