• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bank of America is denying gun related purchases using YOUR debit card. What!?!

paramedic70002

Bank of America is denying gun related purchases using YOUR debit card. YOUR money. Along with WalMart not stocking ammo, something is seriously amiss. How many coincidences must occur before we see the light?

[video=youtube;x4f2h5EiWPY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x4f2h5EiWPY[/video]

MamabearCali

That is not ok. What is going on here.... This is getting very scary. In a side note I would take out my money from that bank. Cash is king. BOA are not nice people outside of this incident.

eye95

So quit doing business with BOA. It really is that simple. There are plenty of banks who will let you charge gun-related purchases.

What bothers me more than anything is the apparent acceptance by this woman of BOA's policy. Ooooo....she registered a complaint....ooooooo. BOA is gonna hafta change their policy now.

Move your accounts. That is the only way to exert your power.

Lasjayhawk

Not sure I believe this or not, but if the seller is using a SIC code relating to small arms or ammunition (and yes there are codes) they could set up to block the transaction.

Some SIC codes:
3482 Small Arms Ammunition
3483 Ammunition, Except for Small Arms
3484 Small Arms
3489 Ordnance and Accessories, NEC

link to a partial list: http://www.crfonline.org/surveys/dso/sic.html

sharkey

Not sure I believe this or not, but if the seller is using a SIC code relating to small arms or ammunition (and yes there are codes) they could set up to block the transaction.

Some SIC codes:
3482 Small Arms Ammunition
3483 Ammunition, Except for Small Arms
3484 Small Arms
3489 Ordnance and Accessories, NEC

link to a partial list: http://www.crfonline.org/surveys/dso/sic.html

It's the same way my FSA card allows me to purchase contacts but not OTC medications. Your bank can get pretty detailed information about your purchases. Not just a dollar amount and merchant.

http://www.asiflex.com/debitcards.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventory_Information_Approval_System

I think the call was legit but the employee thought she was talking about the dealer here in AZ they put a hold on.

http://www.kpho.com/story/20549134/valley-gun-manufacturer-boa-froze-funds-over-product

ETA Oh, look. The firearms issue (not consumer purchases) was noted back in 2010.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/federal-legislation/2010/bank-of-america-clarifies-position.aspx

Last edited:

sharkey

So quit doing business with BOA. It really is that simple. There are plenty of banks who will let you charge gun-related purchases.

What bothers me more than anything is the apparent acceptance by this woman of BOA's policy. Ooooo....she registered a complaint....ooooooo. BOA is gonna hafta change their policy now.

Move your accounts. That is the only way to exert your power.

And when every bank starts to deny questionable purchases?

Almost every business now requires you to sign an arbitration clause. There are no other options for some things, either you sign it or you go without. Imagine if the executive branch pushed Visa, MC, Discover, and AMEX to refuse to accept certain transactions? If they did it voluntarily it would be legal.

Just speaking hypothetically, again I think the employee was confused on the question.

sharkey

Simple fix.....take your cash out and buy what you want. No need to deal with BOA.

What is this cash you guys keep speaking of?

But really not everything can be fixed by the old "don't do business with them". What if I wanted to rent a car or something?

sharkey

You can rent a car from your bank? Yes. Everything can be fixed by the old "don't do business with them" primarily because of the fact without customers they will not be a business anymore.

See above outlandish hypothetical about all credit card companies prohibiting certain transactions. I don't know anywhere to rent a car without a credit card (or debit).

You really think that if all credit card companies refused to complete firearm related transactions they'd go out of business? I wish but doubt they'd lose much money.

ETA. What if I want to get groped by TSA? I'm not even sure how to get on a plane with cash but I imagine it goes something like show up at airport and pray you get a seat (at least during peak travel times). When I travel should I pray for hotel vacancy too? Not with 3 kids. I like reservations.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Boycott the TSA.....refuse to travel by air, and soon to be bus and/or train. You'd be surprised what lies just beyond the windows of your automobile[SUP]1[/SUP].

[SUP]1[/SUP]exception: city folk.

OC for ME

Boycott the TSA.....refuse to travel by air, and soon to be bus and/or train. You'd be surprised what lies just beyond the windows of your automobile[SUP]1[/SUP].

Disclaimer:

City folk: you are city folk if both you and your "next door" neighbor can see the fence, from your kitchen window, that seperates your respective properties.

sharkey

Soooo use my own car, sleep in it instead of hotels, turn around before I get where I was going before I run out of vacation time? :lol:

ETA. I can boycott work and not have to worry about cash or card, or car or hotel or .....

OK, I'm done with this as it was a stretch hypothetical anyway.

Last edited:

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
I Called IT'S ALL RUMOR

I Called 3 Times and Spoke with 3 Different service Agents. They all Assured me that it's NOT TRUE...

(To TEST the theory I went to WALL MART... and Bought 2 Boxes of .45 with my BOAcredit card. No issues)

Two rumors down with one transaction

The other rumor was Walmart suspending sales of Gun and Ammo...

So much for internet accuracy///

Freeflight.

OC for ME

Soooo use my own car, sleep in it instead of hotels, turn around before I get where I was going before I run out of vacation time? :lol:

ETA. I can boycott work and not have to worry about cash or card, or car or hotel or .....

OK, I'm done with this as it was a stretch hypothetical anyway.
I do not know where you live in Arizona but the Flagstaff area would keep me close to home. The desert may seem featureless to many but not to me, and Flagstaff is not what I would call the desert. Here in Missouri, I need not travel more than two hours (Ozarks) to see some of the most beautiful country in America. Keeps me close to home and the "view" never gets boring. Not very worldly of me.

To each their own.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Don't know how it all works, but I tested something today.

I put a Colt M4 SBR (semi-auto) on my BOA credit card today. Not a debit card, so that's different, yes, but it was clearly sold from "Wild West Guns."

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Bank of America is denying gun related purchases using YOUR debit card. YOUR money....

I just had a thought. Aren't these debit cards backed or somehow linked with VISA? I wonder if there might be some violation of the agreement with VISA.