• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sig P226 in 357sig

exelci

Im in the market for my first sig but before i buy i need some clarification and advise.

Here it goes..

As far as i understand i can get either a .357 or .40 and just change barrels with out a problem, BUT can i also shoot 9mm? and if so, should i get the sig in .357 or 40? are the internals the same with the sig P226 in 357 then with the 40? i assume not because .357 has more presure.

Will i get more sight radious with one over the other? advantages?

So.. Sig P226 .357sig Or Sig P226 in .40s&w ????

thank you for your knowledge.

markand

can i also shoot 9mm?
Yes, 9mm aftermarket barrels are available for the P226.

should i get the sig in .357 or 40?
Personal preference. Both calibers are effective. There are several factors to consider. The .357SIG round is faster and has more energy than the .40, but makes a smaller hole (the .40 bullet has a larger diameter).

are the internals the same
Internals are all the same. You should be able to use the same magazines. Don't need to change springs or anything but the barrel to switch from .40 to .357SIG to 9mm.

Will i get more sight radious with one over the other?
Since the slide is the same, the sight radius is the same.

advantages?
See above. An additional consideration might be price and availability. .357SIG ammo is more expensive and somewhat more difficult to find, likely due to the higher popularity of the .40 caliber over the .357SIG.

Hope this is helpful.

exelci

Very helpfull markand, thank you. I will go for the Sig P226 tac ops in .357sig then ill get the .40 & the 9mm barrel. Nothing a little overtime at work cant buy.

One more thing.

Will this barrel conversion's void sig's warranty? will the gun be fine or will it cause Abnormal wear? im guessing not..

Last edited:

markand

Will this barrel conversion's void sig's warranty?
I wouldn't think so, but I can't speak for SIG on warranty issues.

will the gun be fine or will it cause Abnormal wear? im guessing not..
I have a P229 that came to me as .40. I later bought a factory .357SIG and a 9mm Bar-Sto barrel (aftermarket producer of barrels and accessories for SIGs as well as other firearms). SIG doesn't offer a 9mm barrel conversion for .40 or .357SIG guns. I've noticed no abnormal wear on the gun.

FYI, the .40 barrel from SIG will set you back $199 (http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/sig-sauer-barrels-90.aspx). A 9mm barrel for the P226 from Bar-Sto Precision Machine will run $215 (http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=226&cco=66)

Check out the classified forum on www.SIGForum.com (http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/350601935). Occasionally, used barrels will be offered for sale at a significant discount over new. You may find a gun store or other supplier that has the barrels available.

hollabakzach23

Unless you happen to be dead set on a sig, which you may be and this comment will be useless. Why not go for a glock if you're looking to swap the barrels for whatever reason. When I bought my 23 I wanted to carry 40cal because I can handle shooting that but I like the availibilty and price of 9mm so I bought 9mm lonewolf conversion barrel and some g19 mags to take to the range. And the barrel was only like 120 bucks. Like I said if you're dead set on a sig nevermond me but just throwing out another feesable option!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

exelci

Unless you happen to be dead set on a sig, which you may be and this comment will be useless. Why not go for a glock if you're looking to swap the barrels for whatever reason. When I bought my 23 I wanted to carry 40cal because I can handle shooting that but I like the availibilty and price of 9mm so I bought 9mm lonewolf conversion barrel and some g19 mags to take to the range. And the barrel was only like 120 bucks. Like I said if you're dead set on a sig nevermond me but just throwing out another feesable option!

i will eventually buy me a Glock in 357sig and another in 10mm wich in my opinion are the BEST glock models. For me the best 45acp is a USP, best 9mm & .357 a Sig226 or 229, best 10mm Glock.

The stragedy behind my gun collection is buy foreign first. i have a German USP, Belgium 5.7 and now want swiss.. i treat my guns like i treat my woman.

i get them really dirty, but i like to keep them clean.;)

thank you for your recommendation, it is being considered for the future.

REALteach4u

If you get it in 357 Sig, make sure to get the 40 barrel as well.

Post up a review on the 226 in 357 Sig if you would. I had a 228DAK in 357 sig, loved the round but the DAK trigger didn't agree with my grip and hand size.

WCEarp

My current carry gun is a P226R DAK in .40 S&W. I absolutely loved it. Then I switched to the E2 grip to compensate for having smaller hands. Now I enjoy the gun even more. After some dry fire practice to become accustomed with the new grip my patterns have tightened up considerably.

My suggestion would be to find some range rentals in both 226 and 229. Find one with the E2 grip and one with the classic grip. And if you can get a hold of a DAK I would try that too. Some people shoot each configuration differently. It would be worth your time to find the one that shoots the best for you, than having to convert after the fact.

As far as caliber goes, the 40 is easier to find in my area during this shortage. Also, bullets for reloading has been easier to find. For 9mm I would go with a completely different gun. The 9mm lends itself very well to the polymer guns.

If you like the classic grips you will have to go used or old stock. SIG has E2 grips now on all of their "classic" guns.

hollabakzach23

i will eventually buy me a Glock in 357sig and another in 10mm wich in my opinion are the BEST glock models. For me the best 45acp is a USP, best 9mm & .357 a Sig226 or 229, best 10mm Glock.

The stragedy behind my gun collection is buy foreign first. i have a German USP, Belgium 5.7 and now want swiss.. i treat my guns like i treat my woman.

i get them really dirty, but i like to keep them clean.;)

thank you for your recommendation, it is being considered for the future.

Hahaha there's no way to argue with that even though I'm a glock fanboy. I almost got a 10mm glock when I was shopping for my carry gun bbut could never get a definite answer as to converting the barrel like I can with the. 40 to 9mm set up I use for the range. My next purchase will be a 10mm though I'm sure! Good luck with your hunt and can't wait to see what ya end up picking!