Thread: Any Experiences Open Carrying A Handcannon In Central VA (Judge etc) ?

Any Experiences Open Carrying A Handcannon In Central VA (Judge etc) ?

I just purchased a Public Defender for my wife and I am thinking back to the story a few months ago about the kids in Lynchburg getting hassled for a Mac11. If I recall correctly the cop made a big todo about "a gun like that".Any experiences carrying big revolvers like the judge or similar? I don't have the pistol in hand yet to test fire it. Anyone have thoughts on the recoil etc?

Founder's Club Member
    Hey, PeterNap! Half_life thinks a Judge is a big revolver!

Shhhh. Don't tell him about Ruger Redhawks and Alaskans, nor S&W 629s.

You should be fine, HL. There are plenty of revolvers of a similar size and larger that are just fine for carry. For example, a 4" S&W .357mag six-shooter is plenty big, slightly longer than a 1911 if I recall. So are the Ruger .357s with 4" barrels.

Judges and Defenders have been around for a while now. And, its not like they are a hunting revolver. If a cop says something about your Defender, he woulda said something about anything else you were carrying, too.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-16-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Uhm, a pistol is a pistol.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJEEPER View Post
    Uhm, a pistol is a pistol.
    Yep. Even if they have the silencer on the wrong end.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Hey, PeterNap! Half_life thinks a Judge is a big revolver!

Shhhh. Don't tell him about Ruger Redhawks and Alaskans, nor S&W 629s.

You should be fine, HL. There are plenty of revolvers of a similar size and larger that are just fine for carry. For example, a 4" S&W .357mag six-shooter is plenty big, slightly longer than a 1911 if I recall. So are the Ruger .357s with 4" barrels.

Judges and Defenders have been around for a while now. And, its not like they are a hunting revolver. If a cop says something about your Defender, he woulda said something about anything else you were carrying, too.
    Sorry I asked. I have fired .44 with 9" barrels and .357 with knee length barrels . Now how many of you have pulled the trigger on one of these
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5in54mk45.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	9839

This gun is hand loaded,hand aimed, and hand fired(at least it can be). I think that qualifies it as a handgun.

Obama may be anti-gun, but anti-cannon......I dunno.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	obama and big cannon.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	9841
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I don't know about big revolvers and the like, but I OC'd my XD in Lynchburg this past weekend. It was only for gas and a quick run inside the convenience store, but I didn't have any problems.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    The Judge will be fine. It's not that big. I've found it's best not to carry the biggers places where I didn't want to attract attention. Cracker Barrel is a good example. I carry Girlie guns like Glocks there

Founder's Club Member
    You should be dandy half_life. Our tall bearded friend here used to OC a Judge with him everywhere before he switched to a Glock and he had no issue with it. I occasionally carry my Taurus revolver with a 6 1/2" barrel and don't have any hassle either. Of course with the size and the big tan holster it does get noticed more than my more compact pistols.

All of my carry guns are Full sized.... Coonan, Glock24 and Glock 20, LAR Grizzley, S&W 610, Rossi Ranch hand , no issues.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Just remember, that a bigger gun isnt necessarily better contrary to popular belief.

If I had my AR pistol on while my XDm40 is on my hip, In a crisis I would grab for my XDm40 first because it is quicker to dispatch.